High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good255
- mikemclaren2018Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesHigh forceSunday, 11th February 2018Well worth the trip. High force is fairly easy to get to from Middleton in Teasdale. Good parking at the top and about a 10 minutes slow walk for adults and children. Read full review
- Stella PTrip Type:Friends getawaySpectacular viewMonday, 5th February 2018With just an approximately 30 minutes and very easy and relaxing hike, you arrive at a spectacular waterfall that captivates you. Normally there are two waterfalls but, sadly, when we visited there... Read full review
- Joeyg30Leeds, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRude management spoilt this trip.Friday, 2nd February 2018The waterfall itself is nice to view although we were blocked off from going over the top of it due to health and safety and also the gate to go down was also shut (it said it shut at 5 and it was... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2017 - 30 Mar 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)