Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good32
- phyllis667Bradenton, FloridaTrip Type:CouplesQuite informativeWednesday, 6th June 2018View the small exhibit and see the video. Very helpful staff before you visit the Cathedral and the Castle Read full review
- Jae55Bury, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayWatch the filmTuesday, 5th June 2018Not much to see in this place but the film is really a must if you want to set the scene for visits to the historical sites of Durham. It doesn't last long and is free but provides information in a... Read full review
- FondGrandadFalkirkTrip Type:CouplesAn introduction to the Cathedral and Castle and to World Heritage sitesThursday, 31st May 2018This exhibition, which is free, shows five films in a continuous loop which together explain what makes a World Heritage Site and why Durham Cathedral and Castle are so special. It is probably useful... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2018 Autumn/Winter (23 Sept 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10 Apr-2 July, and 23 Sep-29 Oct, 0930-1700, 3-23 Jul, 0930-1800, 23 Jul-22 Sep Sat, Sun, 0930-1800,
Please note the Visitor Centre will be open weekends only from 24 Jul-22 Sep (Closed Mon-Fri due to roadworks).
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.