Tel: +44 0191 301 8741
AboutFossil Trail: 11 miles (all distances are approximate)
1. With the Active Life Centre @ Coxhoe behind you (A on map), exit the car park and turn right onto Linden Grove. Continue straight on ignoring left turn. Follow to end and turn right through the gap in the fence onto the path and turn left.
2. Continue to Cornforth Lane and turn right along Cornforth Lane to the roundabout. Bear left staying on the shared use path alongside the A177 and to the crossing at Station Road – use the crossing refuge.
3. Cross to The Pottery and turn right. Continue past Station Road East using the shared use path.
4. Turn left at the cycle direction sign and follow the path through the chicane, along the bridleway straight ahead.
5. Cross over the bridge and turn immediately left onto the Kelloe Way. Continue along past Raisby Hill Grasslands, through a boom gate and cross over a tarmac path and through a second boom gate. Take care crossing the road at Front Street, bear left through a boom gate and up a short sharp climb. Continue along until you reach the interpretation panel at B on the map.
6. From B, take care at the road crossings and continue straight on through the boom gate along the Kelloe Way past the Kelloe Heritage Trail on the right and straight on until you reach the road.
7. Cross the road carefully and take the steep path up to the horsestile and entrance to East Hetton Reclamation Site, follow the path to your right.
8. At the junction of paths turn right. Then at the next junction continue straight on over the bridge before turning left up the hill at the next junction. Continue ahead and uphill towards Cassop, through two chicanes.
9. Turn left along the tarmac path behind the houses which comes out at the B6291. Continue on the shared use path straight ahead, using the crossing point just before Cassop School and continue past Cassop School. Stay on the shared use path to the cross roads.
10. Turn right at the Half Moon (C on map) and head northwards past the play area at D, before turning left onto the signposted bridleway to Old Quarrington at E on the map.
11. Follow the path to the left, then as it comes out at the road follow it to the right passing the farm and then bear left through Old Quarrington. Continue along the road passing under the main road bridge before turning left towards the A688. Follow the shared use path just past the bridge, turn right and then left at the road crossing near the roundabout and then follow the route to Coxhoe passing Park Hill on your right.
12.At F on the map, follow the shared use path back alongside the C23 into Coxhoe. Carefully cross the road at the signed path back to the Active Life Centre @ Coxhoe and the start.
Part of the Limestone LinX walking and cycling route.
Information provided by Durham County Council's Sustainable Travel Department with the Active Life Centre @ Coxhoe, Natural England and East Durham Leader.
- In countryside