High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good279
- R90RKingston-upon-Hull, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWorth the visitMonday, 15th October 2018Top tip for anyone wanting to visit, do not use their car park, so we parked at Low Force and had a gorgeous walk in via the streams and waterfalls, it took us about 30mins but added to our day, once... Read full review
- David WPontefract, United KingdomA sight worth seeing:Friday, 12th October 2018This was easy to find, and the cost of parking was £1.50; we walked down a gentle slope on the way to the High Force waterfall, which is a breathtaking sight on its own, as we went down the gentle... Read full review
- tehdehNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:Familyspectacular visitTuesday, 9th October 2018we took a picnic (oct!) wrapped up and drove from newcastle to low force. quite a ‘scenic’ trek of about 1.5hrs but totally worth it. parked at low force (donation of couple quid) and walked to low... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2018 - 30 Mar 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)