Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good40
- tom mEdinburgh, United KingdomGreat starting point for a castle and cathedral visitTuesday, 11th February 2020The Heritage Center is a great source of information as well as where you purchase your tickets to visit the castle. Entry to the Heritage Center is free of charge, you can pick up handy street maps... Read full review
- hazeld263Pickering, United KingdomWell worth a visit.Wednesday, 26th February 2020We had never been to Durham before so loved this centre as it sets the scene for visitors. The ladies in there were very friendly and helpful nothing too much trouble. Information boards up to date... Read full review
- daveandlynda311Morpeth, United KingdomA great little find.Thursday, 5th March 2020Interesting exhibits and films giving us a potted history of Durham. As we are from Northumberland not far from Lindisfarne it was of local interest as well. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Season (5 Feb 2020 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Except: 24 December and 31 Dec, open 10:00am- 14:00, Closed: 1 January, 25 December, 26 December.