Soak up the historic ambience with beams, crooked ceilings and original fireplaces, all enhanced with appropriate lighting, old sewing machine tables, tasteful plants and pictures. With 150 seats over three floors, including our quirky, heated, canopied courtyard - you haven't visited Durham unless you've visited Vennels.
We bake an prepare quality ingredients on a daily basis, at affordable prices. Absolutely everything is made on the premises. Our internationally renowned scones are baked fresh every morning. Join the throngs queing for a taste, warm from the oven.
The history of our breathtaking venue can be dated as far back as 1720 to the tale of Durham's own Mrs Clements, the creator of English Mustard as we know it today.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good263
- Jane LOverpriced standard grub imoThursday, 13th April 20233.75 for a bottle of lipton iced tea 😳😳😳 Very overpriced in my opinion a sausage sandwich slice of quiche (no salad etc), brie and bacon sandwich with "wedges that looked like half a baked potato... Read full review
- adamathompsonYork, United KingdomHidden away but by no means a secretFriday, 14th April 2023I remember Vennels from my time as a student and was glad to see it just as busy years later. Somehow we managed to avoid a rush and get a table, but for the rest of our stay there was a queue out... Read full review
- Charles BNorthampton, United KingdomLovely little cafeWednesday, 26th April 2023This place is full of charm and character. The food was on the expensive side for a tea room but nice quality. The bowl of wedges did not meet the description, it was a saucer with what looked like 8... Read full review
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Pets accepted - In the courtyard only.
- In town/city centre
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|Monday - Saturday||09:30||- 16:30|