Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove, Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. With many places to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses. Walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate. Into the tropical rainforest house, see and feel what it is like to be in such environs, you can even make it rain! It contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views change throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
Please note, the Botanic Garden will be closed on Friday 9 June, Tuesday 13 June and Wednesday 14 June for the set up and clear down of a private event held by Durham University. The Botanic Garden will reopen at 10am on Saturday 10 June and will close at 5pm on Monday 12 June. The Botanic Garden will become fully operational from 10am on Thursday 15 June. We apologise for any inconvenience caused during this period.
Friday 9 June – Closed
Saturday 10 June – Open
Sunday 11 June – Open
Monday 12 June – Open
Tuesday 13 June – Closed
Wednesday 14 June – Closed
Thursday 15 June – Open
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concession||£4.50 per ticket type|
|Students with valid NUS card/Children (5-16 years)||Free|
Infants, Carers & Durham University Campus Card holders: Free
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2021
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good170
- MichaelelliottCounty Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat day out with the kidsThursday, 10th August 2023Botanic gardens in Durham is a beautiful location with loads to do with the kids. The welcome was warm and friendly and the kids were free entry. We only paid for us adults. Maps were provided and... Read full review
- Storyteller817158Trip Type:CouplesNothing special - many parks are nicerSunday, 20th August 2023The ‘garden’ is more like a park - trees, grass, 2 or 3 statues, but barely any flowers. Although the grass had been cut, we felt I most of the site had been only minimally maintained - several... Read full review
- Ann-M_26042005Very poor - dont bother!Wednesday, 20th September 2023Having visited a few botanical gardens i have to say this was one was poor. Pretty unkempt with very lityle of interest - except the greenhouses. Its really just a woodland with the odd tree of... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.
Please note, the Botanic Garden will be closed on Friday 9 June, Tuesday 13 June and Wednesday 14 June for a private event.