Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good43
- johnhouston2Knaresborough, United KingdomA very useful visitor information resource.Friday, 28th January 2022With very helpful staff on duty when we visited, we found this visitor centre to be smart, modern and interesting. As well as lots of very good information boards about the origins and growth of the... Read full review
- Alison CIlkley, United KingdomPleasant ExperienceThursday, 21st April 2022A small but varied exhibition of military, literary, and archaeological artefacts is on show here, all based on Durham’s rich historical significance. I enjoyed looking at all the collections and... Read full review
- annieS2021Newport, United KingdomInteresting to have a look even if you are not a big museum personMonday, 20th June 2022Plenty to see and read if you are inclined although only small exhibitions. The World Heritage section and the visitor centre and museum are all in one building now so you can dip into a bit of each... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Season (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Except: 24 December and 31 Dec, open 10:00am- 14:00, Closed: 1 January, 25 December, 26 December.