Burnhopeside Hall is a Grade II* listed building of Historical interest, having been the home of William Hedley, Engineer. A working model of his "Puffing Billy" railway engine is at Beamish Museum (5miles North). The original can be seen in the Science Museum in London.
The Country House provides a beautiful setting for a peaceful & relaxing stay for business or holiday travellers.It is surrounded by 18 acres of gardens and woodland, which merge with the Estate's farmland and woodland, providing 475 acres of private areas for walking and cycling and 3/4 mile of river.
The Farm rears outdoor free range pigs, chickens, ducks and geese. A Walled Garden built in 1893 provides produce for the house, so that most of what is provided in the house is home grown or reared. The property is heated by biomass boilers using wood chip, which within 12 months will be supplied from our own woodlands. The property is warm and comfortable throughout the year, with traditional open log fires in all downstairs rooms.
The four bedrooms are large and comfortable with super king double beds, traditional furniture and modern en-suite bathrooms. Breakfast is served in the dining room around a large circular table seating 8 people or can be enjoyed in your bedroom.
The top floor of the Hall offers a self catering apartment.
This is somewhere to stay when you want to escape to the country but not be too far from the town.
We are located 6.5 miles west of Durham City,a World Heritage Site and Newcastle & Gateshead are 16 miles north.They offer excellent restaurants,The Sage & Theatre Royal.Hadrian's Wall is an easy distance and there are a number of local golf courses in the surrounding area.
On the Estate, we can stable your horses, kennel your dogs and provide shooting days. A number of good hunting packs are within driving distance and on our doorstep. We can arrange walking with birds of prey.
We offer something rather different and want you to enjoy your stay.
Take a look at our Instagram
- Arrival Date:
- Tues , 5th Dec 2023
- Departure Date:
- Wed , 6th Dec 2023
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double en suite||£85.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Eviivo Hidden Gem North East 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good6
- Jeremy BExcellent overnight stay!Tuesday, 30th May 2023An excellent place to stay as a stop-off on our trip to Northumberland. Philip couldn't have been more helpful and was a mine of fascinating information. Accomodation was beautiful, breakfast was... Read full review
- Helen KCumbria, United KingdomAmazing placeFriday, 15th September 2023This is the fourth time we have stayed at Burnhopeside. Christine is a fabulous host, the rooms are spacious, clean and tidy with beautiful views. The bed is the most comfortable I have ever slept... Read full review
- Teddy_TCWhat a wonderful place to staySunday, 24th September 2023After a long journey Christine made us extremely welcome. What is better than a restorative cup of tea, a friendly knowledgeable host and canine foot warmer. The room was well appointed, looking... Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)|