Our Garden Gate Café is open 7 days a week serving breakfasts and light lunches alongside mouth-watering homemade cakes and scones.
Whether you are looking for a cup of tea and a cake or a tasty mid-day meal, The Garden Gate Café is the perfect place for you. Where ever possible we use produce from our own vegetable patch and our cakes are baked on site too
With both inside and outside seating areas, the café is a lovely place to spend time with family and friends come rain or shine.
We welcome dogs onto our sun terrace and we have parking for cyclist to secure their bikes too.
Our gift shop offers a range of souvenirs and local products including Durham Gin, South Durham Honey and Durham Brewery Ales.
Our staff look forward to welcoming you to The Garden Gate Café at Crook Hall and Gardens, the hidden gem of Durham City.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good193
- 930francesgNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayAfternoon TeaSunday, 23rd June 2019Visited on June 22nd to celebrate my friends birthday. Staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Afternoon tea was lovely and so filling we took most of our cakes home! The gardens are... Read full review
- Sheila CNorwich, United KingdomLovely place to visitMonday, 24th June 2019We thoroughly enjoyed our walk round this hall and the gardens. It is not large but it is interesting and has a lot of history. Must mention the extremely friendly and helpful staff in the coffee... Read full review
- 92BruceCStafford, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAn absolute jemTuesday, 25th June 2019Just a short walk from the city centre, this hall with its beautiful gardens was an absolute delight. I suppose that visiting in June may have given us the best of the gardens but the colours were... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Pets accepted
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||09:30||- 17:00|
* During the winter months we will close at 4pm
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M).
From the A1(M) junction 62, take the A690 into Durham City Centre. At the Gilesgate roundabout take the 2nd exit and follow the road straight over Milburngate Bridge. Take the first left at the end of the bridge and 1st left again. The River Wear will now be in front of you, follow the road round and the river will be on your right hand side. Follow the riverside along, passed the Radisson Blu Hotel and the main entrance to Crook Hall and Gardens is 500 metres further along. Our Garden Gate Cafe is the big wooden building at the entrance to the Crook Hall pay and display car park.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. From the station road walk down North Road past the bus station to The Gates Shopping Centre. Follow the road down to the riverside, and Crook Hall is signposted from there.