See outstanding collections of art, fashion and design housed in an impressive French-style public Museum set in beautiful parkland.
The Bowes Museum was created by the philanthropists Joséphine and John Bowes. This family friendly Museum is home to some of the best examples of European fine and decorative arts in the UK with galleries dedicated to paintings, furniture, fashion & textiles, ceramics, silver & metals and more.
With a fascinating story, an acclaimed exhibition and events programme, celebrating the 250th birthday of the iconic Silver Swan automaton in 2023, family activities, a seasonal menu in Café Bowes and shop, a visit to The Bowes Museum makes a day out to remember.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Day Ticket||£18.00 per person per day|
|Day Ticket with Gift Aid||£19.80 per person per day|
|Local Membership||£13.50 per ticket type|
|Membership||£15.50 per ticket type|
|Under 18s, students and carers||Free|
Enjoy unlimited entry at The Bowes Museum and temporary exhibitions all year around.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good457
- 12rebeccagSouth Cave, United KingdomWonderful serene placeThursday, 14th September 2023What an amazing place - don’t fret about the entry fee it’s worth every penny ! The restaurant is also excellent and not overpriced - we had a wonderful day and will return Read full review
- SavvyTraveloguekentTrip Type:CouplesYou can spend a couple of hours on the art aloneSunday, 24th September 2023If you like fine art it's well worth visiting. You're not going to see the highest level that you would in London but if you're a long way from the capital and getting to Barnard Castle is much... Read full review
- Jessica SHampshire, United KingdomAmazing museumSunday, 24th September 2023Such an interesting museum . We weren’t expecting to find something of this size with so many artefacts in this area.It was only by chance we came across it . We landed up nearly spending the whole... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facility for service dogs
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 25, 26 Dec & 1 Jan. Cafe opening 10:00-16:30 (last orders 4pm). Shop opening 10:00-16:30.