**Bowless Visitor Centre is now open for takeaway from the café. The shop and information centre are also open, but the gallery remains closed. Opening times are from 10am to 4pm daily.**
Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
The information centre, café, gift shop and picnic area are ideal for walkers and cyclists, and the centre is dog friendly. There’s also plenty to do for families with nature trails, wildlife spotting and a mud kitchen. Sit a while and discover nature from our birdwatching spots and wildlife areas, or walk to Low Force and High Force. After dark, experience the stars at our officially-designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
The art gallery displays works by local artists, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
There is free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Donate and display car parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good85
- GillianCrillWrotham, null, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFriendly and accessibleSaturday, 5th September 2020Very friendly lady in ticket office who seemed very pleased we offered to pay for the car parking although we did not use the car park Great use of old cgurch Read full review
- Dr_WaughNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLow force visitThursday, 31st December 2020After visiting the Lake District a few months ago and visiting lots of waterfalls we found out that we were living close to the highest (high force) and longest (cauldron about) waterfalls in... Read full review
- FrankyBennetDarlington, United KingdomStopped for lunch, averageTuesday, 23rd February 2021I just felt it was nothing special for such a beautiful building and location, expected more. Plus the toiled was really dirty.. Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|Mar - Sept (29 July 2021 - 30 Sept 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Information centre, shop and toilets open every day 10am - 4pm. Cafe open for take-away only.
Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale . Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.