At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission and free parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good338
- NP819Leeds, United KingdomSmall but well worth a visitThursday, 14th November 2019Large, free carpark and free admission so definately worth a visit. Warm and airy with well laid out displays and information boards. The staff are friendly and helpful. The cafe serves a good range... Read full review
- boydy73Darlington, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyInterestingThursday, 21st November 2019This is one of our Grandsons favourite places and has been since he toddled now 3yrs 6mts. It's such an interesting place with a variety of activities and it's lovely to see him progress to know been... Read full review
- David CWorcester, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA brilliant surpriseFriday, 22nd November 2019Called in whilst visiting Durham. A very unique museum & a fantastic Deltic to see. Well done. A superb place for train geeks Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2019/20 Winter (4 Nov 2019 - 31 Mar 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|2020 Summer (1 Apr 2020 - 1 Nov 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 24–26 December and 1 January
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.