Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 5yrs and over||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions over 60s||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket (2+3)||£15.00 per ticket type|
Infants - Free
Durham University Campus Card holders - Free
Group Admission Prices (For parties of 10 or more) - Adult– £4.50, Concession – £3.50
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good396
- DJBURTYCoventryTrip Type:CouplesImpressive Working CastleSaturday, 9th November 2019We are in Durham for the first time. We spent an hour or so around the Cathedral which is so impressive. We then took a tour of the Castle. Great value for money at £5 each. The tour lasted around an... Read full review
- S4644SRjuliemTrip Type:Friends getawayShort, Sweet Guided TourMonday, 11th November 2019We bought our tickets at the University Library right next to the entrance to the Castle. (Note that current Durham University students do not have to buy a ticket.) Simon, our tour guide, was very... Read full review
- bdon257Morpeth, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesThe Castle as part of LumiereSaturday, 16th November 2019We visited the city during the annual Lumiere Festival and The Castle was used as a huge screen for one of the larger sound and light shows. It was an impressive use of its commanding position high... Read full review
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes