Durham Cathedral Towers
Enjoy spectacular views of the historic city of Durham and the surrounding countryside by climbing the cathedral’s north west and central towers.
Make a climb up the towers, the high point of your visit to Durham Cathedral.
Durham Cathedral's central tower reopens from Saturday 1 June, where visitors can conquer the 325 steps and enjoy unrivalled views over historic Durham City and surrounding countryside. Visitors can also get a close up look at the recently-completed restoration work.
The north west tower is a gentler climb at only 137 steps, and offers spectacular views over the world heritage site towards Durham Castle. It also offers the opportunity to get a closer look at the architectural detail of the central tower and the River Wear which curves around Durham City.
Please note towers are open subject to weather conditions.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child 8-17||£2.50 per ticket type|
Tickets are available from the visitor desk inside the Cathedral. To check the tower opening please call the visitor desk on 0191 338 7178, between 09.30 - 16:30 Mon to Sat and 12.30 - 16:30 on Sunday. Lines are busy during peak visitor times, so alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets for the central tower cannot be pre-booked or booked online. Tickets for the north-west tower cannot be booked online.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good1147
- Traver10Keshena, WisconsinTrip Type:FamilyBreath taking CathedralSaturday, 13th July 2019Just a stunning cathedral!! A must see. See the cloisters which was in the Harry Potter movie. Hard to believe this massive cathedral was built without any machinery. Read full review
- Sa3ndyBSunderland, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayCollege VisitSaturday, 13th July 2019We enjoyed visiting Durham Cathedral with our college group. We decided to visit as we hadn't been back for some time. We thoroughly enjoyed looking around at the old architecture and visiting the... Read full review
- WS_K_1997London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRemarkable attractionSunday, 14th July 2019If you visit Durham then a visit to its Cathedral is a must. Fantastic history and well worth a small donation to view and walk around inside. For Harry Potter fans, head to the Courtyard and Chapel... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|North West Tower (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Friday - Saturday||10:30||- 10:30|
|Central Tower (1 June 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00|