2000 hectares of mixed scenic woodland lying between the Wear and Tees valleys on the edge of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Hamsterley is a delightful oasis of broadleaved and coniferous woodland, sprawling along the sides of a sheltered valley. Visitors to Hamsterley have no shortage of options when it comes to activities. With waymarked walks*, cycle routes* and horse riding trails*, all levels of fitness and ability are catered for.
**free maps of all our trails are available from either the cafe or information point. You can also find free downloadable maps from our website www.forestry.gov.uk/hamsterleyforest
There is also a forest play park which is open all year round with a new area of Viking Themed play equipment aimed at the kids, as well as a Gruffalo Spotters trail . A Discovery Pass is available to buy which gives free parking all year round plus other benefits for only £49.00 per annum.
Horse Riding is welcomed in the forest and some quieter routes away from the main recreational hub can be found.
Hamsterley Forest is a big magnet for mountain bikers with a number of fantastic sections of exhilarating single track. Families are also well catered for with a multi-user trail along the tranquil Bedburn Beck with exciting play areas to keep the children active and occupied for hours! Relax at the end of your visit with some homemade cake at the Hamsterley Cafe and Ice Cream Kiosk.
For the extreme end of mountain biking Danny Harts Descend Hamsterley has a number of orange graded downhill trails. Go to the latest info on the only North of England Downhil Centre at https://www.descendbikepark.com/
Please note, we have no (or very limited) phone coverage anywhere in the forest
Forest Drive Toll Per Car £6 (£10 Easter, May and August Bank Holiday weekends). £12 per mini bus. £18 per coach. Annual Discovery Pass available £49
We now have a new pay on exit system in place. Number plate cameras will record your entry, just input your car registration at a pay station just before you leave and pay. All our pay stations accept card payment ONLY (except the one next to the Café which takes both cash and cards)
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good117
- jacobfU2093BJTrip Type:Friends getawayGreat value....Great day outThursday, 25th November 2021Great location...staff on site very fiendly. Had a lovely afternoon visiting the forest. Weather was warm and sunny. Had a lovely bbq at one of the new bbq pits that were a bit hidden away through a... Read full review
- England5starenglandPoor serviceWednesday, 8th December 2021This is a review about the sales of christmas trees. My partner went yesterday for a tree but was told sales were off due to an expected storm and was told to come back tomorrow. He went back next... Read full review
- lawrencet652Trip Type:FamilyA tree-mendous placeSaturday, 18th December 2021Lovely Christmas Tree, Lovely place, lovely people. Went for my tree a few days ago and was a lovely experience. My kids loved helping the staff put the tree through the net machine and the young lad... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £6 to park all day, £10 on all bank holiday weekends from Easter to August inclusive
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed in cafe. (stick & flick policy on dog waste)
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
* Forest open all year round (24 hours a day) for access on foot or by bicycle. Main Bedburn car park is open 24 hours a day. Forest Drive and associated car parks are open 9am-4pm (weekends Apr-Oct, 9am-5pm). No overnight parking is permitted.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 north of Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Unfortunately, there is no public transport available to the forest