Stay in one of the north’s oldest castles! Quartermaster's is a bright and sunny south-facing ground floor flat, recently modernised, that sits between the castle’s medieval Constable Tower and 19th century Russell Tower. It sleeps 3 in a double room and a single room. The flat is a perfect base for exploring this beautiful but lesser-known part of the country. There is a wealth of historic places to visit – the city of Durham, with its magnificent cathedral, is a few minutes’ drive or bus ride away, and the towns of Barnard Castle and Richmond are within easy reach. Beamish Open Air Museum, Alnwick Castle Gardens, Hadrian’s Wall and Lindisfarne are places where you can easily spend the whole day. The Durham and Northumberland coasts have long sandy beaches, and for those who want to be more active there are great walks in the hills and dales. The Sage in Gateshead hosts an extensive programme of concerts, and the flat is ideally placed for the spectacular Kynren show in nearby Bishop Auckland each summer – it is advisable to book in advance if you want to see this while you are here. Brancepeth Castle Golf Club is laid out in the former deer park of the castle and is a few minutes’ walk or drive from Quartermaster’s. It is rated as one of the top 100 courses in the country, and one of the finest in the north east of England. Guests staying at Quartermaster’s will be eligible for a 25% discount on visitor green fees. The castle is a historic monument dating back to before the 14th century, and all income from this holiday let goes towards its upkeep.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Quartermaster's Flat||£57.00 per unit per night|
*Minimum 2 night stay.
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good2
- flandersnManchester, United KingdomPeaceful and comfyTuesday, 13th October 2020Excellent location about ten minutes by car from Durham. Lovely and peaceful with lots of open space within the castle grounds for strolling. The apartment is very comfortable, well equipped and has... Read full review
- Road34249154508Wonderful flat, wonderful host, wonderful locationMonday, 7th June 2021Just returned from a week's stay in Quartermaster's. The flat itself is lovely, comfy, compact and well-equipped. The setting within the grounds of the castle is gorgeous and peaceful and Brancepeth... Read full review
- Beth HBillinge, United KingdomWonderful place to stay, unbeatable location, great hosts and special stayWednesday, 28th July 2021I stayed with my husband and son at Quartermaster's, attached to Brancepeth Castle, last weekend for 4 nights. It was a long awaited trip as it was bought pre-pandemic and has been rebooked several... Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|