Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago to educate students for the Catholic priesthood, the vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers, and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Situated in acres of gardens; parkland and woodland which provides an amazing array of outdoor spaces for families to enjoy. Conveniently located, just 4 miles from Durham City, Ushaw offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; Divines Tearoom offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit our beautiful Chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE - SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £6 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good28
- ann vTrip Type:Friends getawayUnexpected treatSunday, 13th October 2019What an amazing community asset. Pugin architecture at its best. Entry fee a reasonable £3. Excellent knowledgeable volunteers and great cafe. Read full review
- victorian986Gateshead, United KingdomBeautifulSunday, 13th October 2019I visited recently for the first time and actually had no idea the place existed! It is also now known as Ushaw Historic House, Chapels & Gardens, and is a former Catholic seminary. It was founded in... Read full review
- BananasandwichesTrip Type:Friends getawayHistorically importantWednesday, 6th November 2019We visited for a look around and have lunch. The buildings are very interesting telling the story of the school and seminary, both in use until very recently. Lunch in the refectory was good and the... Read full review
|2018/19 (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Ushaw is open Monday to Saturday 11:00 - 15:00
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).