At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission and free parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good314
- achan34Sittingbourne, United KingdomInteresting rail museumThursday, 11th April 2019The museum is situated in Shildon. The main exhibit hall is generally crowded with exhibits but is easy to get around. Good disabled access. The exhibits do change as the collection is part of the... Read full review
- PBBADBTrip Type:FamilyIf youre into trains its aceSaturday, 13th April 2019If you're not then it's probably not for you. They do have lots of events on with various activities but it really is what it says on the tin. A museum filled with trains. Read full review
- Richard MBournemouth, United KingdomTrip Type:Familyif you like trains its the place for youSaturday, 13th April 2019whats not to like! its free entry with an optional donation plenty to look at althouh some of it wasnt open on our visit Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2019 Summer (1 Apr 2019 - 1 Nov 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|2018/19 Winter (4 Nov 2019 - 31 Mar 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Closed 24–26 December and 1 January
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.