**Courtyard now open for alfresco dining and takeaway service**
Soak up the historic ambience with beams, crooked ceilings and original fireplaces, all enhanced with appropriate lighting, old sewing machine tables, tasteful plants and pictures. With 150 seats over three floors, including our quirky, heated, canopied courtyard - you haven't visited Durham unless you've visited Vennels.
We bake an prepare quality ingredients on a daily basis, at affordable prices. Absolutely everything is made on the premises. Our internationally renowned scones are baked fresh every morning. Join the throngs queing for a taste, warm from the oven.
The history of our breathtaking venue can be dated as far back as 1720 to the tale of Durham's own Mrs Clements, the creator of English Mustard as we know it today.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good256
- 436hilarywDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDelicious foodSaturday, 29th May 2021First visit and won't be our last. Carrot cake was delicious as was the Feta quiche, coffee was hot and a decent size mug. Vast selection of food which all looked delicious. Nice courtyard seating... Read full review
- Lauren CLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyShame about the coffeeMonday, 31st May 2021This is a unique, rare little find but it’s a shame they only serve press button machine coffee 🧐 for a quirky little historic cafe, i am surprised they don’t provide a barista style well ground... Read full review
- 911eufUckfield, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelVery Ambient!Tuesday, 1st June 2021Stopped off here while waiting for my daughter who was doing a tour of the university. Great pot of Earl Grey and delicious little cake Read full review
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Pets accepted - In the courtyard only.
- In town/city centre
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
|2020 (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Saturday||09:30||- 16:30|