This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good277
- FozzgarhartlepoolTrip Type:CouplesLovely anniversary celebrationSaturday, 17th August 2019Visited the Cellar Door with my wife for our wedding anniversary. I started with wood pigeon and finished with venison, my wife had the cheese souffle and then the braised beef shin. Absolutely... Read full review
- Clive BQUALITY & VALUESaturday, 17th August 2019When looking for a restaurant in which to hold an early evening business meeting, we sought somewhere that would be quietly impressive without being ostentatious and it had to have 'atmosphere... Read full review
- JamesH3342London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat food in a unique location in DurhamSunday, 18th August 2019Really unexpectedly creative menu, and a nice surprise amuse bouche course! The night we went was busy and could tell the staff were stressed but wanted to provide a fine dining experience, 5 stars... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|