Bowlees Visitor Centre
Tel: +44 01833 622145
Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
The information centre, café, gift shop and picnic area are ideal for walkers and cyclists, and the centre is dog friendly. There’s also plenty to do for families with nature trails, wildlife spotting and a mud kitchen. Sit a while and discover nature from our birdwatching spots and wildlife areas, or walk to Low Force and High Force. After dark, experience the stars at our officially-designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
The art gallery displays works by local artists, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
There is free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Donate and display car parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2022
- Very Good88
- Julian RCarlux, FranceTrip Type:CouplesGreat findTuesday, 8th November 2022Started our visit to Low and High Falls from here. Plenty of parking without the risks of the fines at High Falls. You make a donation. Staff in the visitors centre really helpful and nice... Read full review
- E9513EXjatTrip Type:CouplesA welcome stop.Sunday, 29th January 2023Smashing place to grab a cuppa, a plated lunch, a hot bowl of soup or, given the weather, an ice-cream. Friendly, welcoming & helpful staff. Also small but interesting exhibition area & shop. A good... Read full review
- janehT2832KTTrip Type:FamilyGreat visitor centreThursday, 23rd February 2023Great visitor centre with information about local and not so local walks in the area. Great cafe and very helpful staff. Nice little shop with a variety of gifts, cards, crafts and postcards. Read full review
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free) - Our car park is 'donate and display' and proceeds are used to help us to look after the site for visitors and nature.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* Information centre, cafe, shop and toilets
Winter opening - weekends only 10am to 4pm until the end of November. Reopening 18th February 2023
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale. Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.