Our Garden Gate Café is open 7 days a week serving breakfasts and light lunches alongside mouth-watering homemade cakes and scones.
Whether you are looking for a cup of tea and a cake or a tasty mid-day meal, The Garden Gate Café is the perfect place for you. Where ever possible we use produce from our own vegetable patch and our cakes are baked on site too
With both inside and outside seating areas, the café is a lovely place to spend time with family and friends come rain or shine.
We welcome dogs onto our sun terrace and we have parking for cyclist to secure their bikes too.
Our gift shop offers a range of souvenirs and local products including Durham Gin, South Durham Honey and Durham Brewery Ales.
Our staff look forward to welcoming you to The Garden Gate Café at Crook Hall and Gardens, the hidden gem of Durham City.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good200
- Michael KBillingham, United KingdomLovely GardensTuesday, 4th February 2020We have visited Crook Hall and Gardens a couple of times and enjoyed our visits. We choose to visit in the spring and later in autumn to see the gardens at their best. We preferred the cafe in the... Read full review
- alexandracV7762QTTrip Type:FamilyAfternoon tea superbFriday, 7th February 2020The most amazing scone I have ever tasted. The setting was absolutely beautiful, the food was to die for and the staff were friendly and welcoming. It was a really beautiful day for me my dad and... Read full review
- TinaJ1846Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawaySparkling Afternoon TeaThursday, 13th February 2020Wonderful afternoon. On arrival we were shown to our tea room (was 11 of us) and served a glass of fizz and welcome serving of mini sausages and delicious quiche. This was promptly followed by the... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Pets accepted
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||09:30||- 17:00|
* During the winter months we will close at 4pm
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M).
From the A1(M) junction 62, take the A690 into Durham City Centre. At the Gilesgate roundabout take the 2nd exit and follow the road straight over Milburngate Bridge. Take the first left at the end of the bridge and 1st left again. The River Wear will now be in front of you, follow the road round and the river will be on your right hand side. Follow the riverside along, passed the Radisson Blu Hotel and the main entrance to Crook Hall and Gardens is 500 metres further along. Our Garden Gate Cafe is the big wooden building at the entrance to the Crook Hall pay and display car park.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. From the station road walk down North Road past the bus station to The Gates Shopping Centre. Follow the road down to the riverside, and Crook Hall is signposted from there.