Durham Cathedral Towers
Enjoy spectacular views of the historic city of Durham and the surrounding countryside by climbing the cathedral’s north west and central towers.
Make a climb up the towers, the high point of your visit to Durham Cathedral.
Visitors can conquer the 325 steps and enjoy unrivalled views over historic Durham City and surrounding countryside. Visitors can also get a close up look at the recently-completed restoration work after reopening June 2019.
The north west tower is a gentler climb at only 137 steps, and offers spectacular views over the world heritage site towards Durham Castle. It also offers the opportunity to get a closer look at the architectural detail of the central tower and the River Wear which curves around Durham City.
Please note towers are open subject to weather conditions.
To check when the tower is open contact the visitor desk, open Mondays to Saturdays 9.30am - 16:30 and Sunday 12.30pm - 16.30, by emailing email@example.com or 0191 338 7178
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child 8-17||£2.50 per ticket type|
Tickets are available from the visitor desk inside the Cathedral. To check the tower opening please call the visitor desk on 0191 338 7178, between 09.30 - 16:30 Mon to Sat and 12.30 - 16:30 on Sunday. Lines are busy during peak visitor times, so alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets for the central tower cannot be pre-booked or booked online. Tickets for the north-west tower cannot be booked online.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good1178
- suzyandpaul888London, United KingdomBeautiful Cathedral - awe inspiringMonday, 14th October 2019Well worth a visit - lots of history, magnificent stonework and stained glass windows, has toilet facilities, a cafe and gift shop with prices that cater for everyone. We bought a Birthday card and... Read full review
- deryckwheeler2018Ramsgate, United KingdomAmazing Stained GlassMonday, 14th October 2019A visit to Durham Cathedral is really a must, whether you are religious or not. Perched high above the City, it is well worth the climb. Stunning modern Stained Glass is magnificent, as are the... Read full review
- Lindsey GEdinburgh, United KingdomDon't miss it!Monday, 14th October 2019Over 1000 years of history, stunning architecture. Free entry and the tours are almost hourly and well worth the £5, donations are also welcome. There are many volunteers who are easily... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|North West Tower (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Friday - Saturday||10:30||- 10:30|
|Central Tower (1 June 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00|