Durham Cathedral Towers
Enjoy spectacular views of the historic city of Durham and the surrounding countryside by climbing the cathedral’s north west and central towers.
Make a climb up the towers, the high point of your visit to Durham Cathedral.
Visitors can conquer the 325 steps and enjoy unrivalled views over historic Durham City and surrounding countryside. Visitors can also get a close up look at the recently-completed restoration work after reopening June 2019.
The north west tower is a gentler climb at only 137 steps, and offers spectacular views over the world heritage site towards Durham Castle. It also offers the opportunity to get a closer look at the architectural detail of the central tower and the River Wear which curves around Durham City.
Please note towers are open subject to weather conditions.
To check when the tower is open contact the visitor desk, open Mondays to Saturdays 9.30am - 16:30 and Sunday 12.30pm - 16.30, by emailing email@example.com or 0191 338 7178
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child 8-17||£2.50 per ticket type|
Tickets are available from the visitor desk inside the Cathedral. To check the tower opening please call the visitor desk on 0191 338 7178, between 09.30 - 16:30 Mon to Sat and 12.30 - 16:30 on Sunday. Lines are busy during peak visitor times, so alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets for the central tower cannot be pre-booked or booked online. Tickets for the north-west tower cannot be booked online.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good1202
- martinmolloy72Manchester, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelThe spiritual soul of DurhamSunday, 15th March 2020This grand old lady has towered over the city of Durham for centuries. It is as splendid on the inside as the outside. Admission is free and you are able to wander around at your leisure or for the... Read full review
- Simon EGrantham, United KingdomLong weekend awayWednesday, 18th March 2020We enjoyed a walk around this inspiring and historical cathedral. Very interesting guides and some displays to help enhance your visit. Take time to look and reflect on life in these wonderful walls... Read full review
- linh0wLiverpool, United KingdomCoach Trip out 15/3/2020Thursday, 19th March 2020My partner and I visited this beautiful building, but we were not allowed to enter certain areas unless we were part of the congregation because there was a church service in progress. We did however... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|North West Tower (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Friday - Saturday||10:30||- 10:30|
|Central Tower (1 June 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00|