Distance: 3 miles
Grade of walk: Moderate
Old World Charm, Woods and A Racecourse
Start: The Seven Stars
Shincliffe Village is an example of a ‘roadside village’ with narrow greens bordering the roadway. At each end of the street the view out is ‘stopped’ giving the village the appearance of being enclosed.
Take the path down the street. The Church A, behind the Rectory on the right was built in the ‘Early English’ style. Adjacent to the Church Hall is Forge Cottage reminding us of the days when blacksmiths provided an essential service.
At the bend in the road turn left into Hall Lane. Opposite the Garden Centre were four rows of Miners’ cottages which were demolished after the closure of Houghall Pit in the 1880s. Continue to Shincliffe Hall B which was built around 1781 by William Rudd, Recorder of Durham.
Shincliffe Wood is mixed woodland and provides a Habitat for a wide variety of wildlife. From the Woods are good views across the river to Houghall And along the wooded escarpment. Climb the hill To High Butterby Farm and turn left here onto the Tarmac lane. In approx. a quarter of a mile turn left into Strawberry Lane. Strawberry Lane crosses the site of Shincliffe Racecourse C. The Racecourse opened in May 1895 and closed with the advent of the 1st World War.When it re-opened in 1918 it failed to draw the crowds.
Where the grassy track of Strawberry Lane meets The tarmac road, turn left to West Grange Farm and Follow the path through Shincliffe Wood to Hall Lane and return to the village.
This route passes near to the following Taste Durham establishments:- Seven Stars Inn, Bramble Coffee Shop, and The Rose Tree Inn.
These walks are produced by Shincliffe Parish Council.
- Distance: 1-5 Miles
- Grade: Moderate
- Theme: Breathtaking Views
- Theme: Family Friendly
- Theme: Forest / Woodland Trail
- Theme: Heritage
- Theme: Rivers / Reservoirs
- Theme: Tasty Trails
- Outdoor Attraction
- Village Location