Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
With acres of accessible countryside, an abundance of wildlife and one of the best places in the UK to enjoy the night sky, these are just some of the reasons why you should make this a place to discover and explore in 2016.
The visitor centre has a café, gift shop, outdoor picnic seating, a star gazing hammock, nature trail, mud kitchen, art gallery displaying works by local artists, free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Car parking (small voluntary charge) is available at the nearby picnic area.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good83
- NorthPenninesTrip Type:CouplesBest veggie food in the areaMonday, 28th October 2019The Ford kitchen at Bowlees provides the best veggie food, bar none in the area. And some of the best food of any type and style. Delicious. Read full review
- ernestc536Durham, United KingdomA perfect walk, coffee and cake combo...Thursday, 31st October 2019We have wanted to do The Bowlees Geotrail walk to High Force for quite a while and finally managed to slot it in this week. The walk itself is far enough to make it a worthwhile exercise without... Read full review
- Lynda ISunderland, United KingdomCoffee and cakeMonday, 4th November 2019Cafe, gift shop, art gallery and information Centre. A great place for a cup of coffee when you are visiting Gibson’s Cave and Low Force waterfall. They attract a large selection of birds to the... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|Season (16 Feb 2019 - 30 Sept 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton in Teesdale. Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.