Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email email@example.com
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket||£15.00 per ticket type|
Durham University Students and Infants free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good302
- Mike SGreater London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesClosed due to Lumiere FestivalFriday, 17th November 2017Came to Durham to visit the cathedral, castle and Lumiere Festival. However the castle was closed due to the Lumiere Festival - really! Get with it city of Durham this is not what visitors to the... Read full review
- kevin_cwBradford, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAmazing place, amazing valueThursday, 16th November 2017You can only go here with a tour, which is limiting, and I don't buy their excuse about not taking photos inside because students live there (we saw more students outside than inside), but that small... Read full review
- GADawgGaGATrip Type:CouplesAnother must see in DurhamThursday, 16th November 2017The Castle is near the Cathedral and not to be missed. You must take a guided tour, so sign up early. The tour was great. Lots of history. Read full review
|2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes