High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good287
- Spike1505Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSpectacular placeWednesday, 13th March 2019We walked from Bowlees visitor centre. Not suitable for those with mobility issues, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis & the steps to the viewing area were quite challenging for me. I thought it was worth... Read full review
- Tibz_TravelerYork, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBeautifulSunday, 17th March 2019The photographers heaven was a raging torrent of water today after the heavy downpour but is well used to this quite an uneven surface with high steps but you can get really close amazing geological... Read full review
- Shuwaz DFantastic day out for everyone!Tuesday, 19th March 2019I'd strongly recommend going here when the warm weather finally arrives. Its the perfect way to have a nice day out, enjoy an impressive scenic display and learn something along the way. You have... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2018 - 30 Mar 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Season (1 Apr 2019 - 31 Oct 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)