Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago just outside Durham City to educate students for the Catholic priesthood. The vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Ushaw has recently opened the doors of its historic estate for wedding receptions. The gardens, parkland and spectacular architecture present picturesque surroundings and is the perfect place to celebrate your special day. Ushaw also offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; The Refectory Cafe' Divines offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit the beautiful chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £5 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good24
- Michael NCheadle Hulme, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesUnusual CollegeSunday, 28th July 2019College has only been open to the public for a few years, what a hidden gem. Parts are buildings are the university and not accessible. Was a seminary and the chapels are beautiful. Read full review
- tombriton65Sunderland, United KingdomA pious welcomeSunday, 11th August 2019A beautiful building which was formerly a Catholic Seminary with Pugin interior and furnishing style. Six months ago it was advertising that the former refectory is now a cafeteria and open to the... Read full review
- MjasbozCancun, MexicoTrip Type:CouplesOff beaten pathTuesday, 13th August 2019A hidden gem located on the outskirts of Durham. Hard to find; not even showing on the SatNav GPS. A wonderful half day visit. Suggest starting in the library and doing the visit anti- clockwise. The... Read full review
|2018/19 (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Ushaw is open Monday to Saturday until Christmas 2018. Monday & Tuesday: 11:00 - 14:00 Divines Tearoom and Gift Shop only.
(Wednesday - Saturday: last entry 15:00 - Main House, Chapels, Exhibitions, Divines Tearoom & Gift Shop)
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).