High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good253
- johnhouston2Knaresborough, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesThis is a splendid waterfall.Sunday, 3rd December 2017High Force is always worth a visit - especially at this time of year when the river is in full flood. The car park opposite costs £3 for the car, and if you want to visit the falls it is another... Read full review
- davidbentley208East Sussex, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSight seeingMonday, 27th November 2017Fantastic day walking down by the falls both high force then visited low force, then off to the pub for some lovely food and a pint. Read full review
- lawrencecsullivanGlasgow, United KingdomSpectacularWednesday, 22nd November 2017The car park is relatively expansive and well made. However, as a Scot, I do not believe in charging for natural phenomena. I was disappointed that the walk was so short but the falls themselves are... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2017 - 30 Mar 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)