High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good252
- Lisa_Ade_271016Westgate-on-Sea, United KingdomTrip Type:Couples2 hours of walkingTuesday, 14th November 2017Loved the walk. The views on the way back were really lovely. The walk was around 2 hours but not too hard as the climb was slow. Will visit again with a picnic in the summer. Read full review
- Orta117Trip Type:CouplesSpectacular, but rip offTuesday, 7th November 2017Amazing feature of nature. Awe inspiring and humbling. However, despite their websites claim it is NOT free in the off season. They’ll charge you£3 to park your car, and £1.50 a person just to walk... Read full review
- Jane AMiddleton in Teesdale, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyHigh Force waterfallMonday, 6th November 2017A great place to visit. Beautiful countryside and a wonderful waterfall. Highly recommend.Well worth the visit Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|2017 Winter Season (1 Nov 2017 - 30 Mar 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)