Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket||£15.00 per ticket type|
Durham University Students and Infants free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good311
- Al-ShumbaLuton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGuided tour around the castleSunday, 18th March 2018We visited Durham castle and had the guided tour around the castle, which was reasonably priced. The Castle is in use as residential accommodation for the University students so parts are not... Read full review
- junew10Derbyshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAmazing CastleFriday, 16th March 2018Very interesting guided tour of this imposing castle.Well worth a visit and reasonably priced admission Read full review
- uksharpyAuckland, New ZealandTrip Type:CouplesAmazing History still aliveMonday, 5th March 2018An incredible glimpse into the past, and seeing how it is still being used today. Take a camera and good walking shoes, and set aside the day for the tour around the top of the Hill - Castle and... Read full review
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes