Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 5yrs and over||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions over 60s||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket (2+3)||£15.00 per ticket type|
Infants - Free
Durham University Campus Card holders - Free
Group Admission Prices (For parties of 10 or more) - Adult– £4.50, Concession – £3.50
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good360
- bill578Hartlepool, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesThe castleWednesday, 16th January 2019This is another must see attraction take a guided tour as its very informative.The wife and i really enjoyed it steeped in history. Read full review
- dog_walking_mumGreater London, United KingdomInteresting castle tourThursday, 17th January 2019Book in advance for a tour of the historic castle. The tour takes about an hour and is quite leisurely. Our guide was knowledgeable and happy to answer questions. Read full review
- Passenger802811UKTrip Type:CouplesDURHAM CASTLEMonday, 21st January 2019Durham Castle, full of history and well worth a visit. Take a guided tour of the Castle and enjoy the history of the place Read full review
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes