**The Bowes Museum is looking forward to welcoming you on the 17 May. Staff have been busy behind the Museum’s closed doors getting everything ready to welcome visitors back safely.
Café Bowes has undergone a refurbishment and has a new menu waiting to be sampled, the Museum has been deep cleaned, new signage is in place reminding you to adhere to social distancing, hand sanitisation stations have been refilled, the shop has been restocked and staff are being trained ready to greet you back in a safe and timely manner.
North Country Quilts: In Celebration of New Acquisitions is now hanging in the main exhibition gallery ready to wow visitors through to January 2022 and, due to social distancing measures, entry to the display will be by a separate timed exhibition entrance ticket that needs to be booked, at no extra cost, before visiting. Song has also been reinstated in the Music Room so people can enjoy the sound of the instruments. A varied programme of activity is being planned throughout May and June which we hope you will participate in.
Entry to the Museum will be by timed slots and tickets will have to be pre-booked online here or by calling 01833 690606. The Museum will be open from 10.00 to 5.00 daily. Masks will need to be worn throughout the Museum, shop and café, except when eating or where exemptions apply.**
The Bowes Museum is the jewel in the heart of the historic market town of Barnard Castle in the beautiful Durham countryside.
Housing internationally significant collections of fine and decorative arts, the Museum was purpose built in the 19thC by wealthy businessman John Bowes and his French actress wife Josephine. Their romantic story is revealed as you wander around this graceful and elegant Grade I Listed building.
The diverse collections begun by this amazing couple are constantly being added to and currently span three floors of this magnificent French-style chateau. Whether its paintings by Van Dyck, Canaletto or Goya, delicate porcelain produced at Sevres, or fashion from the 16-20th centuries, it can all be found at The Bowes Museum, which has received Designated status from the Government in recognition of the quality of its outstanding collections.
Visitors to the museum can not only learn of John and Josephine’s wonderful story and marvel at the fascinating objects on show but can also enjoy an exciting programme of exhibitions – including fashion, photography and fine art – plus events, with guided tours and gallery talks by specialist’s curators enhancing the experience. A recent £12m makeover which has spawned the opening of new galleries and the delivery of enhanced visitor facilities has pivoted the museum into the 21st Century.
The magnificent legacy that John and Josephine Bowes left to the people of Barnard Castle and beyond has been transformed in a sympathetic way to retain its charm and intrigue while protecting the collections for future generations.
And if that isn’t enough, don’t miss the museum’s unique and popular exhibit, the Silver Swan musical automaton, built in 1773, which performs daily to delight audiences.
No visit is complete without sampling a delicious lunch, sumptuous afternoon tea or tempting snack in Café Bowes, or a browse in the shop, which offer s a wide range of gifts, books, confectionery and original art and jewellery.
Surrounded by 22 acres of parkland including formal gardens, a woodland walk, picnic area and children’s play facilities, The Bowes Museum, surrounded by rolling countryside, is the perfect destination for a family day out.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|1 Adult and up to 4 children||£16.00 per ticket type|
|2 Adults and up to 4 children||£30.00 per ticket type|
|Adult Anuual Pass||£14.00 per ticket type|
|Concession Annual Pass||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Students (on production of Student Card)||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Under 18||£5.00 per ticket type|
Enjoy unlimited entry at The Bowes Museum and temporary exhibitions all year around.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good440
- Lynda IBarnard Castle, United KingdomLots to see and do.Saturday, 5th December 2020The museum has a wide range of interesting exhibits and often has shows and activities by modern artists. The cafe and shop are excellent. We love to walk in the grounds at all times of the year... Read full review
- Traveller123DurhamDurhamTrip Type:Friends getawayWill not be back!Tuesday, 15th December 2020We were really looking forward to visiting the museum, as we had not been before. When arriving we had to pay £10 just to park, which was a little pricey as we were staying for 2 hours. On arrival... Read full review
- MrsR_92Barnard Castle, United KingdomGreat for children!Sunday, 28th February 2021Stunning museum and gardens! One of our favourite places and so lucky to have it on our doorstep. Father Christmas visits are brilliant and the annual Christmas Fayre. We've been the past 3 years... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 25 & 26 Dec, 1 Jan. Cafe opening 1000-1630. Shop opening 1000-1645.