Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove and our recently developed Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. With many places to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses. Walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate. Into the tropical rainforest house, see and feel what it is like to be in such environs, you can even make it rain! It contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views change throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Children and Students||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Concession||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Student and under 5s free||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good158
- Lynn MNorth Shields, United KingdomLovely Calm AreaFriday, 25th October 2019Lovely oasis of calm in bustling city. Great well laid out grounds and so well kept. So much to see another visit needed. Café very nice too.great food and atmosphere. Read full review
- star-swanDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyIncredible LumiereTuesday, 19th November 2019Visited as part of the Lumiere festival. The 20 installations were incredible. A wonderland of surprises, with fairytale lighting, humour, sound, illusions, art and mechanical birds travelling... Read full review
- BasingstoneHampshire, United KingdomObviously wrong time of yearFriday, 6th December 2019We went with the hope of seeing some excellent gardening but were disappointed as most of the exhibits/gardens appeared unkempt/out of season. The best part was the arboretum with some good specimens... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Mar - Oct (1 Mar 2020 - 31 Oct 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.