Explore Ancient Egypt and Western Asia, the Himalayas, China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia all in one museum.
The Oriental Museum is devoted to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of North Africa and Asia. Objects on display range in date from prehistoric to contemporary art works. Visitors can see ancient Egyptian mummies, Chinese porcelain created for the imperial court, Japanese woodblock prints and head-hunting swords from Borneo.
The museum is laid out geographically so you can focus on one area or range across whole continents. Activities for families spread throughout the museum including dressing up, colouring, games and puzzles. We also have regularly changing themed trails around the museum aimed at different age groups from Under 5s to adults. The galleries have plenty of seating areas and the museum is fully accessible.
In addition to our permanent galleries the museum hosts a regularly changing programme of special exhibitions related to the collections together with talks, art workshops and special evening events.
**At present - admission for ALL visitors is free (though spaces must be pre-booked)**
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Highly Commended 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good93
- DarthBoarderCockermouth, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA REAL TREASURE TROVEThursday, 9th June 2022Booking is required but entrance is free. No6 bus from Durham bus depot delivers you to the door and whilst you are there the Botanical Gardens are also worth a visit. The museum is modern with... Read full review
- Sherifa SCairo, EgyptA lot of stuff which should be returned to its original countriesWednesday, 10th August 2022A collection of Ancient Egyptian, Islamic, Indian and Chinese and other antiquities in a museum in North England. I believe that this stuff should be sent back to its countries of origin. It would be... Read full review
- TheRossiMagicLutterworth, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayMuseum visitSunday, 6th November 2022I visited here to expand my knowledge of the world. There's lots of historic information about the Oriental region and surrounding SE Asia. When I visited there was also an Egyptian exhibition. This... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|Tuesday - Wednesday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||12:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 24 December - 6 January