High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good270
- Gladys HTrip Type:CouplesRide out for the dayTuesday, 14th August 2018Visited this beautiful place. So picturesque and dramatic. The only downside is the car park. The food in the hotel is lovely too. Good staff. Read full review
- AlDaMoTrip Type:FamilyApproach from the South and avoid parking at High Force.Tuesday, 14th August 2018High Force (and Low Force) deserve a place in England's pantheon on natural wonders. Lining the local Lord's pockets with £3.00 to park, then £1.50 to walk 10minutes to view the spectacle can and... Read full review
- Keith PSutton Coldfield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesHigh price.Tuesday, 14th August 2018High Force is definitely worth visiting with a lovely walk through woodland to the falls. People with walking difficulties may find it a problem as part of the pathways are steep and the steps down... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2018 - 30 Mar 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)