High Force is one of the most impressive waterfalls in England. The River Tees has been plunging into this gorge for thousands of years but the rocks it reveals are far more ancient – with origins dating back over 300 million years!
From its rise as a trickle, high on the heather covered fells at the top of the North Pennines, to the top of the whin sill rock at Forest-in-Teesdale, the River Tees steadily grows and gathers pace, then it suddenly and spectacularly drops 21 metres into the plunge pool below. A gentle and pretty woodland walk leads you to view this spectacular sight at the base of the falls. High Force is surrounded by the stunning countryside of Upper Teesdale and is situated in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. A variety of animal and plant life can be seen at High Force throughout the seasons, from a vast array of wildflowers, ferns and towering trees, to roe deer and rabbits.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times.
High Force is an incredible sight at any time of the year, however the Winter months can be when you are able to see it at its most powerful, especially after heavy rainfall when it flows with tremendous force. If we have had a prolonged period of severe cold, you might even be lucky enough to see it freeze.
The woodland walkway is open all year round and the gates open from 9am until early evening or dusk. Tickets can be purchased from the High Force Hotel (opposite the entrance gate) or the kiosk which is open every day throughout the summer and weekends during the winter months
Please remember to keep hold of your tickets, as you will need then to present to the attendant along the route.
Admission fees apply to help us maintain the footpaths and walkways and keep routes safe and open throughout the year. It also ensures our staff can clear litter and helps us to reduce our impact on the local environment by working with nature to protect sensitive wildlife. We are committed to preserving and protecting our site for future generations to enjoy.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good311
- Lelly_12Great Yarmouth, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBreathtakinglay beautifulWednesday, 2nd October 2019Tickets available at very low cost (contributes to the upkeep) from the inn across the road. A pleasant, smooth gravelled walk with unusual root growth and natural erosion of the rock into stepped... Read full review
- ljloo86Penrith, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWowWednesday, 9th October 2019What a waterfall!!!! Pictures don't do it justice online, it's massive. There were alot of people there but suppose on a hots summer day it's to be expected. Unfortunately had to pay for the parking... Read full review
- Adybaby72Darwen, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWaterfall chasingThursday, 10th October 2019We love a good waterfall, and this one is one of the best. Well worth the £3 per person to have a look at. And if you fancy a little trek downstream, you can take a gander at Low Force for free, too... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Season (1 Apr 2019 - 31 Oct 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2019 - 30 Mar 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)