Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
With acres of accessible countryside, an abundance of wildlife and one of the best places in the UK to enjoy the night sky, these are just some of the reasons why you should make this a place to discover and explore in 2016.
The visitor centre has a café, gift shop, outdoor picnic seating, a star gazing hammock, nature trail, mud kitchen, art gallery displaying works by local artists, free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Car parking (small voluntary charge) is available at the nearby picnic area.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good74
- JulietNorthYorkshireNorth YorkshireTrip Type:CouplesInnovative CentreThursday, 18th October 2018We called there for tea after a long walk. Very nice staff, good tea shop and interesting place with visual information. Very clean. Car park was good and well signed and lots of things for kids to... Read full review
- Joseph HTrip Type:FamilyThe Ford KitchenSaturday, 27th October 2018Excellent scrummy chocolate cake and hot chocolate by the lovely warm wood burning stove. Lovely friendly staff! Will be back soon! Read full review
- John TWaterlooville, England, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBowleesSunday, 28th October 2018We visited twice on a recent holiday to Teesdale, with our 2 grandchildren. Both times the cafe was excellent and good for children. The river proved popular with the children despite the... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2017 Summer (1 Apr 2017 - 30 Sept 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Oct (1 Oct 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
* Open 1030–1630 in October.
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton in Teesdale. Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.