This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good281
- jessasharmandisappointing to say the leastMonday, 14th October 2019Started off okay, asked for the drinks menu whilst we waited but didn't get asked what we would like to drink before we were shown to our table. Starters were great, really tasty but that was a far... Read full review
- 487marywBirmingham, United KingdomNice tour of Scottish fayreFriday, 18th October 2019Taster menu or a la carte available, all with Scottish twist. Big portions and nicely cooked. Range of drinks was interesting, with taster menu, including whisky of course. Cheerful, helpful staff... Read full review
- Neil GLincoln, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyIt’s getting thereFriday, 18th October 2019Great order taking. Welcoming and accommodating. Forgot one order and sorted it. Food was very reasonable. Good menu. Great wine list. Obviously trying very hard to get it going, and getting it... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|