Please prebook your tickets in advance.
The Bowes Museum is the jewel in the heart of the historic market town of Barnard Castle in the beautiful Durham countryside.
Housing internationally significant collections of fine and decorative arts, the Museum was purpose built in the 19thC by wealthy businessman John Bowes and his French actress wife Josephine. Their romantic story is revealed as you wander around this graceful and elegant Grade I Listed building.
The diverse collections begun by this amazing couple are constantly being added to and currently span three floors of this magnificent French-style building. Whether its paintings by Van Dyck, Canaletto or Goya, delicate porcelain produced at Sevres, or fashion from the 16-20th centuries, it can all be found at The Bowes Museum, which has received Designated status from the Government in recognition of the quality of its outstanding collections.
Visitors to the museum can not only learn of John and Josephine’s wonderful story and marvel at the fascinating objects on show but can also enjoy an exciting programme of exhibitions – including fashion, photography and fine art – plus events, with guided tours and gallery talks by specialist’s curators enhancing the experience. A recent £12m makeover which has spawned the opening of new galleries and the delivery of enhanced visitor facilities has pivoted the museum into the 21st Century.
The magnificent legacy that John and Josephine Bowes left to the people of Barnard Castle and beyond has been transformed in a sympathetic way to retain its charm and intrigue while protecting the collections for future generations.
No visit is complete without sampling a delicious lunch, sumptuous afternoon tea or tempting snack in Café Bowes, or a browse in the shop, which offer s a wide range of gifts, books, confectionery and original art and jewellery.
Surrounded by 22 acres of parkland including formal gardens, a woodland walk, picnic area and children’s play facilities, The Bowes Museum, surrounded by rolling countryside, is the perfect destination for a family day out.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Day Ticket||£17.50 per person per day|
|Local Membership||£12.50 per ticket type|
|Membership||£14.50 per ticket type|
|Under 18s, students and carers||Free|
Enjoy unlimited entry at The Bowes Museum and temporary exhibitions all year around.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good452
- pepsimaxrockRowlands Gill, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDon’t travel far for thisSaturday, 17th September 2022This museum created a good press so was keen to go on Heritage Open Day. Thank goodness we didn’t pay. Interesting exhibits poorly displayed. Unfathomable colour exhibition - what on earth were all... Read full review
- Sarah SAshford, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA Day out at the Bowes MuseumSunday, 18th September 2022The Bowes Museum is a large museum with a very lovely and interesting history. We visited on a particularly wet day and spent the whole day there. The cafe / restaurant was good and we had coffee... Read full review
- jeanann1485Newark-on-Trent, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayFascinating placeSaturday, 24th September 2022Took a group of 17 adults to visit the museum. They were extremely impressed. I pre booked but despite this it took some time to sort out guides ect. Once sorted the two guides were excellent and... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facility for service dogs
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
|Season (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 25, 26 Dec & 1 Jan. Cafe opening 1000-1630. Shop opening 1000-1645.