Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
The information centre, café, gift shop and picnic area are ideal for walkers and cyclists, and the centre is dog friendly. There’s also plenty to do for families with nature trails, wildlife spotting and a mud kitchen. Sit a while and discover nature from our birdwatching spots and wildlife areas, or walk to Low Force and High Force. After dark, experience the stars at our officially-designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
The art gallery displays works by local artists, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
There is free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Donate and display car parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good88
- AnisleemanNorthern Ireland, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA pleasant walkThursday, 14th July 2022A pleasant walk. Accessible path down to low force. Slightly more challenging to reach high force. Not suitable for even the most all terrain pram, would recommend a carrier. Comfortable... Read full review
- 787gemmahLowestoft, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely area to walkWednesday, 24th August 2022Great place for a day out exploring. Loved visiting all 3 waterfalls and the cave. Helpful staff at the cage happy to help out with directions. Always handy to have a loo on hand at start and end of... Read full review
- Ankit2385Bengaluru, IndiaTrip Type:FamilyLovely walk to the WaterfallsTuesday, 13th September 2022This is good base for walking to the nearby waterfalls. There is a large car park and information available for various walks. With kids, walk to Summerhill force & Gibson cave is the easiest one... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2021 (20 Feb 2021 - 31 Dec 2022)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Information centre, shop and toilets open every day 10am - 4pm.
Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale . Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.