Explore Ancient Egypt and Western Asia, the Himalayas, China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia all in one museum.
The Oriental Museum is devoted to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of North Africa and Asia. Objects on display range in date from prehistoric to contemporary art works. Visitors can see ancient Egyptian mummies, Chinese porcelain created for the imperial court, Japanese woodblock prints and head-hunting swords from Borneo.
The museum is laid out geographically so you can focus on one area or range across whole continents. Activities for families spread throughout the museum including dressing up, colouring, games and puzzles. We also have regularly changing themed trails around the museum aimed at different age groups from Under 5s to adults. The galleries have plenty of seating areas and the museum is fully accessible.
In addition to our permanent galleries the museum hosts a regularly changing programme of special exhibitions related to the collections together with talks, art workshops and special evening events.
Silk Roads Gallery
Our Marvels of China and West Asia galleries are now closed to the public. These spaces are being transformed into a new Silk Roads Gallery, due to open on 29th May 2020. The rest of the museum remains open as usual and no other galleries are affected. Find out more.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Concession (over 60s)||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3)||£3.50 per ticket type|
|Students and under 5's||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Highly Commended 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good93
- 191davesSpennymoor, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat visitWednesday, 9th October 2019son loved this staff great lots of interesting stuff and very reasonable entry prices. Not sure how often the exhibits change bit definitely worth a visit Read full review
- Helen-was-hereTrip Type:Solo travelWonderful museumFriday, 18th October 2019Really enjoyed my visit to the museum, some great artefacts, can recommend. Different sections for different countries and it also incorporates in some modern representations. Read full review
- 3000pandaA lovely place to see objects from the eastWednesday, 6th November 2019The oriental museum is not huge, but has a mass of objects from the tiniest to huge displays. They are well set out, to see timelines and regions. You will always learn something. very educational... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
|Season (5 Jan 2019 - 21 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Friday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||12:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 17:00|