Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email email@example.com
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 5yrs and over||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions over 60s||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket (2+3)||£15.00 per ticket type|
Infants - Free
Durham University Campus Card holders - Free
Group Admission Prices (For parties of 10 or more) - Adult– £4.50, Concession – £3.50
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good401
- gelvisblueSkipton, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelImposing and aesthetically pleasingSunday, 1st December 2019Beautifully bookends the Cathedral, in a face-off of imposing, stunning architecture. Nice to bimble around and take in the majesty of the castle. Read full review
- F2632RHlisasLincolnshire, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayCame here on a coach excursion with a friend very beautiful building would love to have spend more time in the gardensSunday, 5th January 2020Great historic building lovely staff would love to have spent more time here and in the gardens to. Definitely highly recommended very historic place very interesting would come again one day. Staff... Read full review
- C8907ZMjohndChaosWednesday, 8th January 2020Bought a ticket for the castle from the tourist information office nearby. We were told to turn up at the entrance to the castle where a guide would meet us. When they turned up with a large party... Read full review
|Season (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes