Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
With acres of accessible countryside, an abundance of wildlife and one of the best places in the UK to enjoy the night sky, these are just some of the reasons why you should make this a place to discover and explore in 2016.
The visitor centre has a café, gift shop, outdoor picnic seating, a star gazing hammock, nature trail, mud kitchen, art gallery displaying works by local artists, free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Car parking (small voluntary charge) is available at the nearby picnic area.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Very Good77
- Jill HBarnard Castle, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayFab food on a freezing dayTuesday, 7th May 2019Called in with a friend and dogs after a chilly walk around Low Force. Spacious dog friendly cafe serving beautiful food scrumptious sausage and crispy thick bacon. The information centre was clean... Read full review
- 321KSGBarnard Castle, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExcellentSunday, 12th May 2019Good strong coffee, fresh warm scones straight out of the oven to sit in a lovely well presented building in a lovely part of the world - great stuff Read full review
- maxinekbrownTrip Type:CouplesLovely findSunday, 19th May 2019We walked from High Force and were ready for a stop so finding this place was great. Home made cakes and friendly staff. The blueberry & nectarine cake was scrumptious and my husband has a scone we... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2019 (16 Feb 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton in Teesdale. Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.