Dale Road Industrial Estate
Tel: +44 033 0058 0058
At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission and free parking. Please book your ticket in advance.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2022
- Very Good353
- MadalynH7Huddersfield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInteresting visitSaturday, 18th March 2023A very good display of engines and trucks with interesting displays and film relating to different aspects of railway history. Plenty going on - seating part way round - and a good cafe Read full review
- richardswanderingsEgremont, United KingdomFirst Class.Thursday, 6th April 2023A wonderful tribute to Britains railway history. Great to see how much effort has been put into making the exhibits attractive to the young!!!! Read full review
- anth4387Darlington, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBrilliant museumMonday, 10th April 2023Great for all ages our 2 year old boy loved every minute of it, plenty of trains and even had seam train rides, it’s free but we donated when we left, Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* Our normal opening hours are Wednesday–Sunday, 10.00–16.00 (winter), 10.00–17.00 (summer).
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.