Located in Lanchester Garden Centre Potters World is home to three interactive and educational spaces for children and families to experience and explore; Potters Tropical Village, Potters Owl Adventures and Potters Play Tunnel. It’s a captivating visitor attraction which you don’t need to book in advance – simply pay £4 per person when you arrive (those under 1 year go free) for all day entry.
Potters Tropical Village is a registered Zoo, the only one in County Durham!
Our intriguing tropical village showcases exotic free flying birds, reptiles, invertebrates, amphibians, insects and fish in a jungle-like setting. It’s a captivating visitor attraction with interactive spaces, hunt packs, feeding fish, animal encounters, lorikeet walkthrough, tropical thunder storm experiences and much more. Please check on the day of the visit- and made sure you take a selfie in the photo booth!!
Potters Owl Adventures is a beautiful birds of prey centre. Located within Potters World
Our birds of prey aviaries give you have the chance to get up close and personal with some of the most beautiful species of owls and birds of prey. With daily encounters and talks you’ll no doubt learn something new and exciting about our collection.
Potters Play Tunnel- the perfect place to play and learn.
Why not venture into Potter’s Play Tunnel, the perfect in and outdoor educational space that allows children to explore and wonder at the world around them. Our brightly coloured indoor children’s activity area is designed with pre-school age children in mind. The outdoor area is the perfect place for mums, dads, nans & granddads to sit and relax whilst the little ones play in the giant sand pit outside or have a noughts & crosses battle or see who can score the highest in a game of bean bag toss. There is also a large chalk board for budding artists to practice their next masterpiece.
After working up an appetite questing through the rainforest and Birds of Prey and burning off steam in our play tunnel, make the most of your adventure by stopping off at the café or deli for refreshments to enjoy in Potters World dinning area.
Wild Bird Hide
Tucked away at the bottom of our gardens you will discover our Bird Hide, where you can witness, using the binoculars supplied in the viewing hides, Britain's best wild birds. Not to mention our beautiful collection of ducks, the runner ducks are a firm favourite. Don’t forget to pick up some of the duck food from our shop before you head off on an adventure.
£4 per person under 1's are free.
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good10
- 552blainewJarrow, United KingdomWished I could give 10 starsWednesday, 30th June 2021Well what can I say about Potter's World? Simply it was excellent! Now a lot of people on here complain that the parents have to pay for entry as well as the kids. I actually believe that the... Read full review
- Anne-Marie TWatford, United KingdomFun!Sunday, 11th July 2021I visited Potter's World with my boyfriend recently and had a great time. Our favourite part was the 'bird cage' where the tame birds would eat out of your hand and sit on your head. The Lanchester... Read full review
- W LEdinburgh, United KingdomBillsviewFriday, 6th August 2021I visited with my wife and two grandchildren and for just £4 each, we had a marvelous day out. There's so much to see and do and the animals are fascinating. If you're in the vicinity, be sure to... Read full review
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Guide dogs are welcome across our site, however due to the nature of the free ranging animals in Potters World we offer escorted visits as an alternative to guide dog entry.
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- 2m distancing in place
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks available for visitors
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- One way system
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
|Season (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:00||- 17:00|
* General Opening Text