At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Free admission and free parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good308
- andrew rMiddlesbrough, United KingdomDay outTuesday, 15th January 2019Lovely place and great for kids with a safe park onsite there is a decent loco collection and have events through the year Nice cafe on site and vrry clean Read full review
- Julie WUnited KingdomGREAT PLACE TO VISIT!Tuesday, 22nd January 2019Wonderful museum, great location and nice, reasonably priced cafe too. Ideal for Railway enthusiasts/photographers. Read full review
- Penelope_-_-_-_UK1Newton Abbot, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFamily VisitMonday, 11th February 2019Visited here with our 5 year old. Good variety of trains to look around and take pictures of. There are Kids activity tables with a choice of two items to make out of crafts. There is a well... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2018/19 Winter (4 Nov 2018 - 31 Mar 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|2019 Summer (1 Apr 2019 - 1 Nov 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 24–26 December and 1 January
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.