Take a ride on the Weardale Railway heritage passenger service to enjoy stunning views of Weardale, a National Landscape, and explore the historic market towns of Wolsingham and Stanhope.
The Weardale Railway is an 18 mile heritage line running from a connection with the main rail network at Bishop Auckland to Eastgate in Weardale, County Durham. The railway is part of the Stockton to Darlington line, (famous for having the first passenger rail service in the world) which will celebrate its 200th anniversary in 2025.
After extensive works the Railway reopened in April 2023 between Stanhope and Bishop Auckland using heritage 1960s diesel multiple units and a pacer train.
Tickets are available on the day from Stanhope Station and on the train.
Our Santa Specials train service is hugely popular with trains operating throughout November and December until Christmas Eve. We advise early booking to avoid disappointment. To secure your festive experience and other special offers book tickets online.
Visit the Weardale Railway Trust website for up to date event details, including the popular Photography trains, the full timetable and fares.
|£5.50 per ticket type
|£2.75 per ticket type
|Children 4 and under
|Family (2+3) return
|£26.00 per ticket type
|£4.50 per ticket type
Return Tickets: Adults £9, Child £5, Senior £7; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £11, Family £34
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good115
- holidaymanWashingtonWashington, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGood to be back.Wednesday, 30th August 2023It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon on Bank Holiday Monday and good to see the service running back to Bishop Auckland, even if only a couple of days per week. It's four years since we were... Read full review
- worzel1956County Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesChristmas afternoon tea train.Wednesday, 13th December 2023We had a fantastic afternoon on the Christmas afternoon tea train. Greeted with glass of bubbly then endless tea and coffee to accompany our lovely afternoon tea. Lovely ride up to Wolsingham... Read full review
- sarah RDurham, United KingdomAmazing.Saturday, 30th December 2023I write the review from the bottom of our hearts. Lived in the dale for years. Not once have we hopped on board the stanhope railway. Until we came together over a Christmas globe. Meeting the... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)
* Check website for opening times.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.