Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 5yrs and over||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions over 60s||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket (2+3)||£15.00 per ticket type|
Infants - Free
Durham University Campus Card holders - Free
Group Admission Prices (For parties of 10 or more) - Adult– £4.50, Concession – £3.50
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good329
- Suzy247Lincoln, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExcellent tour, good valueWednesday, 18th July 2018We were so delighted with the castle tour yesterday, Chris was brilliant, made it fun, interesting and he is so knowledgeable, so pleased we could see even part of the still being used castle. Many... Read full review
- Mike STrip Type:Friends getawayReally good guideTuesday, 17th July 2018Just thought this would be another boring castle tour. Far from it- the tour guide was fantastic and made the tour really interesting. The fact that the high level circular tower is a much later mock... Read full review
- alec sNew York City, New YorkTrip Type:Friends getawayOpposite the Cathedral on Palace GreenSunday, 15th July 2018Now part of Durham University where I studied music many years ago, it' was the seat of the Prince-Bishops of the Palatinate of Durham. Read full review
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes