Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove and our recently developed Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. With many places to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses. Walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate. Into the tropical rainforest house, see and feel what it is like to be in such environs, you can even make it rain! It contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views change throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Children and Students||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Concession||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Student and under 5s free||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good141
- onholidayalwaysKing's Lynn, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesNot spectacular but well worth the visit.Wednesday, 23rd May 2018Not spectacular but a tranquil place to visit. Not a lot of colour at this time of the year, shrubs still in bud but bulbs(tulips etc.) finished. Plenty of different landscapes, woodland walks and... Read full review
- HeartyRobTadcaster, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSuperb in EVERY wayMonday, 7th May 2018You Need Good Walking Foot ware !!! Really nice place to visit. Be prepared to spend 3+ hours walking and stopping. You are bound to find something of interest. I only wish the garden is on a bus... Read full review
- MowhayDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyEducationalSunday, 29th April 2018A well kept garden with the option of woodland walk and more manicured gardens, interesting varied areas showing many aspects of gardening Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Mar - Oct (1 Mar 2018 - 31 Oct 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Nov - Feb (1 Nov 2018 - 28 Feb 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.