Ushaw is a place where wonder, curiosity and amazement collide.
Our arts, heritage and events venue is waiting for you to escape the everyday, stop the world for a while and be surprised.
Tucked away in beautiful open countryside near Durham City, Ushaw's Historic House, Chapels & Gardens are open to all. Young or old, each corner of Ushaw is a curiosity, waiting to wow.
Lose yourself in our grounds, be amazed by beautiful buildings and marvel at centuries of art, history and heritage. Explore woodland trails and rolling fields, where you'll discover eclectic artworks, majestic carved creatures and pockets of quiet contemplation.
Our Historic House is beautiful. Plenty call it breath-taking. It was shaped in the mind of Augustus Pugin - architect for the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.
We want you to Ushaw-in unforgettable experiences, with family, friends, work mates, a furry companion - yup our gardens and grounds are dog friendly - or content in blissful solitude.
Our packed calendar of events is a great reason to keep dropping by. From classic car shows to live music, family fun, treasure trails and crafts, theatre, dance, meditation and wellness; there's always something to capture your imagination at Ushaw.
If we've left you wanting more, it's easy to keep the magic alive with our Annual Membership which includes unlimited visits, free entry to our 'Sounds on the Bounds' live music events and much more.
We are open, affordable and here for everyone.
Our mission is to provide an experience beyond belief, to amaze and entertain you all - from family fun seekers to doting dog walkers and fine art lovers.
Ushaw in good times - plan your visit today
**Accessibility: It is important to us that our House and Gardens can be enjoyed by everyone. Our Ornamental Gardens have pathways that are suitable for wheelchairs and other walking aides.
The East Wing entrance provides accessible access to all our buildings including our Chapels, Café, Theatre and Exhibition spaces.
Accessible parking is available by the East Wing. Please call at the Visitor Centre car park and our staff will give you access to the route and alert colleagues in the main house to your arrival. **
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Annual Pass||£19.00 per ticket type|
|Adult Day Pass||£8.00 per ticket type|
|Child Annual Pass (5-18 years)||£12.50 per ticket type|
|Child Day Pass (5-18 years)||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Family Annual Pass (2 adults + children)||£39.00 per ticket type|
|Local Adult Annual Pass||£9.50 per ticket type|
|Local Family Annual Pass (2 adults + children)||£19.50 per ticket type|
Under 5s - Free. Annual Membership: 12 months pass for Main House & Chapels; Gardens & Parkland; Parking; Outdoor Music Programme; Special Offers.
Local Annual Membership refers to postcodes DH7 9/ DH7 7
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good38
- Gary MLondon, United KingdomVisit to Ushaw HouseTuesday, 24th October 2023Very interesting house and history which I had no previous knowledge of. The chapels are particularly stunning. Cafeteria provides good food and drink Read full review
- Member234HalloweenSunday, 29th October 2023I’m sorry to write this poor review as we have enjoyed previous trips to Ushaw, however, the Halloween Scary Fairy Tales event was terrible! I appreciate that the ‘characters’ were from their amateur... Read full review
- joannesB3218EIDoncaster, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful well worth 3 miles from DurhamSunday, 5th November 2023What a beautiful place. So glad we drove the 3 miles from Durham to see it. I wish we could have visits the services. It’s cold inside but this is the best chapel and church I have seen in the uk Read full review
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted - In outdoor areas on a lead
- Event Venue
- Forest Location
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
|House, Chapels & Gardens (1 Apr 2023 - 22 Dec 2023)|
|Monday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)|
|Monday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Ushaw Café, open 11am - 3pm
Check website for Christmas and New Year opening times.
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of Darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction 63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw is signposted (2 1/2 miles).
For directions (PLEASE USE - SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Public Transport Directions
Scarlett Band service 52: direct from Durham Bus Station to Ushaw driveway.