The centrepiece of Durham’s cultural offer, Gala Theatre is situated in a beautiful, purpose-built £15m building on the banks of the river Wear in the heart of this historic city.
Whether you are interested in watching drama from one of the country’s leading theatre companies, laughing along to some of the biggest names in comedy, seeing some inspiring bands and musicians, or treating the children to an engaging theatre show, you’ll experience the very best in entertainment and culture at our venue.
As well as presenting some of the very best touring work on the live circuit, we are also home to Durham Book Festival, the TakeOff Festival of theatre for children and young people, and Durham’s annual international BRASS festival.
We are also proud that Gala Theatre is a place where we create our own great theatre work, including our critically acclaimed annual pantomime, and support artists and young people to develop and grow.
With a strong network of connections with the regional creative community, we are a place where actors, designers, musicians and technical staff come together to flourish and thrive. And through our artist development schemes, and Gala Theatre Stage School, we help support those taking their first steps in the industry
Prices vary according to performance. Please see website for details.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good94
- holidaymanWashingtonNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCould do better.Tuesday, 6th November 2018We have had to visits to the Gala Theatre recently, both of which were thoroughly entertaining. The sound quality is excellent and the seats are very comfortable, though some of them are becoming a... Read full review
- Sophie HTrip Type:Friends getawayRuined cinema tripMonday, 19th November 2018I was hoping, and very excited about, going to see the new Harry Potter film. However, the Gala's incompetence to book us in on the right day or even offer some compensation for the inconvenience was... Read full review
- pollymo1Bishop Auckland, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayChristmas showSunday, 9th December 2018First time I have been here what a great experience we all had we watched Snow White it was a brilliant show really enjoyed it brilliant all round definitely go again Read full review
- Access Statement - See Below
|Open (2 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 20:30|
|Bank Holiday||14:30||- 20:30|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 into Durham city.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station is Durham. Regular buses into the centre of Durham from across the region.