**Binchester Roman Fort is now closed for 2020. It will reopen in Summer 2021**
See the impressive remains of the Commandant's house and the neighbouring bath-house (now protected within a new cover building) containing one of the best preserved examples of a hypocaust (underfloor heating system) in the whole of Britain. See the stupendously well-preserved remains of part of the regimental bath building uncovered by recent excavations.
Facilities and Restrictions
There is ample parking space for cars and coaches beside the visitor centre. The majority of the site is fully accessible and the reception building has also been replaced recently by a more modern structure incorporating a shop selling souvenirs and a range of publications and modest refreshment facilities. The site has portaloo toilets. Please note that only assistance dogs are allowed on site.
Group visits and guided tours must be booked in advance (guided tours out of normal opening season are possible by prior arrangement)
Contact details: tel: 01388 663089. Out of season: 03000 267013.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|4 years and under free||Free|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession||£4.00 per ticket type|
Event days: Adults £7.00, Concessions - £6.00, Children - £5.00.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good43
- 7JonB7Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomExceptional StaffTuesday, 22nd September 2020Upon Arrival walk past the portaloo and donate your money at the shop. The male member of staff then gave us a brief overview of the site, of its history and excavations whilst wearing a mask and... Read full review
- rebeljennRuislip, United KingdomInteresting bit of history and well-preserved ruinsTuesday, 22nd September 2020We visited first thing on the way back to London and had the place to ourselves. There are a couple of excavations to see with many more (I'm sure) buried still. The bathhouse is in excellent... Read full review
- MalvernBairdMalvern, United KingdomNice history tasterMonday, 28th September 2020A fairly small site with just one corner one display but that corner does include a bathhouse and a portion of Dere Street (a continuation of Watling Street is Bishop Auckland). When I was there... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
|2021 (1 Apr 2021 - 31 Oct 2021)|
* Binchester Roman Fort is now closed for 2020. It will reopen in Summer 2021.
Map & Directions
The fort is approximately 1.5 miles north of Bishop Auckland. It is signposted from the A690 Durham - Crook road, from the A688 Spennymoor - Bishop Auckland road and from Bishop Auckland Town Centre.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station.