Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago just outside Durham City to educate students for the Catholic priesthood. The vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Ushaw has recently opened the doors of its historic estate for wedding receptions. The gardens, parkland and spectacular architecture present picturesque surroundings and is the perfect place to celebrate your special day. Ushaw also offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; The Refectory Cafe' Divines offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit the beautiful chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £5 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good21
- FireAlanDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAnother of Durhams hidden gemsThursday, 6th December 2018Visited xmas tree festival ,23 wonderful fun musical xmas trees in this beautiful historic setting .Each tree is a different xmas carol theme .£5 entrance but membership lasts a year ,fantastic café... Read full review
- Denwar1Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesOld But Nice Surrounds, Pleasant meeting Meal SurroundsTuesday, 11th December 2018Nice Sunday, or Weekday out, We took my Wife's DAD out for a snack and Coffee, Surrounds very pleasant, Plenty to see after tea, Nice gental walk round area. Lots of history to this visit if you... Read full review
- mags616Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomQuiet TreasureTuesday, 11th December 2018Met friends and enjoyed coffee and homemade coffee cake. Moist and so tasty. Plenty to entice the weak willed, cheese scones, shortbread biscuits and a variety of homemade cakes. If I had time I... Read full review
|2018/19 (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Ushaw is open Monday to Saturday until Christmas 2018. Monday & Tuesday: 11:00 - 14:00 Divines Tearoom and Gift Shop only.
(Wednesday - Saturday: last entry 15:00 - Main House, Chapels, Exhibitions, Divines Tearoom & Gift Shop)
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).