Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good34
- robgmtLichfield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesHistory lesson you can enjoy and benefit fromThursday, 26th July 2018Well worth a visit before you explore the Cathedral and castle sites. The centre gives you the full background in fun and lighthearted ways to why the Cathedral and indeed, Durham, was created where... Read full review
- Brenda HHawthorn,Co.DurhamTrip Type:FamilyExcellentWednesday, 25th July 2018We have visited here many times and always find the service excellent, always a very friendly helpful service. There is a reception desk and shop. A play area for children to dress up and learn of... Read full review
- Suzy247Lincoln, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGo and see the film !!Wednesday, 18th July 2018The film is on a continuous loop, really good 'snap shot ' of the history of the catherdral, aided by little lego people !! Good for all ages. Excellent before seeing the main sights. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2018 Autumn/Winter (23 Sept 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10 Apr-2 July, and 23 Sep-29 Oct, 0930-1700, 3-23 Jul, 0930-1800, 23 Jul-22 Sep Sat, Sun, 0930-1800,
Please note the Visitor Centre will be open weekends only from 24 Jul-22 Sep (Closed Mon-Fri due to roadworks).
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.