**Due to the new government guidelines regarding COVID19, Brancepeth Castle is currently closed**
Brancepeth is one of the oldest castles in the North East. The building today is a combination of the Nevilles' medieval stronghold and the grand country house created for the wealthy Russell family in Regency times. The castle is open for tours on selected dates from April through to December.
Tours last approximately an hour to an hour and a quarter, and cover the main rooms on the ground floor and the medieval cellars. This is a historic building retaining many of its original features; as a result, there is unfortunately no direct wheelchair access in 2020. Most of the tour is on the ground floor, which is all on one level and a wheelchair can be used, however there is a short staircase of 7 steps to reach the ground floor. Visiting the medieval cellars involves steps and uneven floors, and the castle courtyard is uneven in places. If in doubt, please contact the castle office for advice. For specific tour days and times please refer to https://www.brancepethcastle.org.uk/castle-tours.html.
No advance booking is necessary for individuals or small groups of up to 9 people. Please arrive at the gatehouse 10 minutes before the start of your chosen tour as we aim to start each one at the scheduled time.Tours for groups of 10 or more can be arranged for additional dates and can focus on a particular theme or interest. Refreshments can also be provided, from lunch to afternoon tea.
Pay at gate.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£10.00 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16 - must be accompanied by an adult)||£3.00 per person per day|
Accompanied children under 10 are free. Entry is free for members of Historic Houses, and there is a discounted price of £8.00 for members of the National Trust or English Heritage.
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good3
- john hHartlepool, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCraft fayreFriday, 26th July 2019Lively setting for an arts and craft fayre. Superb castle and in great condition, thanks to the family who own and carry out work go keep it looking good Read full review
- RichardB6562Chester-le-Street, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesMemorableFriday, 16th August 2019Today we did a tour of Brancepeth Castle and having returned home I can't stop thinking about it! The place is massive, from the outside it is a great hulk of a building. Family owned for the last 40... Read full review
- lollipop1Sunderland, United KingdomAmazing!Friday, 20th September 2019Have always wanted to visit the castle as have been past it countless times, got the chance last night to go with a dear friend to the Heritage tour. The guide ( who is fortunate to be the occupier... Read full review
|2021 (1 Apr 2021 - 2 Dec 2021)|
* Tours will be held on various days throughout the season, please contact the Castle for details on 0191 378 9670. Alternatively refer to website for specific tour times->> https://www.brancepethcastle.org.uk/castle-tours.html