Killhope is open to visitors for free this summer, offering people the chance to celebrate the county’s lead-mining heritage seven days a week.
A number of outdoor events will be held at the Victorian lead-mining museum throughout the summer. Small groups will also be able to take part in guided tours of the underground mine and look for lead ore and minerals on the washing floor.
Alongside the exhibitions, a play park, gift shop and new café will open to visitors and the museum has a number of yurts available for hire for special occasions.
The museum will open seven days a week from 10.00am until 4.30pm, with final admissions at 3:30pm. Cafe open 10.00am - 4.00pm.
Killhope is a multi award winning Victorian lead mining museum offering a great day out for the family. Guided mine tours, working water wheel, original machinery, exhibitions, workshops, family events, performances, stunning scenery, Yurt hires, shop and cafe.
Special events will take place throughout the year. Check Killhope's website for details.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2017
- Visit England Code of Practice 2017
- Visit England Visitengland Hidden Gem 2016
- Visit England Best Told Story 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good50
- paulrH1525OXYork, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyPacked full with things to do, perfect and free!Wednesday, 26th October 2022Far more than a wet weather option, this museum is packed with things to do and experience. The staff and volunteers really create that spark of interest with their enthusiasm and stories. My... Read full review
- 615anitahScunthorpe, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDefinitely worth a visit.Wednesday, 26th October 2022Really interesting attraction. Small museum and displays of minerals and open-air mineing museum area. You can go on a tour of the mine but need to supply your own wellies. Was a shame some areas... Read full review
- Robert RTrip Type:Friends getawayExcellent museum - and free!Saturday, 29th October 2022Brilliant, well-designed museum with plenty to see and welcoming knowledgeable staff. The day we visited there was a one woman show giving an insight into life at the mine. It was excellent... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
- Dogs Accepted - On a lead.
|2023 (1 Apr 2023 - 31 Oct 2023)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:30|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 16:30|
* Cafe 10am - 4pm
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A69. Take the A689 road, Killhope is situated between Alston and Stanhope.
Public Transport Directions
Traveline 0871 200 22 33 for general transport information. Weardale Motor Services run a regular bus service through Weardale. Normally this terminates at Cowshill, 2.5 miles east of Killhope, but certain summer services will run to Killhope by request. Please contact Weardale Motor Services for details and booking tel: 01388 528235 for details. If you arrive by this bus we'll give you a 10% 'Green Discount' on your entry fee! If you come on your bike you'll get a 10% 'Green admission discount' Look out for the roof of england Sunday bus through out the summer 2013 season