Old Durham Gardens can be found less than a mile east of Durham City Centre.
The 17th century restored gardens provide a charming public space for everyone to enjoy and can be reached through a number of walks along the river, including a very pleasant route through Pelaw Woods and on the South river bank via Maiden Castle sports ground, over the foot bridge. Here you will find a beautiful walled garden with structured planting and terraces running down to a restored orchard. They were established more than 350 years ago and you can find out more about their development in the history section of the website.
The lower gardens are open 24/7 and the upper walled garden on specific days.
The volunteer Friends of Old Durham Gardens maintain the gardens and you are welcome to join them on Thursday and Sunday afternoons 2.00 to 4.00pm.
Entry is free at all times, although as a voluntary group, donations are always welcome.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good5
- EleanorJane123Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAmazing!Saturday, 4th May 2019Beautiful Gardens, You should go there in a sunny day, I was lucky to access in an open day, it's very peaceful, and a beautiful place for everyone. Thank you, Read full review
- Barry MTrip Type:CouplesGarden party and musicSunday, 28th July 2019Visited the garden party in July 2019.home made food by volunteers.excellent.relaxing atmosphere for all types of people.very welcoming.the gardens are a credit to the volunteers.I visit as often as... Read full review
- cozzah99Trip Type:Friends getawayPretty gardensThursday, 5th September 2019Pretty little gardens. Went here to see a Shakespeare play and it was a really nice setting for that Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Parking for up to 15 cars.
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Lower Gardens open all year daily. Walled Garden open 1 Apr-27 Oct, Sun and Thu, 1400-1600. The volunteer group Friends of Old Durham Gardens maintain the gardens and you are welcome to join them on Thursday and Sunday afternoons 2.00 to 4.00pm.