This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good248
- RowanhartDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWe really wanted it to be amazing but...Wednesday, 7th November 2018We went for Saturday lunch, and were really excited for it. The menu looked so good-and really reasonably priced at around £15 for two courses. We expected something really special. Dueiht opening... Read full review
- CriketfanDurhamTrip Type:CouplesLovely Saturday lunchSaturday, 10th November 2018We were here last week with friends for lunch and had the set menu ,£18 , for 3 courses. Great value for money, good food and excellent service. I had the steak and it was cooked just the way I like... Read full review
- RLDukeBedford, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLunch with my Uni Student childrenWednesday, 14th November 2018We had a delicious relaxing lunch at The Cellar Door to celebrate my son’s 21st birthday. It was a quick trip to Durham for me, and the restaurant was very patient as my train was delayed. Not to... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|