At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission and free parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good341
- davidyoung177Bishop Auckland, United KingdomRail Museum, ShildonWednesday, 12th February 2020Good parking and access. Varied collection of engines and carriages from different times. Nice little cafe selling tea,coffee and various other drinks together with hot and cold snacks. Week-ends... Read full review
- vincentrX5953BEExcellent Museum - shame about the cafe!Thursday, 20th February 2020This is an excellent place to take grandchildren on a rainy day in half term or really at any time. The exhibits are really excellent and so varied. The train ride is well worth the small fee of £3... Read full review
- CrannyallanPrudhoe, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat place to visitThursday, 20th February 2020This is a great place to take children and loco fans, there is plenty to occupy all ages and to make things better it is free entry, they do ask for a voluntary donation but whatever you do it is... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2019/20 Winter (4 Nov 2019 - 31 Mar 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|2020 Summer (1 Apr 2020 - 1 Nov 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 24–26 December and 1 January
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.