Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago just outside Durham City to educate students for the Catholic priesthood. The vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Ushaw has recently opened the doors of its historic estate for wedding receptions. The gardens, parkland and spectacular architecture present picturesque surroundings and is the perfect place to celebrate your special day. Ushaw also offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; The Refectory Cafe' Divines offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit the beautiful chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £5 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good24
- diabllo1Chester-le-Street, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesHeavenly gardensSunday, 9th June 2019Parked free and walked around gardens like I'd never seen before. Early June and the trees were bursting with colourful flowers everywhere. So beautiful and vibrant. Amidst this were some wonderful... Read full review
- TravelswithMumWhitby, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayA jewel of the North EastThursday, 13th June 2019This lovely old building, for over 200 years used to train men to the Catholic priesthood, is now a mixture of music and religious studies centre, museum, and place of worship. Visiting today for an... Read full review
- JohnTravelsLotsYork, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelWhat a pleasant surpriseTuesday, 18th June 2019I had time to kill & had read about Ushaw College. It’s definitely worth a visit - and go about 10am, so that you can have lunch there. The lunch is equally as spectacular - made by real people, in a... Read full review
|2018/19 (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Ushaw is open Monday to Saturday until Christmas 2018. Monday & Tuesday: 11:00 - 14:00 Divines Tearoom and Gift Shop only.
(Wednesday - Saturday: last entry 15:00 - Main House, Chapels, Exhibitions, Divines Tearoom & Gift Shop)
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).