Durham Cathedral Towers
Enjoy spectacular views of the historic city of Durham and the surrounding countryside by climbing the cathedral’s north west and central towers.
Make a climb up the towers, the high point of your visit to Durham Cathedral.
Durham Cathedral's central tower reopens from Saturday 1 June, where visitors can conquer the 325 steps and enjoy unrivalled views over historic Durham City and surrounding countryside. Visitors can also get a close up look at the recently-completed restoration work.
The north west tower is a gentler climb at only 137 steps, and offers spectacular views over the world heritage site towards Durham Castle. It also offers the opportunity to get a closer look at the architectural detail of the central tower and the River Wear which curves around Durham City.
Please note towers are open subject to weather conditions.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child 8-17||£2.50 per ticket type|
Tickets are available from the visitor desk inside the Cathedral. To check the tower opening please call the visitor desk on 0191 338 7178, between 09.30 - 16:30 Mon to Sat and 12.30 - 16:30 on Sunday. Lines are busy during peak visitor times, so alternatively email email@example.com
Tickets for the central tower cannot be pre-booked or booked online. Tickets for the north-west tower cannot be booked online.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good1131
- James MTrip Type:Solo travelInteresting CathederalSaturday, 25th May 2019Undergoing renovation when I went. Not expensive to view and a great example of its type. Plenty of stained glass. Read full review
- shorthaul2015London, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayMust visit this cathedralSaturday, 25th May 2019A must to visit to see the shrine of St Cuthbert, a tour guide is well recommended to understand the history of Durham Cathedral Read full review
- LushelleWashington, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful architecture inside and outSunday, 26th May 2019The cathedral was under some renovation when we visited so certain areas are boarded off but you can still access all of the features inside. The stained glass windows are stunning! It has a... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|North West Tower (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Friday - Saturday||10:30||- 10:30|
|Central Tower (1 June 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00|