Killhope is open to visitors for free this summer, offering people the chance to celebrate the county’s lead-mining heritage seven days a week.
A number of outdoor events will be held at the Victorian lead-mining museum throughout the summer. Small groups will also be able to take part in guided tours of the underground mine and look for lead ore and minerals on the washing floor.
Alongside the exhibitions, a play park, gift shop and new café will open to visitors and the museum has a number of yurts available for hire for special occasions.
The museum will open seven days a week from 10.00am until 4.30pm, with final admissions at 3:30pm. Cafe open 10.00am - 4.00pm.
Killhope is a multi award winning Victorian lead mining museum offering a great day out for the family. Guided mine tours, working water wheel, original machinery, exhibitions, workshops, family events, performances, stunning scenery, Yurt hires, shop and cafe.
Special events will take place throughout the year. Check Killhope's website for details.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2017
- Visit England Code of Practice 2017
- Visit England Visitengland Hidden Gem 2016
- Visit England Best Told Story 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good46
- Alison ALeicester, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLiving history at it's best!!!!Thursday, 21st October 2021Absolutely brilliant…,,loved every minute. Unfortunately the lead mine wasn’t open due to flooding but this didn’t spoil our time here. It far exceeded our expectations. The two staff that took us... Read full review
- 371NigelLLincoln, United KingdomWell worth a visitTuesday, 26th October 2021Excellent visit. Unfortunately the mine itself was inaccessible due to flooding but the rest was really interesting, well laid out and the staff were very friendly and knowledgable. Well worth a visit Read full review
- ArchAd26Barton-upon-Humber, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFabulous mine experienceSaturday, 30th April 2022Saturday afternoon at Killhope - it was quiet, with lots of people finishing up their tours when we arrived at 2pm. Booked on a 3pm mine tour and it ended up being the two of us and two guides raking... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
- Dogs Accepted - On a lead.
|2022 (1 Apr 2022 - 31 Oct 2022)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:30|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 16:30|
* Cafe 10am - 4pm
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A69. Take the A689 road, Killhope is situated between Alston and Stanhope.
Public Transport Directions
Traveline 0871 200 22 33 for general transport information. Weardale Motor Services run a regular bus service through Weardale. Normally this terminates at Cowshill, 2.5 miles east of Killhope, but certain summer services will run to Killhope by request. Please contact Weardale Motor Services for details and booking tel: 01388 528235 for details. If you arrive by this bus we'll give you a 10% 'Green Discount' on your entry fee! If you come on your bike you'll get a 10% 'Green admission discount' Look out for the roof of england Sunday bus through out the summer 2013 season