The Undercroft Restaurant, situated next to the cloister at Durham Cathedral, offers a selection of homemade snacks and simple light lunches in a beautiful medieval space. Don't miss their great range of hot and cold drinks, with freshly brewed bean-to-cup coffee and Brew Tea Company tea which is perfect with one of our delicious homemade cakes or famous scones. Socially-distanced seating is available inside, or enjoy the fresh air at tables in the peaceful cloisters of Durham Cathedral. In accordance with government guidelines, The Undercroft currently offers table service only.
It is open 11am to 3pm every day except Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday.
The Undercroft Restaurant continues to source produce locally wherever possible, and is proud to holds a Taste Durham award in recognition of its support of local food producers.
The Undercroft can also be hired for private functions outside of usual opening hours, catering for a wide range of occasions with a variety of menus. Individual requirements can be accommodated with bespoke menus and choices. Current restrictions mean the Undercroft is not able to hold such events at the moment, but if you are interested in booking for a future event please contact email@example.com
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good12
- malc1005Kettering, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesMorning breakThursday, 5th September 2019We stopped here for morning tea and scones. Friendly service, good food, in a nice setting, well worth a visit. Read full review
- sheepygoldlondonTrip Type:Friends getawayGood value meal dealsWednesday, 9th October 2019We came to this self service restaurant on our Cathedral visit. Their hot food looked excellent but we just wanted a snack so I had a pre packed sandwich and bowl of soup and my wife had a sandwich... Read full review
- KuffyStaveley, United KingdomExcellent value in lovely surroundingsTuesday, 18th February 2020Good value wholesome food that uses local produce. The portions are generous and the atmosphere is relaxed with helpful staff. There was a good choice to suit all tastes. The tables were nicely... Read full review
- All areas accessible to disabled visitors
- Disability awareness training for all personnel
- Guide dogs permitted
- Level access, ramp or lift to a public toilet
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Serve lunch
Children & Infants
- Baby changing facilities
- 2m distancing in place
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||11:00||- 15:00|
|Bank Holiday||11:00||- 15:00|
* Closed Good Friday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Map & Directions
It is recommended that visitors to Durham Cathedral use public transport or walk to top of the Durham Peninsula.
Public Transport Directions
During the day Durham Cathedral Bus runs to Palace Green via Durham Market Place from Freeman's Place coach and car parks and the rail station. For timetable call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33.