Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good26
- Peter3101Edinburgh, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery helpful staff; good displaysThursday, 18th January 2018A useful facility with knowledgeable and helpful staff. On our visit there was a five-part film showing on Durham Cathedral - and it was very interesting. Oddly the story was told using Lego... Read full review
- Steve WGreater Manchester, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesTimewarpTuesday, 5th December 2017Goodness how people lived back then but this particular it snowed and the wind was blowing we felt like we had gone back to the Dickensian era. Read full review
- Thomas VOakland, CaliforniaGood Place to Get infoTuesday, 28th November 2017This is a great center where you can get lots of information on Durham and the region. Very helpful staff. Lots of brochures. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2018 Autumn/Winter (23 Sept 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10 Apr-2 July, and 23 Sep-29 Oct, 0930-1700, 3-23 Jul, 0930-1800, 23 Jul-22 Sep Sat, Sun, 0930-1800,
Please note the Visitor Centre will be open weekends only from 24 Jul-22 Sep (Closed Mon-Fri due to roadworks).
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.