At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Free admission and free parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good305
- d4duckyGlasgow, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat attractionTuesday, 6th November 2018I have visited the Railway Museum at York and was keen to visit this smaller exhibition. I was not disappointed by the exhibits on display and would certainly recommend this exhibition. All that is... Read full review
- John RTrip Type:FamilyNostalgiaTuesday, 6th November 2018A Great place to go at half term to show the kids the days of mighty engineering, especially the Heritage of the North East . Read full review
- 0043Hexham, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelCommunication?...err....noMonday, 12th November 2018I travelled 35 miles to visit a museum I’d never been to, and I wasn’t to disappointed....the exhibits are a source of wonder, and I’m constantly amazed that what I see before me is all reconstituted... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|Winter (4 Nov 2018 - 28 Feb 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Closed 24–26 December and 1 January
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.