Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
The information centre, café, gift shop and picnic area are ideal for walkers and cyclists, and the centre is dog friendly. There’s also plenty to do for families with nature trails, wildlife spotting and a mud kitchen. Sit a while and discover nature from our birdwatching spots and wildlife areas, or walk to Low Force and High Force. After dark, experience the stars at our officially-designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
The art gallery displays works by local artists, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
There is free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Donate and display car parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good86
- DanielleMccormickS02Trip Type:FamilyGift shopSaturday, 11th September 2021We entered the gift shop after our walk, in hopes of getting some snacks/drinks - there was no food left in which we liked so I tried to purchase a drink to be informed that it is card only and there... Read full review
- Richard SKent, United KingdomWell run and very helpfulMonday, 13th September 2021Dropped in to plan a walk to High Falls. Very knowledgeable staff who gave us all the information we required Read full review
- MildredWilson1Crawcrook, United KingdomGreat walks and facilitiesSaturday, 23rd October 2021We parked at Bowlees Visitor Centre and walked down to Low Force which was stunning but quite busy. We then returned to Bowlees and had a fabulous long walk up through some beautiful woodland with... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2021 (20 Feb 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Information centre, shop and toilets open every day 10am - 4pm.
Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale . Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.