This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good290
- GOULD389HagleyDistinctly averageSunday, 23rd February 2020Our experience at this restaurant was not great. We had to wait 30 minutes for a table that we had booked. We could have got over the wait if the food was worth waiting for but it wasn't. We had both... Read full review
- rpks2018Manchester, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat birthday celebration!Monday, 24th February 2020This was our third trip to the restaurant and we had a superb time. The service was friendly and attentive. There was a good choice on the set lunch menu and the food was excellent. Thank you! Read full review
- 544peteryNorth Berwick, United KingdomDelightful lunch, delightful surroundings, and delightful waitressingMonday, 24th February 2020I had a long planned lunch with my Godson, who is studying in Durham. He suggested the Cellar Door, and I really was not disappointed. A slightly precipitous staircase led to a charming... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|