Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove and our recently developed Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. With many places to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses. Walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate. Into the tropical rainforest house, see and feel what it is like to be in such environs, you can even make it rain! It contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views change throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Children and Students||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Concession||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Student and under 5s free||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good153
- Ruth CAylesbury, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA little disappointedTuesday, 25th June 2019Unfortunately we came here in quite heavy rain which probably tainted our experience. The entrance fee was quite high considering we were in an out within the hour. The woodland walk was quite... Read full review
- TOGETHER_WE_TRAVEL35Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA nice place to spend an hourThursday, 27th June 2019Although I think they could incorporate more into the café/shop side of the Gardens, the Gardens themselves are nice to walk though. I was expecting a larger venue, but we do enjoy popping along here. Read full review
- holland21Stirling, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFabulous!Saturday, 29th June 2019We came here on a Sunday morning and so it wasn’t too busy which was nice. It did get busier and as the cafe is also at the entrance to pay along with the shop there was an RSPB representative with... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Mar - Oct (1 Mar 2019 - 31 Oct 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.