The centrepiece of Durham’s cultural offer, Gala Theatre is situated in a beautiful, purpose-built £15m building on the banks of the river Wear in the heart of this historic city.
Whether you are interested in watching drama from one of the country’s leading theatre companies, laughing along to some of the biggest names in comedy, seeing some inspiring bands and musicians, or treating the children to an engaging theatre show, you’ll experience the very best in entertainment and culture at our venue.
As well as presenting some of the very best touring work on the live circuit, we are also home to Durham Book Festival, the TakeOff Festival of theatre for children and young people, and Durham’s annual international BRASS festival.
We are also proud that Gala Theatre is a place where we create our own great theatre work, including our critically acclaimed annual pantomime, and support artists and young people to develop and grow.
With a strong network of connections with the regional creative community, we are a place where actors, designers, musicians and technical staff come together to flourish and thrive. And through our artist development schemes, and Gala Theatre Stage School, we help support those taking their first steps in the industry
Prices vary according to performance. Please see website for details.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good87
- DrCaveNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayNice theatre, but awful booking systemMonday, 13th November 2017I have had difficulty buying tickets at this venue several times. The website once crashed at a crucial time when I was buying tickets, I received a message to say that I had not successfully bought... Read full review
- SharonJT67Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesComedy line upThursday, 26th October 2017Visited for the comedy store, parked nearby on the riverside, no lengthy queues upon arrival except at the bar but they soon got through them, as you expect they are higher than the norm but if you... Read full review
- Clare SNewcastle upon Tyne, England, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelLumiere ticketsThursday, 19th October 2017It's more of a phone experience than actually visiting. I was trying to get a Lumiere ticket but as my web went down the transaction didn't go through. An account had been created but no transaction... Read full review
- Access Statement - See Below
|2017 (2 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 20:30|
|Bank Holiday||14:30||- 20:30|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 into Durham city.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station is Durham. Regular buses into the centre of Durham from across the region.