Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago to educate students for the Catholic priesthood, the vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers, and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Situated in acres of gardens; parkland and woodland which provides an amazing array of outdoor spaces for families to enjoy. Conveniently located, just 4 miles from Durham City, Ushaw offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; Divines Tearoom offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit our beautiful Chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE - SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £6 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good29
- johnrnickDurham, United KingdomA little-known treasureWednesday, 12th February 2020This is one of the unsung gems of Durham. About three miles from the centre of Durham City is this Pugin-designed former college for training Catholic priests as late as 2011. It was an entirely... Read full review
- allhyxukCrook, United KingdomGreat place to visitSaturday, 15th February 2020Lovely place to visit fantastic architecture and the stained glass windows are beautiful you can't take it all in at one visit there are so many things to see the restaurant is fantastic and serve... Read full review
- JillThompson02Barnsley, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA brilliant findThursday, 27th February 2020Went to choose some shoes from Hand dyed shoe company who rent a office in the building so this place completed our day . What a wonderful place and a pleasant surprise when we were not expecting... Read full review
|2019/20 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Mondays to Saturday : 11:00 - 16:00, last entry 15:00. Hot food served in cafe until 14:00. Ushaw has ample space across several different car parks. Parking is free.
Level access can be found at the rear of the building, with disability access throughout our chapels and exhibitions.
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).