High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good258
- dany230Eyemouth, United KingdomEasy access to stunning WaterfallThursday, 24th May 2018I had been concerned about being able to walk to High Force Waterfall from the car park due to health reasons. The staff at the car park ticket desk were very welcoming and helpful. We were pleased... Read full review
- nottafulshillinSandbachTrip Type:Friends getawayImpressiveTuesday, 22nd May 2018A very impressive display here but probably better seen from the north bank (fee?). Personally, I found Low Force, Summerhill and Gibson's Cave and Falls more satisfying - if only for the better... Read full review
- PurdysjpDerbysplendid waterfallMonday, 21st May 2018very impressive sight but disappointing when arrived at bottom of the gorge to find shut off after paying for entrance in the honesty box. it seems that sight in unmanned on monday and tuesday. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|Winter Season (1 Nov 2018 - 30 Mar 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)