High Force is one of the most impressive waterfalls in England. The River Tees has been plunging into this gorge for thousands of years but the rocks it reveals are far more ancient – with origins dating back over 300 million years!
High Force Waterfall is based in the beautiful North Pennines an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, as well as being part of a Global Geopark. High Force is located under some of the darkest skies in the country, perfect for stargazing!
Visitors can enjoy the peaceful woodland walk down to the base of the falls, starting from the hotel. There are plenty of key photo opportunities along the way and keep an eye out for local wildlife too! Special trails take place throughout the year encouraging children to find clues as they go. Past trails have included Dinosaur Discovery, Winter Wonderland, Easter Egg Hunts and Waterfalls of the World.
On the second part of the circular route you can find friendly woodland creatures who will be hiding amongst the trees. From a wise owl to a moon-gazing hare to foxes, a caterpillar balance beam and Giant's chair, there is plenty to see and do!
In 2022 High Force launched a brand-new app which visitors can download from the apple and android stores for FREE to enhance their day. Full of walking routes, guided tours, special offers and events, plan your day and create a personalised itinerary to suit YOU!
Admission prices start from £1 for a child and £2.50 for an adult. However, families and couples can pre-book their tickets online for a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. All other tickets can be purchased on site.
Admission fees apply to help High Force maintain the footpaths and walkways and keep routes safe and open throughout the year. It also ensures staff can clear litter and helps to reduce our impact on the local environment by working with nature to protect sensitive wildlife. High Force are committed to preserving and protecting this site for future generations to enjoy.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£2.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£1.00 per ticket type|
Under 5s: Free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good354
- OglebysTrip Type:CouplesAmazing please visitSaturday, 5th November 2022Park on bowlees visitor centre car park New biggin £3 all day Walk to low force falls and high force falls You can walk to the top of falls which is amazing view Path easy to walk Approx 1.5 mile to... Read full review
- 582karlqTrip Type:CouplesAmazingFriday, 2nd December 2022A truly amazing spot and spectacle. We had the benefit of seeing the Falls by night on a Star Gazing Trip (when it is normally closed to the public) and by day and it is quite stunning. A... Read full review
- annettej295Trip Type:CouplesDisappointed.Tuesday, 24th January 2023Website says open until 4 pm. Visited yesterday arriving around 3.10 pm to find it closed! Need to update site methinks. Drove 40 minutes from another site visited to finish off the day. Not... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|2023 Winter Season (1 Nov 2022 - 31 Mar 2023)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
|2023 Summer Season (1 Apr 2023 - 31 Oct 2023)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)