On the banks of the River Wear, in a beautiful wooded setting, stand the extensive remains of Finchale Priory. It was founded in 1196 on the site of the hermitage of St Godric, a retired sailor and merchant, who settled here after a life of adventure and travel. The priory was an outpost of Durham Cathedral and functioned as a holiday retreat for the monks of Durham until its suppression in 1538.
The story of Finchale can be read in its surviving remains, from St Godric's original church and tomb through the 13th century priory and its later rebuilding.
For visitors with access needs, parts of the site are uneven and can become muddy.
Become an English Heritage member and enjoy unlimited access to hundreds of historical sites with free entry for up to six children. Join today.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - There is a charged car park on site, not managed by English Heritage.
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs allowed on leads.
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)
* Open 10am-5pm, daily, from April until October and 10am-4pm from October until March.