This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good283
- 311deanmWest Yorkshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWorth a visitMonday, 25th November 2019Appropriately named as you descend a steep staircase down from doorway on Main Street! Inside is a well set out restaurant with a cozy feel; lovely buzz in the dining area. Good range of dishes... Read full review
- Stephen MAbergavenny, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNight outMonday, 25th November 2019We booked in advance and we were glad we did,very busy Saturday night,good ambience overlooking river,food choice good,service was slightly slow but when order taken was asked if anyone had any... Read full review
- Tim CMilborne Port, United KingdomJust GreatMonday, 2nd December 2019Took my two kids in for dinner. They're both in the University and study is not high on the list of priorities at the moment as the lecturers are all on strike. Completely messed up the booking and... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|