Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
The information centre, café, gift shop and picnic area are ideal for walkers and cyclists, and the centre is dog friendly. There’s also plenty to do for families with nature trails, wildlife spotting and a mud kitchen. Sit a while and discover nature from our birdwatching spots and wildlife areas, or walk to Low Force and High Force. After dark, experience the stars at our officially-designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
The art gallery displays works by local artists, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
There is free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Donate and display car parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good88
- T-SGlobetrottersPreston, United KingdomGood base for Low to High Force walkSunday, 24th April 2022The visitor centre makes a good base to see both waterfalls on a well marked and relatively flat path. There is a large car park, payment is by donation (£2/3 for half day) and there is a nice café... Read full review
- sarah sTrip Type:CouplesLovelyWednesday, 4th May 2022We spent a few hours here walking ans to the waterfall . Wroth the walking to the water fall . The coffee shop. Was amazing was quite when we went we had a lovely fruit scone freshly baked and a... Read full review
- chriswT2300RETrip Type:CouplesGreatThursday, 12th May 2022The best cheese scones, highly recommended they are amazing. Friendly happy staff, thank you! I would definitely come again. Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2021 (20 Feb 2021 - 31 Dec 2022)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Information centre, shop and toilets open every day 10am - 4pm.
Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale . Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.