Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
With acres of accessible countryside, an abundance of wildlife and one of the best places in the UK to enjoy the night sky, these are just some of the reasons why you should make this a place to discover and explore in 2016.
The visitor centre has a café, gift shop, outdoor picnic seating, a star gazing hammock, nature trail, mud kitchen, art gallery displaying works by local artists, free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Car parking (small voluntary charge) is available at the nearby picnic area.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good75
- goddessmunchieManchester, United KingdomTrip Type:Familya great short walk if you don't feel like walking!Saturday, 23rd February 2019A real hidden gem with easy access walking for all ages. A beautiful walk along the riverside with lots to see along the way. Well thought out and interesting with a spectacular cave and waterfall... Read full review
- Tibz_TravelerYork, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWhat a stop this is fantasticSunday, 17th March 2019I absolutely adore this visitor center with a large carpark and many a trail leading off of it staff friendly park here if you are going to high force it only a small hike and has a parking charge... Read full review
- RSPBjoshBlackpool, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelLovely place in fantastic contrysideTuesday, 19th March 2019I visited High Force last year when I’m the area so decided to do Low Force and Bowles this year! Very easy to find and helpful that car parking charges are suggested donations which I think is a... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2019 (16 Feb 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton in Teesdale. Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.