Explore Ancient Egypt and Western Asia, the Himalayas, China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia all in one museum.
The Oriental Museum is devoted to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of North Africa and Asia. Objects on display range in date from prehistoric to contemporary art works. Visitors can see ancient Egyptian mummies, Chinese porcelain created for the imperial court, Japanese woodblock prints and head-hunting swords from Borneo.
The museum is laid out geographically so you can focus on one area or range across whole continents. Activities for families spread throughout the museum including dressing up, colouring, games and puzzles. We also have regularly changing themed trails around the museum aimed at different age groups from Under 5s to adults. The galleries have plenty of seating areas and the museum is fully accessible.
In addition to our permanent galleries the museum hosts a regularly changing programme of special exhibitions related to the collections together with talks, art workshops and special evening events.
Check out our website to find out more - >>http://www.dur.ac.uk/oriental.museum
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Concession (over 60s)||£0.75 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3)||£3.50 per ticket type|
|Students and under 5's||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Highly Commended 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good88
- Laura STrip Type:CouplesMrsSunday, 3rd February 2019This was packed with artefacts and History..beautifully arranged,interesting space..loved the pieces displayed..a great few hours worth and more.Not at all busy and had time and space to... Read full review
- BrufstersDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSurprisingly GoodMonday, 4th February 2019We visited yesterday as we'd been meaning to call in for some time. Museum is well laid out with some fantastic exhibits and artefacts. Great information about the pieces and their countries of... Read full review
- Silver HTrip Type:FamilyGreat collectionWednesday, 13th February 2019A very broad range of items from across east Asia, all with very interesting boards of information accompanying them. When I visited, there was an exhibition of South Korea which I found very... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
|Season (5 Jan 2019 - 21 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Friday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||12:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 17:00|