AboutSt John's is located at the heart of the ancient city of Durham, opposite the cathedral and within the Castle Bailey wall in an area now designated a World Heritage Site. It is one of the oldest colleges in Durham.
Consisting of a row of inter-linked Georgian houses perched between the cathedral and the River Wear, St John's is a maze of corridors and idiosyncratic rooms overlooking the river valley. Former occupants include the widow of Dean Whittingham, translator of the Geneva Bible (quoted by Shakespeare), and the Bowes-Lyon and Eden families. A regular visitor was Alice Liddell - the inspiration for Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.
Family rooms available - accommodating families of 3 or 4.
Please contact college directly for special deals
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Single||£37.00 per person (breakfast included)|
|Twin/Double||£66.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 3 Visit England Stars Guest Accommodation
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available - Accessed via three steps - hand rail available
- Non smoking rooms available - All rooms are non-smoking rooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Cater for vegetarians
- Serve breakfast
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Offsite - Parking available for coaches in the Sands coach park
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Accept coach parties
- Cater for groups
- Cater for individuals
- Central heating throughout
- Conference facilities
- Garden/patio for guests use
- Ironing facilities - Available on request
- Number of Shared Bathrooms - 1
- Separate guests' lounge
- In town/city centre
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Adjacent to Durham Castle and Cathedral. World Heritage Site.
- WiFi Available
- Aim to attract conferences and business meetings
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Church groups and schools
- Special provisions for cyclists - Bike shed available.
Travel & Trade
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
|2019 Summer (29 June 2018 - 29 Sept 2018)|
|2019 Easter (19 Mar 2019 - 20 Apr 2019)|
* Open during college vacations
Limited accommodation also available during term time.
Map & Directions
From A1(M) jct 62
Take A690 to Durham, 2nd roundabout, 2nd exit to the market place. Through the traffic lights and on to the Bailey.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Cathedral bus which links the cathedral, market place, railway station, North Road bus station and coach park every 20 minutes, or taxi from railway station.