Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago just outside Durham City to educate students for the Catholic priesthood. The vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Ushaw has recently opened the doors of its historic estate for wedding receptions. The gardens, parkland and spectacular architecture present picturesque surroundings and is the perfect place to celebrate your special day. Ushaw also offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; The Refectory Cafe offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit the beautiful chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £5 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good19
- flowerlady64Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWe will certainly be returningTuesday, 14th August 2018We were doing research in the library here and decided to try out the café before leaving. We had two cappuccinos and two cakes from their wide selection. The gluten free cake was delicious and my... Read full review
- Alison BBanbury, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat valueSaturday, 11th August 2018You buy an annual pass for £5 . Lovely chapel the mortuary chapel is a site to see. Can recommend divine tea room as well friendly staff and nice food. We went on a Tuesday and the chapel was not... Read full review
- Toni ATrip Type:FamilyAfternoon teaMonday, 6th August 2018I went to the refectory for afternoon tea which was very enjoyable and good value for money. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The setting is full of historical views and is very interesting... Read full review
|2017 (1 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||13:00||- 17:00|
* The Refectory Cafe is open from 11am
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).