AboutA 3 mile steam railway and the oldest railway in the world, based on a section of the 1725 Tanfield Waggonway Trains with a variety of vintage carriages. Travel into the scenic Causey Woods where the 1727 Causey Arch bridge is the centre piece in a deep valley with many walks and display boards giving the 18th Century railway history of the area. Back at Marley Hill shed, the oldest working engine shed in Britain, built in 1854, a large collection of locally built and used locomotives can be seen. Please see website or call for dates and opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Family||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior Citizens||£6.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good81
- tompower3Bedale, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWell preserved railway, great volunteersSunday, 3rd February 2019Brilliant day out, very friendly volunteers who had worked very hard to make it a safe successful day despite the weather. The railway is very well looked after with the engines and carriages being... Read full review
- Stuart RTrip Type:FamilyBrilliant little railwaySunday, 10th February 2019We visited Tanfield on the Branch line day event. We were really impressed by the helpful staff and the whole atmosphere of the railway. Waiting for the train to arrive, whilst admiring Andrews house... Read full review
- Andrew HTrip Type:FamilyNearly Thomas :)Tuesday, 12th February 2019I had been promising to take them for ages and been putting off, not because I didn't want to go, no, it was because of the Digger Land experience and my phsycopathic sons with the killer gleam in... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Trains operate every Sunday and Bank Holiday throughout the year, plus Thursdays and Saturdays during the school summer holidays. Please see website for details of Train operating times and special events.
Map & Directions
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station in Newcastle. Underground to Gateshead Metro- X30/X31 bus to railway (Mon-Sat). Any bus to Sunniside (daily).