Durham Cathedral Towers
Enjoy spectacular views of the historic city of Durham and the surrounding countryside by climbing the cathedral’s north west and central towers.
Make a climb up the towers, the high point of your visit to Durham Cathedral.
Durham Cathedral's central tower reopens from Saturday 1 June, where visitors can conquer the 325 steps and enjoy unrivalled views over historic Durham City and surrounding countryside. Visitors can also get a close up look at the recently-completed restoration work.
The north west tower is a gentler climb at only 137 steps, and offers spectacular views over the world heritage site towards Durham Castle. It also offers the opportunity to get a closer look at the architectural detail of the central tower and the River Wear which curves around Durham City.
Please note towers are open subject to weather conditions.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child 8-17||£2.50 per ticket type|
Tickets are available from the visitor desk inside the Cathedral. To check the tower opening please call the visitor desk on 0191 338 7178, between 09.30 - 16:30 Mon to Sat and 12.30 - 16:30 on Sunday. Lines are busy during peak visitor times, so alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets for the central tower cannot be pre-booked or booked online. Tickets for the north-west tower cannot be booked online.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good1161
- SusieH578Chesterfield, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelAwe inspiringly magnificentSunday, 25th August 2019I visited for the first time recently and will definitely visit again, I’m certain I missed much of what there is too see here. The building is magnificent, and there really is no other way to put... Read full review
- gjm1972Linthwaite, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAwe inspiring architectural magnificence!Sunday, 25th August 2019The suggested fee of £3 seems paltry when you consider what you get for your money! Although there was a very long queue to get in for no apparent reason other than of the three people man I the... Read full review
- 676kareng11Bedworth, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyVery prettySunday, 25th August 2019We went here as it’s a filming location for Harry Potter. It’s such a beautiful place. Well worth a visit. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|North West Tower (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Friday - Saturday||10:30||- 10:30|
|Central Tower (1 June 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00|