This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good271
- YumGuruLake Orion, MichiganTrip Type:CouplesVery Good foodSunday, 23rd June 2019We were lucky to be seated quickly without a reservation. This restaurant was packed full. The service was a bit slow even though the servers were working very hard. I think they need more than 3... Read full review
- hartersnorth west englandTrip Type:CouplesDecent dinner, not without minor issuesSunday, 23rd June 2019I admit to having a prejudice against restaurants in cellars. As with all prejudices, there’s no logic or reason behind this. But, almost invariably, my experience is that they are not as good as... Read full review
- 3callumHartlepool, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayBest Sunday lunch i’ve ever eaten.Sunday, 23rd June 2019Literally the best Sunday lunch i’ve ever eaten, mussels to start were amazing, the sauce was out of this world. I had lamb for main, so tender, the vegetables were beautiful too. Chocolate fondant... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|