At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission tickets are now available to book.
To help us manage the number of people in the museum at one time, all visitors are now required to book a free admission ticket in advance to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit. You will also need to wear a face covering throughout the museum (face masks will be available to purchase when you book your tickets online), keep a safe distance from other visitors and follow marked routes.
Free admission and free parking. Please book your ticket in advance.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good344
- Cheekycockney190757Basildon, United KingdomWonderful glimpse into the past in a modern settingMonday, 5th July 2021Visited on Wednesday 19th May 2021 Locomotion, Shildon. I was excited to have my first visit here on the day it reopened post lockdowns. Had to pre-book for the free ticket in a designated time slot... Read full review
- realdeal_9north east englandTrip Type:BusinessSUPERB DAY OUT 28/07/21Wednesday, 28th July 2021Booked online free tickets for family and father in law and went today as first day this year for the flying scotsman here for two weeks.left a donation whilst inside.we all had a fab time and lots... Read full review
- B422XWannbGreat day out for all the familyFriday, 30th July 2021Afternoon tea was fantastic, the cakes and sandwiches were varied, portions generous and quality excellent. Added a real sense of occasion to our visit. To see 'The Flying Scotsman' again, after a... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.