AboutA 3 mile steam railway and the oldest railway in the world, based on a section of the 1725 Tanfield Waggonway Trains with a variety of vintage carriages. Travel into the scenic Causey Woods where the 1727 Causey Arch bridge is the centre piece in a deep valley with many walks and display boards giving the 18th Century railway history of the area. Back at Marley Hill shed, the oldest working engine shed in Britain, built in 1854, a large collection of locally built and used locomotives can be seen. Please see website or call for dates and opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Family||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior Citizens||£6.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good80
- JillybeanmarshallNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNorth Pole ExpressMonday, 10th December 2018We visit as a family every year for this event. It's a really lovely, traditional Christmas treat. It is the oldest railway in the UK and I think if you are looking for a Polar Express type event... Read full review
- deepfreezevegan17Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGood but not quiet the 'polar express'.Monday, 10th December 2018Okay so we booked up for the Christmas experience to board the Polar Express and rush off to see Santa at the North Pole. Had heard conflicting reviews from friends, family and work colleagues about... Read full review
- suem6622018Gateshead, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilySanta visitTuesday, 11th December 2018Great afternoon out with family. Wrap up warm it can be cold but nice snug cafe at the end of line very welcoming staff Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Trains operate every Sunday and Bank Holiday throughout the year, plus Thursdays and Saturdays during the school summer holidays. Please see website for details of Train operating times and special events.
Map & Directions
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station in Newcastle. Underground to Gateshead Metro- X30/X31 bus to railway (Mon-Sat). Any bus to Sunniside (daily).