Durham University Botanic Garden
Tel: +44 0191 334 5518
Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove, Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. With many places to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses. Walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate. Into the tropical rainforest house, see and feel what it is like to be in such environs, you can even make it rain! It contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views change throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
Please note, the Botanic Garden will be closed on Friday 9 June and Thursday 15 June for the set up and clear down of a private event held by the University. The Botanic Garden will reopen at 10am on Saturday 10 June and will close at 5pm on Wednesday 14 June. The Botanic Garden will become fully operational from 10am on Friday 16 June.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concession||£4.50 per ticket type|
|Students with valid NUS card/Children (5-16 years)||Free|
Infants, Carers & Durham University Campus Card holders: Free
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2022
- Very Good168
- 695joannewHoughton-le-Spring, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesTuesday afternoon family tripTuesday, 25th October 2022Arrived just after 3pm. Was told the cafe was shutting at 4pm. Proceeded into the gardens and headed for the green house only to be told they were shut. The gardener had gone home apparently. We had... Read full review
- Z5391RMsueaTrip Type:CouplesNot dog-friendly.Sunday, 12th February 2023What a shame that they don't allow dogs, not even on a lead. It would have been a good option for a winter weekend. Read full review
- gerberajoWorthing, United KingdomTrip Type:Couples£5 well spentTuesday, 21st February 2023Lovely gardens, lots to see and plenty of walking, not ideal if you aren’t very mobile, well worth the £5. The greenhouse with the cacti in and the rain forest greenhouse were very interesting Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.