The Weardale Railway - The Auckland Project
Tel: +44 01388 526203
Take a ride on the Weardale Railway heritage passenger service to enjoy stunning views of Weardale, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and explore the historic market towns of Wolsingham and Stanhope.
The Weardale Railway is an 18 mile heritage line running from a connection with the main rail network at Bishop Auckland to Eastgate in Weardale, County Durham. The railway is part of the Stockton to Darlington line, (famous for having the first passenger rail service in the world) which will celebrate its 200th anniversary in 2025.
After extensive works the Railway reopened in April 2023 between Stanhope and Bishop Auckland using heritage 1960s diesel multiple units and a pacer train.
Tickets are available on the day from Stanhope Station and on the train.
Our Santa Specials train service is hugely popular with trains operating throughout November and December until Christmas Eve. We advise early booking to avoid disappointment. To secure your festive experience and other special offers book tickets online.
Visit the Weardale Railway Trust website for up to date event details, including the popular Photography trains, the full timetable and fares.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£4.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £9, Child £5, Senior £7; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £11, Family £34
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good113
- Ashish GTrip Type:BusinessTrain is good for holiday purposeWednesday, 12th February 2020Well the experienced is great. My business purpose point of view is good for travelling in local place. Train is very neat n also the environment is also very good.Staff were excellent. Read full review
- Martine STrip Type:CouplesTrain adventureThursday, 11th May 2023We visited my brother and sister in law up in the north of of England. He suggested we should make a trip with the Weardale railway to Stanhope. What a lovely experience that was! The day we went... Read full review
- Graham RHoniton, United KingdomSlow pace(r)!Saturday, 13th May 2023This small scenic railway is well worth a visit. We travelled the journey between Stanhope and Wolsingham on a Pacer. There was also a 'bubble car' at the station. The cafe was reasonably priced and... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* Saturdays only.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.