Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago to educate students for the Catholic priesthood, the vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers, and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Situated in acres of gardens; parkland and woodland which provides an amazing array of outdoor spaces for families to enjoy. Conveniently located, just 4 miles from Durham City, Ushaw offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; Divines Tearoom offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit our beautiful Chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE - SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £6 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good29
- MysticmugMorley, United KingdomUnknown surprise.Saturday, 28th December 2019A catholic city just outside Durham, an interesting place with strange future a head. Beautiful gothic chapels to be seen, there is much work to do to restore this heritage place. Half of the place... Read full review
- kentJoeBromley, KentTrip Type:FamilyBeautiful buildings. Great lunchFriday, 3rd January 2020Really interesting place to visit outside Durham. Calm sense of place. Cheap wholesome lunch. Beautiful chapel Read full review
- John WDurham, United KingdomHistorical.Wednesday, 8th January 2020Ushaw College is well worth a visit. It has some beautiful Gothic features and a strong religious history. The main chapel is awesome in it’s beauty. If you have an opportunity to attend a service... Read full review
|2019/20 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Mondays to Saturday : 11:00 - 16:00, last entry 15:00. Hot food served in cafe until 14:00. Ushaw has ample space across several different car parks. Parking is free.
Level access can be found at the rear of the building, with disability access throughout our chapels and exhibitions.
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).