Located in Lanchester Garden Centre Potters World is home to three interactive and educational spaces for children and families to experience and explore; Potters Tropical Village, Potters Owl Adventures and Potters Play Tunnel. It’s a captivating visitor attraction which you don’t need to book in advance – simply pay £4 per person when you arrive (those under 1 year go free) for all day entry.
Potters Tropical Village is a registered Zoo, the only one in County Durham!
Our intriguing tropical village showcases exotic free flying birds, reptiles, invertebrates, amphibians, insects and fish in a jungle-like setting. It’s a captivating visitor attraction with interactive spaces, hunt packs, feeding fish, animal encounters, lorikeet walkthrough, tropical thunder storm experiences and much more. Please check on the day of the visit- and made sure you take a selfie in the photo booth!!
Potters Owl Adventures is a beautiful birds of prey centre. Located within Potters World
Our birds of prey aviaries give you have the chance to get up close and personal with some of the most beautiful species of owls and birds of prey. With daily encounters and talks you’ll no doubt learn something new and exciting about our collection.
Potters Play Tunnel- the perfect place to play and learn.
Why not venture into Potter’s Play Tunnel, the perfect in and outdoor educational space that allows children to explore and wonder at the world around them. Our brightly coloured indoor children’s activity area is designed with pre-school age children in mind. The outdoor area is the perfect place for mums, dads, nans & granddads to sit and relax whilst the little ones play in the giant sand pit outside or have a noughts & crosses battle or see who can score the highest in a game of bean bag toss. There is also a large chalk board for budding artists to practice their next masterpiece.
After working up an appetite questing through the rainforest and Birds of Prey and burning off steam in our play tunnel, make the most of your adventure by stopping off at the café or deli for refreshments to enjoy in Potters World dinning area.
Wild Bird Hide
Tucked away at the bottom of our gardens you will discover our Bird Hide, where you can witness, using the binoculars supplied in the viewing hides, Britain's best wild birds. Not to mention our beautiful collection of ducks, the runner ducks are a firm favourite. Don’t forget to pick up some of the duck food from our shop before you head off on an adventure.
£4 per person under 1's are free.
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good10
- clairelouiseeeeNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat afternoon out for young onesSunday, 23rd August 2020Took my friend’s 8 yr old daughter for the afternoon. She’s been many times before & loves it. Kevin was a highlight as he flies around & sits on kids shoulders if asked, lots of interesting birds... Read full review
- Willow3461Trip Type:FamilyPotter’s is lovely.Thursday, 27th August 2020We’ve been to Potters twice in the space of a week! My 10 year old son absolutely loves it, and for £4 entry you can’t really go wrong. There’s a lovely assortment of birds and reptiles, and feeding... Read full review
- kevinturner102Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyImpromptu visit with my 11yr oldSaturday, 17th October 2020Excellent set up and Curator John is the best there is .Highly recommend and a great attraction in the Durham area Great for young kids and very informative.Lots or reptiles Snakes Lizards birds... Read full review
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Guide dogs are welcome across our site, however due to the nature of the free ranging animals in Potters World we offer escorted visits as an alternative to guide dog entry.
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- 2m distancing in place
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks available for visitors
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- One way system
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
|Season (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:00||- 17:00|
* General Opening Text