Please prebook your tickets in advance.
The Bowes Museum is the jewel in the heart of the historic market town of Barnard Castle in the beautiful Durham countryside.
Housing internationally significant collections of fine and decorative arts, the Museum was purpose built in the 19thC by wealthy businessman John Bowes and his French actress wife Josephine. Their romantic story is revealed as you wander around this graceful and elegant Grade I Listed building.
The diverse collections begun by this amazing couple are constantly being added to and currently span three floors of this magnificent French-style chateau. Whether its paintings by Van Dyck, Canaletto or Goya, delicate porcelain produced at Sevres, or fashion from the 16-20th centuries, it can all be found at The Bowes Museum, which has received Designated status from the Government in recognition of the quality of its outstanding collections.
Visitors to the museum can not only learn of John and Josephine’s wonderful story and marvel at the fascinating objects on show but can also enjoy an exciting programme of exhibitions – including fashion, photography and fine art – plus events, with guided tours and gallery talks by specialist’s curators enhancing the experience. A recent £12m makeover which has spawned the opening of new galleries and the delivery of enhanced visitor facilities has pivoted the museum into the 21st Century.
The magnificent legacy that John and Josephine Bowes left to the people of Barnard Castle and beyond has been transformed in a sympathetic way to retain its charm and intrigue while protecting the collections for future generations.
And if that isn’t enough, don’t miss the museum’s unique and popular exhibit, the Silver Swan musical automaton, built in 1773, which performs daily to delight audiences.
No visit is complete without sampling a delicious lunch, sumptuous afternoon tea or tempting snack in Café Bowes, or a browse in the shop, which offer s a wide range of gifts, books, confectionery and original art and jewellery.
Surrounded by 22 acres of parkland including formal gardens, a woodland walk, picnic area and children’s play facilities, The Bowes Museum, surrounded by rolling countryside, is the perfect destination for a family day out.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|1 Adult and up to 4 children||£16.00 per ticket type|
|2 Adults and up to 4 children||£30.00 per ticket type|
|Adult Anuual Pass||£14.00 per ticket type|
|Concession Annual Pass||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Students (on production of Student Card)||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Under 18||£5.00 per ticket type|
Enjoy unlimited entry at The Bowes Museum and temporary exhibitions all year around.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2021
- Very Good445
- Ann655York, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA good day outFriday, 8th October 2021After our first visit to the Bowes, my husband and I were very impressed with the wonderful range of exhibits. Sadly the famous silver swan was in the process of being renovated but the film that was... Read full review
- DizemayLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyPretty but overpricedFriday, 8th October 2021We enjoyed our visit but considering the size of the property and contents, we thought it was overpriced. Tickets last a year but we all thought we’d be hard pressed to find a visit to return to the... Read full review
- 942PaulRWalton on ThamesFascinating series of collections in an impressive buildingWednesday, 13th October 2021Effectively a series of collections - paintings, quilts, ceramics, furniture, silver, fashion, curios,etc. - in a interesting building and it would be impossible not to find items of interest... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 25 & 26 Dec, 1 Jan. Cafe opening 1000-1630. Shop opening 1000-1645.