**Bowless Visitor Centre is now open for takeaway from the café. The shop and information centre are also open, but the gallery remains closed. Opening times are from 10am to 4pm daily.**
Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
The information centre, café, gift shop and picnic area are ideal for walkers and cyclists, and the centre is dog friendly. There’s also plenty to do for families with nature trails, wildlife spotting and a mud kitchen. Sit a while and discover nature from our birdwatching spots and wildlife areas, or walk to Low Force and High Force. After dark, experience the stars at our officially-designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
The art gallery displays works by local artists, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
There is free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Donate and display car parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good86
- LesleyAnn_00NewcastleTrip Type:Friends getawayGreat locationSaturday, 5th June 2021Visited the waterfalls. Lovely walk. Great picnic spots. Car park is donation. Called in at the gift shop and cafe. Coffee and cake very nice. Bought a couple of things from the gift shop. Lady was... Read full review
- NotColin304Warwickshire, United KingdomPark here for High Force and Low ForceSunday, 18th July 2021Ideal parking for the walk up from Low Force to High Force. But the centre is worth visiting in its own right. Learned a few interesting things about the area beforehand an followed up with Ice Cream... Read full review
- hogdog1701Don’t even try to visit if you are in a wheelchairMonday, 26th July 2021Parked in the donation car park. No access to visitors centre via car park for wheelchair access. I had to use the toilet so was glad to see a sign for wheelchair access toilet. What a joke! I... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|Mar - Sept (29 July 2021 - 30 Sept 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Information centre, shop and toilets open every day 10am - 4pm. Cafe open for take-away only.
Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale . Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.