Ushaw is a place where wonder, curiosity and amazement collide.
Our arts, heritage and events venue is waiting for you to escape the everyday, stop the world for a while and be surprised.
Tucked away in beautiful open countryside near Durham City, Ushaw's Historic House, Chapels & Gardens are open to all. Young or old, each corner of Ushaw is a curiosity, waiting to wow.
Lose yourself in our grounds, be amazed by beautiful buildings and marvel at centuries of art, history and heritage. Explore woodland trails and rolling fields, where you'll discover eclectic artworks, majestic carved creatures and pockets of quiet contemplation.
Our Historic House is beautiful. Plenty call it breath-taking. It was shaped in the mind of Augustus Pugin - architect for the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.
We want you to Ushaw-in unforgettable experiences, with family, friends, work mates, a furry companion - yup we're dog friendly - or content in blissful solitude.
Our packed calendar of events is a great reason to keep dropping by. From al-freco cinema screenings to live music, family fun, treasure trails and crafts, theatre, dance, meditation and wellness; there's always something to capture your imagination at Ushaw.
If we've left you wanting more, it's easy to keep the magic alive with our Annual Membership which includes unlimited visits, free entry to our 'Sounds on the Bounds' live music events and much more.
We are open, affordable and here for everyone.
Our mission is to provide an experience beyond belief, to amaze and entertain you all - from family fun seekers to doting dog walkers and fine art lovers.
Ushaw in good times - plan your visit today
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Annual Pass||£19.00 per ticket type|
|Adult Day Pass||£8.00 per ticket type|
|Child Annual Pass (5-18 years)||£12.50 per ticket type|
|Child Day Pass (5-18 years)||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Family Annual Pass (2 adults + children)||£39.00 per ticket type|
|Local Adult Annual Pass||£9.50 per ticket type|
|Local Family Annual Pass (2 adults + children)||£19.50 per ticket type|
Under 5s - Free. Annual Membership: 12 months pass for Main House & Chapels; Gardens & Parkland; Parking; Outdoor Music Programme; Special Offers.
Local Annual Membership refers to postcodes DH7 9/ DH7 7
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good34
- tim50stroudStroud, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAmazing buildingMonday, 15th August 2022Fantastic place, incredible history and excellent value for money. Volunteer staff all knowledgable and very helpful. Astonishing building, totally unexpected. Beautiful painting, tileswork and... Read full review
- Dawnes7560Birmingham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA great way to spend a couple of hoursWednesday, 24th August 2022Lovely place , plenty to see and not too busy. The grounds were very nice and the chapels d history were really interesting. There was a railway poster exhibition ….not my kind of thing at all ..but... Read full review
- O357SLjimbTrip Type:FamilyFinding a hidden gemFriday, 26th August 2022Amazing hidden gem. So impressed with the chapel, lecture theatre and art exhibition. The history of the place is found everywhere, in buildings, pictures and information boards. Well worth a visit Read full review
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- COVID-19 measures in place
- Outside seating
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted - In outdoor areas on a lead
- Event Venue
- Forest Location
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
|Ushaw Historic House, Chapels & Gardens (1 July 2021 - 31 Dec 2022)|
|Monday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Parking: Ushaw has ample parking spaces, bear right at the fork, as you come up the driveway to the Visitor Car park. Parking is included with admission.
We have four Accessible Parking spaces next to this entrance (24 hours access). Level access can be found here, with full access throughout our chapels, cafe, theatre and exhibition spaces.
For directions (PLEASE USE - SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of Darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction 63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw is signposted (2 1/2 miles).
For directions (PLEASE USE - SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Public Transport Directions
Scarlett Band service 52: direct from Durham Bus Station to Ushaw driveway.