**The museum is temporarily closed due to government restrictions. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. While our doors will be closed for a while, our collection—and the inspirational stories it contains—remain open to you online and you can book now for when the museum reopens**
At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission and free parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good343
- EssexReviewerEssexGreat place to visit !!Monday, 7th September 2020Great place to visit whether you are visiting with children or as 'grown ups'. We love this place and so do our grandchildren (7rs & 5yrs). On this visit they particularly enjoyed finding the... Read full review
- sleepybexhillBexhill-on-Sea, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesIf you like your trains, it’s a good place to visitSaturday, 12th September 2020It’s a free exhibition, but you need to get a ticket online at the moment. I was surprised how good the building and displays were. They have some particularly good locomotives, carriages and trucks... Read full review
- EllieDxDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreatMonday, 5th October 2020Great afternoon. I visited yesterday with my partner, this was an unplanned trip. I didn’t realise how interesting something so close to home would be. I live at Bishop Auckland and I’ve never been... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Details of revised Summer 2020 opening dates - please check website also:
The museum will be open 11.00–16.00 until further notice.
Tuesday 28 July
Thursday 30 July
Saturday 1 August
WEEK 2 ONWARDS
Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
FROM WEDNESDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2020
Open all week except Tuesdays
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.