High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good255
- Tricia1563Bunbury, AustraliaTrip Type:CouplesStunning SceneryThursday, 22nd March 2018Loved the scenery on the easy walk to the waterfall. £1.50 per adult. Was a cold day with light snow still on the ground making for photography delight. Icicles hanging and water in full flow. Read full review
- Goldfish2018Leeds, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAmazing!Sunday, 18th March 2018We saw both falls and really enjoyed the walk. A cold March afternoon walking was fantastic. So exciting to see the amount of water and hear the noise it made! Walking boots a must. Was very wet and... Read full review
- Sean MTrip Type:CouplesAmazing viewsTuesday, 6th March 2018After a 10minute walk on icy snowy paths we reached the waterfall. WOW what a view. Unfortunately with the horrendous weather that Middleton-in-Teesdale has had the gates were locked for public... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2017 - 30 Mar 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)