AboutA 3 mile steam railway and the oldest railway in the world, based on a section of the 1725 Tanfield Waggonway Trains with a variety of vintage carriages. Travel into the scenic Causey Woods where the 1727 Causey Arch bridge is the centre piece in a deep valley with many walks and display boards giving the 18th Century railway history of the area. Back at Marley Hill shed, the oldest working engine shed in Britain, built in 1854, a large collection of locally built and used locomotives can be seen. Please see website or call for dates and opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Family||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior Citizens||£6.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good68
- hayl2611Cumbria, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNorth Pole expressSaturday, 9th December 2017Had a great afternoon visiting Santa, my son particularly enjoyed meeting a mischievous frosty the snowman which made my little boys visit. Overall a great time had, all volunteers lovely and... Read full review
- Jodie BYork, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNorth Pole ExpressSaturday, 2nd December 2017Came last week for the North Pole express and we were not disappointed! 5 Adults, 1 child and 1 toddler. Volunteers/staff were all lovely. Loved that we had our own little carriage on the train... Read full review
- Megan STrip Type:FamilyNorth Pole ExpressWednesday, 29th November 2017Myself and my best friend took our two children to the North Pole Express event on Sunday 26th November and we had such a lovely afternoon. Both of our boys absolutely loved the trip (aged 1 and 9... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted
|Season (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Please see website for details of Train operating times and special events.
Map & Directions
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station in Newcastle. Underground to Gateshead Metro- X30/X31 bus to railway (Mon-Sat). Any bus to Sunniside (daily).