This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good249
- 372PatDForfarTrip Type:CouplesWorth a visitSaturday, 8th December 2018Visited Friday evening after reading trip advisor reviews. Pre starters were a wonderful gestured . The food was excellent, the lamb was to die for and the fondant potato. The portions are ample... Read full review
- Lili0779Trip Type:CouplesWhat a disappointment!Sunday, 9th December 2018My husband and I were very much looking forward to what we thought would be a real treat for us on a rare child-free weekend. Unfortunately, we left extremely disappointed. My husband’s starter was... Read full review
- cliffandjoWroughton, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayIt’s a hidden gemSunday, 9th December 2018The service is great, the food is great, good drink choice, a very good view. Just a lovely place to go. Very solid and reliable and nothing is ever too much trouble. Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|