Durham Cathedral Towers
Enjoy spectacular views of the historic city of Durham and the surrounding countryside by climbing the cathedral’s north west and central towers.
Make a climb up the towers, the high point of your visit to Durham Cathedral.
Visitors can conquer the 325 steps and enjoy unrivalled views over historic Durham City and surrounding countryside. Visitors can also get a close up look at the recently-completed restoration work after reopening June 2019.
The north west tower is a gentler climb at only 137 steps, and offers spectacular views over the world heritage site towards Durham Castle. It also offers the opportunity to get a closer look at the architectural detail of the central tower and the River Wear which curves around Durham City.
Please note towers are open subject to weather conditions.
To check when the tower is open contact the visitor desk, open Mondays to Saturdays 9.30am - 16:30 and Sunday 12.30pm - 16.30, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or 0191 338 7178
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child 8-17||£2.50 per ticket type|
Tickets are available from the visitor desk inside the Cathedral. To check the tower opening please call the visitor desk on 0191 338 7178, between 09.30 - 16:30 Mon to Sat and 12.30 - 16:30 on Sunday. Lines are busy during peak visitor times, so alternatively email email@example.com
Tickets for the central tower cannot be pre-booked or booked online. Tickets for the north-west tower cannot be booked online.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good1190
- cathpelleymounterInvergordon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesChristmas MarketTuesday, 3rd December 2019We have visited before and love it but wanted to see the market. Great set up. Helpful people. We were invited to sit and join in some carols which was lovely. The bells were ringing so even better. Read full review
- DancerwoodExeterWorth a visitWednesday, 4th December 2019We visited the cathedral as part of a visit to Durham Christmas market. There were stalls all round the cloisters selling really interesting andoriginal items. The cathedral itself is worth a visit... Read full review
- Phil VSheffield, United KingdomWent for a lookThursday, 5th December 2019It's a big religious building. It's alright. Worth a look and best view of the city from the tower but it costs £5 each. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|North West Tower (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Friday - Saturday||10:30||- 10:30|
|Central Tower (1 June 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00|