Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good28
- Davina LGlasgow, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDidn't grab my attention as much as the overall visitSunday, 22nd April 2018The world heritage site is amazing but the visitor centre could be better. It needs to wet the appetite for the visit, get you excited and be more interactive. As it stands it doesn't do the site... Read full review
- BeverlyBeluryFountain Hills, ArizonaTrip Type:CouplesClarified the CathedralTuesday, 27th March 2018The movie at the visitor center was a great way to summarize what we saw and learned at the cathedral. Definitely worth a visit to see the movie. Read full review
- sheepygoldlondonTrip Type:CouplesA first rate visitor centreSunday, 25th March 2018This visitor center has been refurbished. There is a very worthwhile video on the history of Durham, some very nice original artwork plus all the leaflets and local information you would expect. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2018 Autumn/Winter (23 Sept 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10 Apr-2 July, and 23 Sep-29 Oct, 0930-1700, 3-23 Jul, 0930-1800, 23 Jul-22 Sep Sat, Sun, 0930-1800,
Please note the Visitor Centre will be open weekends only from 24 Jul-22 Sep (Closed Mon-Fri due to roadworks).
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.