This restaurant is truly a 'blink and you'll miss it' establishment, tucked away on the main street to the cathedral. The daunting entrance leads down to a deceptively open space with floor to ceiling windows providing extensive views of the main river running through Durham and the restaurant's rear garden in which produce is grown for the dishes available. Some of the original 13th century stonework is still visible throughout the building.
There are multiple rooms and floors to provide options for private dining as well as larger group bookings. 3 terraces expand down to the river with plenty of room for outdoor dining.
The food is designed to match the relaxed dining environment, with the main focus on the use of seasonal and local produce, with menus changing monthly to reflect the freshest produce available. A 2 and 3 course set menu is available on a lunchtime and presents the opportunity for extremely good value for money, along with an a la carte menu running all day. Perfect for special occasions as well as regular relaxed dining.
Serving food from 12pm-4pm and 5pm-9.30pm Monday-Thursday and 12pm-9.30pm Friday-Sunday
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good259
- carb2410Seaham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayHen PartyMonday, 18th February 2019Cannot recommend this place enough. Hired out the function room for Hen party was amazing. Staff were outstanding so helpful especially Chris, he is a asset to this place, making sure the whole day... Read full review
- Voyager212London, UKTrip Type:FamilyGood cooking in historic centreMonday, 18th February 2019Very busy on a Saturday night. Good looking smart restaurant, with cosy atmosphere, in very old building descending down a couple of levels, down steep steps. Friendly staff and good food and wine... Read full review
- eejayiTrip Type:CouplesDisappointingWednesday, 20th February 2019Although we hadn't booked we were accommodated. We waited a long time for both the drinks and the starters took almost an hour. My partners choice (fish) was cold. This didn't seem right so we... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Pets accepted - Pets accepted for al fresco dining.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||12:00||- 21:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 21:30|