Explore Ancient Egypt and Western Asia, the Himalayas, China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia all in one museum.
The Oriental Museum is devoted to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of North Africa and Asia. Objects on display range in date from prehistoric to contemporary art works. Visitors can see ancient Egyptian mummies, Chinese porcelain created for the imperial court, Japanese woodblock prints and head-hunting swords from Borneo.
The museum is laid out geographically so you can focus on one area or range across whole continents. Activities for families spread throughout the museum including dressing up, colouring, games and puzzles. We also have regularly changing themed trails around the museum aimed at different age groups from Under 5s to adults. The galleries have plenty of seating areas and the museum is fully accessible.
In addition to our permanent galleries the museum hosts a regularly changing programme of special exhibitions related to the collections together with talks, art workshops and special evening events.
Check out our website to find out more - >>http://www.dur.ac.uk/oriental.museum
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Concession (over 60s)||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3)||£3.50 per ticket type|
|Students and under 5's||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Highly Commended 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good91
- Ged ETrip Type:CouplesA very interesting placeSaturday, 6th July 2019Full of wonderful artifacts and information with very informative and helpful staff. Easily accessible and laid out for all abilities. Read full review
- RuthH966Inverness, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAmazing place!Friday, 12th July 2019The weather was due to change so after enjoying a few hours at the botanic Gardens we bought the joint ticket and came here to shelter from the forecasted rain. Absolutely fantastic. We easily filled... Read full review
- emma_galawynYork, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelAmazing!Saturday, 13th July 2019Absolutely packed with information and artefacts all the way from Egypt to the far East! I learned a lot and will definitely be recommending it to anyone who visits Durham. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
|Season (5 Jan 2019 - 21 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Friday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||12:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 17:00|