High Force is one of the most impressive waterfalls in England. The River Tees has been plunging into this gorge for thousands of years but the rocks it reveals are far more ancient – with origins dating back over 300 million years!
High Force Waterfall is based in the beautiful North Pennines an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, as well as being part of a Global Geopark. High Force is located under some of the darkest skies in the country, perfect for stargazing!
Visitors can enjoy the peaceful woodland walk down to the base of the falls, starting from the hotel. There are plenty of key photo opportunities along the way and keep an eye out for local wildlife too! Special trails take place throughout the year encouraging children to find clues as they go. Past trails have included Dinosaur Discovery, Winter Wonderland, Easter Egg Hunts and Waterfalls of the World.
On the second part of the circular route you can find friendly woodland creatures who will be hiding amongst the trees. From a wise owl to a moon-gazing hare to foxes, a caterpillar balance beam and Giant's chair, there is plenty to see and do!
In 2022 High Force launched a brand-new app which visitors can download from the apple and android stores for FREE to enhance their day. Full of walking routes, guided tours, special offers and events, plan your day and create a personalised itinerary to suit YOU!
Admission prices start from £1.50 for a child and £3.00 for an adult with under 4s going free. However, families and couples can pre-book their tickets online for a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. All other tickets can be purchased on site.
Admission fees apply to help High Force maintain the footpaths and walkways and keep routes safe and open throughout the year. It also ensures staff can clear litter and helps to reduce our impact on the local environment by working with nature to protect sensitive wildlife. High Force are committed to preserving and protecting this site for future generations to enjoy.
**The walk to High Force Waterfall is accessible. However, the gravel path down to the viewing platform is on a gradual slope so visitors may require support getting there and back. Our circular route contains a large flight of stairs and uneven ground, but visitors with mobility difficulties can return using the original path without doing the second part of the route.**
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Child (Under 16yrs )||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Free Admission (Under 4s)||Free|
Families and couples can pre-book their tickets online for a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. All other tickets can be purchased on site.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good357
- Jaki CTrip Type:CouplesWorth the parking and admission costThursday, 26th October 2023Lovely circular walk down to the falls then back up through the woods. A bit of an incline but nothing too strenuous. There's an activity for the kids to spot letters around the walk, I believe you... Read full review
- Glenn CTrip Type:FamilyRip off parking and accessSunday, 29th October 2023When you get to the waterfall you can only view closeup from a tiny access point which must be really crowded at peak times. You can no longer view from the top the new path takes you away through a... Read full review
- Sally TRetford, United KingdomDisabled access no problemMonday, 13th November 2023While searching through the web of things to do whilst on a weekend I found High force waterfall, then thinking that's impossible with needing two new hips I'd never make it down there to view. Then... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
- Family Fun
|2024 Winter Season (1 Nov 2023 - 31 Mar 2024)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
|2024 Summer Season (1 Apr 2024 - 31 Oct 2024)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)