AboutA 3 mile steam railway and the oldest railway in the world, based on a section of the 1725 Tanfield Waggonway Trains with a variety of vintage carriages. Travel into the scenic Causey Woods where the 1727 Causey Arch bridge is the centre piece in a deep valley with many walks and display boards giving the 18th Century railway history of the area. Back at Marley Hill shed, the oldest working engine shed in Britain, built in 1854, a large collection of locally built and used locomotives can be seen. Please see website or call for dates and opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Family||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior Citizens||£6.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good82
- newcastlebabes2Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFabulous steam railwayWednesday, 3rd April 2019Great day out with our grandsons, aboard the steam train. They really were excited and envisaged what it would be like with snow on the ground...a must for young children and adults too. Read full review
- Richard MBournemouth, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyExcellent day outSaturday, 13th April 2019this is a fantastic little railway with very passionate and dedicated volunteers. we had a great full day out. the ticket is for unlimited journeys so we stayed all day :) the refreshments are really... Read full review
- edmund250150Newton Abbot, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesPlenty of old rolling stock to see!Tuesday, 16th April 2019We had the misfortune to travel in a compartment of small children who might have been happier elsewhere but a good little ride. We were more impressed with the vast amount of gently rusting rolling... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Trains operate every Sunday and Bank Holiday throughout the year, plus Thursdays and Saturdays during the school summer holidays. Please see website for details of Train operating times and special events.
Map & Directions
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station in Newcastle. Underground to Gateshead Metro- X30/X31 bus to railway (Mon-Sat). Any bus to Sunniside (daily).