Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good35
- Frank SBognor Regis, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery HelpfulMonday, 17th September 2018We booked ourselves the castle tour here & found the staff very helpful all round. Anything you need to know & they know it. Read full review
- cawblimeyDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyPleasant and helpful staff.Sunday, 16th September 2018Very interesting place with child friendly activities and plenty of information and leaflets. Some good exhibits on display. Will go again at a less busy time of year. Read full review
- casefamOttawa. CanadaTrip Type:FamilyExcellent.Tuesday, 11th September 2018Durham Cathedral is one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in the UK. When you go do take the guided tour. There is a modest fee of £5 00. It houses the shrines of St Cuthbert and... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2018 Autumn/Winter (23 Sept 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10 Apr-2 July, and 23 Sep-29 Oct, 0930-1700, 3-23 Jul, 0930-1800, 23 Jul-22 Sep Sat, Sun, 0930-1800,
Please note the Visitor Centre will be open weekends only from 24 Jul-22 Sep (Closed Mon-Fri due to roadworks).
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.