Killhope is a multi award winning Victorian Mining Museum, and a gold standard Green Tourism destination. Killhope offers a grand day out for the whole family, whether looking for fun or to immerse yourself in history. Equipped with mine hat, cap lamp and wellies, accompany one of our friendly guides on an unforgettable tour of Park Level Mine.
Our enthusiastic team will ensure you have a day to remember. Find your own minerals as you work as a Victorian washerboy. Dress up in Victorian style clothes in the lodging room. Working water wheels on site and underground.
Exhibitions in the centre include National Spar Boxes Collection, Magnificent Minerals and Pennine Jewels - new exhibitions each year. Walk the woodland trails to see our red squirrels and an array of other wildlife.
Special events take place throughout the year with normal admission prices applying. Check the website for details.
Admission to the newly refurbished shop and cafe is free, so why not pop in to pick up a souvenir, grab a coffee or a bite to eat to complete a great day out.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£8.60 per ticket type|
|Child||£4.70 per ticket type|
|Concession||£7.60 per ticket type|
Tickets valid for 12 months, charges for activities are additional.
*Concessions include - Over 60's, students, unemployed and disabled. **Under fours have free admission, however, we regret they cannot go down the mine.
Free admission to Shop and Café which are open daily 10.30-17.00.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2017
- Visit England Code of Practice 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Visit England Visitengland Hidden Gem 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good32
- johnhouston2Knaresborough, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBe sure to check opening dates and times.Tuesday, 5th December 2017This mine museum is set in very high, beautiful countryside and the drive was an absolute treat. We were on our way from Stanhope to Alston, so the mine was en route and as we approached it we could... Read full review
- Jacki PTrip Type:FamilyFabulous!Tuesday, 24th October 2017A stunning drive over moorland with the mist hanging above heather took us to what felt like the middle of nowhere. What an incredible setting - the claggy weather just added to the atmosphere in... Read full review
- DOTTICATEdinburgh, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLucky findThursday, 19th October 2017We noticed the signs for the lead mine whilst out and about and decided to visit. Took a while to get there but was well worth the trip. Very comprehensive and informative displays in the... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
- Dogs Accepted - On a lead.
- Out of Hours Visits
|Season (1 Apr 2017 - 30 Oct 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10.30-1700 (last admission 16.15).Free admission to shop and cafe which are open daily 10:30 - 17:00.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A69. Take the A689 road, Killhope is situated between Alston and Stanhope.
Public Transport Directions
Traveline 0871 200 22 33 for general transport information. Weardale Motor Services run a regular bus service through Weardale. Normally this terminates at Cowshill, 2.5 miles east of Killhope, but certain summer services will run to Killhope by request. Please contact Weardale Motor Services for details and booking tel: 01388 528235 for details.
If you arrive by this bus we'll give you a 10% 'Green Discount' on your entry fee!
If you come on your bike you'll get a 10% 'Green admission discount'
Look out for the roof of england Sunday bus through out the summer 2013 season