Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 5yrs and over||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions over 60s||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket (2+3)||£15.00 per ticket type|
Infants - Free
Durham University Campus Card holders - Free
Group Admission Prices (For parties of 10 or more) - Adult– £4.50, Concession – £3.50
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good345
- barringtoncase3Montreal, CanadaTrip Type:CouplesGreat tourTuesday, 18th September 2018The tour guide we had was amazing. Very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and perky. Answered any questions given in a clear and concise manner. Would definitely recommend any tour with Chris as your... Read full review
- gailb833RugbyTrip Type:CouplesGood guided tourMonday, 17th September 2018Opportunity to experience internal features by booking guided tour. Good guide, interesting experience and especially enjoyed viewing great hall. Read full review
- cawblimeyDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyInteresting and educational.Sunday, 16th September 2018Went with granchildren of 17 and 13 and was a bit apprehensive that they would think it a bit dull.They really loved it especially the old chapel and the fantastic views. Only downside was the... Read full review
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes