Ushaw was founded over 200 years ago just outside Durham City to educate students for the Catholic priesthood. The vast estate contains buildings designed by Augustus Pugin and his followers and is one of the most important examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in the North East.
Ushaw has recently opened the doors of its historic estate for wedding receptions. The gardens, parkland and spectacular architecture present picturesque surroundings and is the perfect place to celebrate your special day. Ushaw also offers an array of room options for conference and meetings, as well as bed and breakfast accommodation.
Our Gift Shop stocks a wide range of gifts; The Refectory Cafe' Divines offers a large selection of food and beverages (dietary requirements can be catered for). Visit the beautiful chapels and performance spaces for an exciting and varied programme of music; lectures; plays; exhibitions and services.
For directions (PLEASE USE SAT NAV DH7 7DW)
Entry is £5 for an annual pass to Ushaw. Ticket pricing varies for individual events, for event listings see www.ushaw.org.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good19
- valerie4135Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayAmazingMonday, 8th October 2018Had never heard of this place but so glad I was advised to go there . Absolutely beautiful church ther and gorgeous old decorations in all of the rooms Read full review
- Sue SStockton-on-Tees, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayAmazing afternoon TeaSaturday, 1st September 2018A beautiful peaceful place to visit and amazing afternoon tea. Deal with my dietary requirements no problem. All the staff are helpful. Very impressed with the service and the quality of the food... Read full review
- N ODurham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayA hidden gemTuesday, 28th August 2018Well worth a visit to this former Catholic seminary now open for public tours. It's not well known even by locals. Some beautiful architecture. Food in cafe looked very appetising. Read full review
|2017 (1 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|Wednesday - Saturday||13:00||- 17:00|
* The Refectory Cafe is open from 11am
Map & Directions
From the South, leave the A1(M) at junction 59, north of darlington, and continue north on the A167 (for approximately 14 miles) to the traffic lights at Neville's Cross on the outskirts of Durham City. Continue to the third set of traffic lights by Sainsbury's Local and turn left (Ushaw College is signposted here, 2 1/2 miles).
From the North, leave the A1(M) at junction63, Chester-Le-Street. Continue south on the A167 (for approximately 7 miles) until you reach Crossgate Moor in the outskirts of Durham. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights just past the pedestrian footbridge. Ushaw College is signposted (2 1/2 miles).