Soak up the historic ambience with beams, crooked ceilings and original fireplaces, all enhanced with appropriate lighting, old sewing machine tables, tasteful plants and pictures. With 150 seats over three floors, including our quirky, heated, canopied courtyard - you haven't visited Durham unless you've visited Vennels.
We bake an prepare quality ingredients on a daily basis, at affordable prices. Absolutely everything is made on the premises. Our internationally renowned scones are baked fresh every morning. Join the throngs queing for a taste, warm from the oven.
The history of our breathtaking venue can be dated as far back as 1720 to the tale of Durham's own Mrs Clements, the creator of English Mustard as we know it today.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good261
- LauraDaveJamesSolihull, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesPopular CaféSunday, 26th February 2023This dog friendly café has outside seating, ground floor and an upstairs area. It is counter service and two flat whites cost £6. It was very busy with the university set when we visited. Read full review
- anner496London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExcellent valueSaturday, 4th March 2023Stumbled upon this for lunch and what a gem. Atmospheric, great freshly prepared food and dog friendly. Baguettes were great, fab scones & good quality tea and coffee. Read full review
- jeffsworkUnited KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat food and food valueTuesday, 14th March 2023We always try to eat here when in Durham. Cold snowy day yet this place is packed with both locals and tourists. Food is wonderful and home cooked. Only downside is sometimes you wait for a table to... Read full review
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Pets accepted - In the courtyard only.
- In town/city centre
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|Monday - Saturday||09:30||- 16:30|