Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove and our recently developed Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. With many places to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses. Walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate. Into the tropical rainforest house, see and feel what it is like to be in such environs, you can even make it rain! It contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views change throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Children and Students||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Concession||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Student and under 5s free||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good135
- Quirky-Bird-GardenerBiggar, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLovely gardens for a winter wanderThursday, 15th February 2018Although we visited in February there was still plenty to see from the ghostly white bark of the birches, to the red stems of cornus and willow, Leucojums, bamboos and of course the greenhouses for a... Read full review
- DavidC856Stirling, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExpensive winter walkMonday, 12th February 2018While the gardens will look great later in the year, it looks pretty drab in February. Many displays are just twigs and mud. The fish looked hungry! Read full review
- Paulína NZvolen, SlovakiaTrip Type:Friends getawayBeautiful and imaginative placeThursday, 18th January 2018Durham University Botanic Garden is really beautiful and imaginative place....outdoor and indoor, too. Hothouses full of breathtaking flora and fauna :) There is a cozy shop/bufet to have a hot tea... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Open Nov-Feb, daily, 1000-1600. The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.