At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission and free parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good336
- PamP19544Scunthorpe, United Kingdomvery interesting visitFriday, 11th October 2019this place is a little gem. It has lots to see and activities for young visitors. At the time of our visit there was a working "O" gauge track operating a couple of trains on the Shildon set up. The... Read full review
- margaretdonnell146Protaras, CyprusInterestingFriday, 11th October 2019Lovely little gem it’s a bit out of the way but is well sign posted. Kids will love it as lots of trains to see, it’s a reminder of how things used to be. Nice little cafe selling cake scones and hot... Read full review
- 16martindDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFor somewhere free it is fantasticSunday, 13th October 2019Took my 1.5 year old son and he really enjoyed himself. There are plenty of engines to see and we particularly enjoyed getting to look inside some (only a pity you can't see in more). The staff were... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2019 Summer (1 Apr 2019 - 1 Nov 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|2018/19 Winter (4 Nov 2019 - 31 Mar 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Closed 24–26 December and 1 January
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.