Stay in one of the north’s oldest castles! Quartermaster's is a bright and sunny south-facing ground floor flat, recently modernised, that sits between the castle’s medieval Constable Tower and 19th century Russell Tower. It sleeps 3 in a double room and a single room. The flat is a perfect base for exploring this beautiful but lesser-known part of the country. There is a wealth of historic places to visit – the city of Durham, with its magnificent cathedral, is a few minutes’ drive or bus ride away, and the towns of Barnard Castle and Richmond are within easy reach. Beamish Open Air Museum, Alnwick Castle Gardens, Hadrian’s Wall and Lindisfarne are places where you can easily spend the whole day. The Durham and Northumberland coasts have long sandy beaches, and for those who want to be more active there are great walks in the hills and dales. The Sage in Gateshead hosts an extensive programme of concerts, and the flat is ideally placed for the spectacular Kynren show in nearby Bishop Auckland each summer – it is advisable to book in advance if you want to see this while you are here. Brancepeth Castle Golf Club is laid out in the former deer park of the castle and is a few minutes’ walk or drive from Quartermaster’s. It is rated as one of the top 100 courses in the country, and one of the finest in the north east of England. Guests staying at Quartermaster’s will be eligible for a 25% discount on visitor green fees. The castle is a historic monument dating back to before the 14th century, and all income from this holiday let goes towards its upkeep.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Quartermaster's Flat||£57.00 per unit per night|
*Minimum 2 night stay.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good2
- Beth HBillinge, United KingdomWonderful place to stay, unbeatable location, great hosts and special stayWednesday, 28th July 2021I stayed with my husband and son at Quartermaster's, attached to Brancepeth Castle, last weekend for 4 nights. It was a long awaited trip as it was bought pre-pandemic and has been rebooked several... Read full review
- Ozzie_WalkerEnglandClean and warm apartment in characterful location.Monday, 28th February 2022Warm and sunny apartment on south side of castle. Clean and well-equipped. Good location for visiting Durham and nearby area. Castle tour recommended. Good walks available directly from castle with... Read full review
- helenruss2016Bristol, United KingdomFantastic apartmentMonday, 30th May 2022Wonderful apartment fully equipped, just what we needed to unwind. The castle was fantastic it was a shame that we didn't have the time to take a tour. Close to everywhere we wanted to visit. The... Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|