Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
With acres of accessible countryside, an abundance of wildlife and one of the best places in the UK to enjoy the night sky, these are just some of the reasons why you should make this a place to discover and explore in 2016.
The visitor centre has a café, gift shop, outdoor picnic seating, a star gazing hammock, nature trail, mud kitchen, art gallery displaying works by local artists, free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Car parking (small voluntary charge) is available at the nearby picnic area.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good75
- John TWaterlooville, England, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBowleesSunday, 28th October 2018We visited twice on a recent holiday to Teesdale, with our 2 grandchildren. Both times the cafe was excellent and good for children. The river proved popular with the children despite the... Read full review
- Dream12057952982Trip Type:CouplesA fine place for a brew!Sunday, 18th November 2018Been here many times over the last few years usually after a stunning walk along the river tees to high force and back. Great location with good food served by nice people. Read full review
- vwpolomk3Barnard Castle, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyDay out with GrandchildrenSunday, 9th December 2018There is some great things to do with your young family here a muddy kitchen , some old pallets and sink that looks like a kitchen all built at toddler height some old pots and pans and a stream... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2019 (16 Feb 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton in Teesdale. Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.