Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email email@example.com
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket||£15.00 per ticket type|
Durham University Students and Infants free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good305
- busyorLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWorth a visit while in DurhamMonday, 11th December 2017You have to take a tour to visit the castle and the guide will be a student at the university. The university uses the castle as a dormitory, so you can't visit much of it. In fact, we only the hall... Read full review
- FlyingHamiltonTauranga, New ZealandA short tour, but worth doingSaturday, 9th December 2017The tour only lasts an hour or two, but was well worth it. The Cathedral is often more popular as it's much grander, but the Castle tour was very interesting. I would recommend booking the tour, and... Read full review
- Jon BKent, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesStudent accommodation with a difference.Wednesday, 6th December 2017Pleasant guided tour very informative. Interesting history linking it to the cathedral. Nice staircase with plenty of details and a definate slant. Read full review
|Season (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes