Explore Ancient Egypt and Western Asia, the Himalayas, China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia all in one museum.
The Oriental Museum is devoted to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of North Africa and Asia. Objects on display range in date from prehistoric to contemporary art works. Visitors can see ancient Egyptian mummies, Chinese porcelain created for the imperial court, Japanese woodblock prints and head-hunting swords from Borneo.
The museum is laid out geographically so you can focus on one area or range across whole continents. Activities for families spread throughout the museum including dressing up, colouring, games and puzzles. We also have regularly changing themed trails around the museum aimed at different age groups from Under 5s to adults. The galleries have plenty of seating areas and the museum is fully accessible.
In addition to our permanent galleries the museum hosts a regularly changing programme of special exhibitions related to the collections together with talks, art workshops and special evening events.
Check out our website to find out more - >>http://www.dur.ac.uk/oriental.museum
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Concession (over 60s)||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3)||£3.50 per ticket type|
|Students and under 5's||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Highly Commended 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good91
- kalazhars_questDarlington, United KingdomExtremely interesting & great value for moneyTuesday, 27th August 2019I have visited the Oriental Museum on several occasions and can thoroughly recommend anyone interested in the Middle and Far East to pay it a visit. Indeed, even if your interests lie in other... Read full review
- cozzah99Trip Type:Solo travelI love this museum!Thursday, 5th September 2019This museum is so good! There's quite a lot of stuff from all across Asia and it's very cheap to do (and free if you're a Durham student!) Read full review
- DouglasjamesonTrip Type:BusinessDouglas 87Wednesday, 11th September 2019Finally can die happy. Bucket list complete see you guys in the next life. I really enjoyed it. I went here after my wife dies as she always wanted to come here. I have fulfilled her dream. Thank you Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
|Season (5 Jan 2019 - 21 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Friday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||12:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 17:00|