Burnhopeside Hall is a GradeII* listed building of Historical interest, having been the home of William Hedley, Engineer. A working model of his "Puffing Billy" railway engine is at Beamish Museum (5miles North). The original can be seen in the Science Museum in London.
The Country House provides a beautiful setting for a peaceful & relaxing stay for business or holiday travellers.It is surrounded by 18 acres of gardens and woodland, which merge with the Estate's farmland and woodland, providing 475 acres of private areas for walking and cycling and 3/4 mile of river.
The Farm rears outdoor free range pigs, chickens, ducks and geese. A Walled Garden built in 1893 provides produce for the house, so that most of what is provided in the house is home grown or reared. The property is heated by biomass boilers using wood chip, which within 12 months will be supplied from our own woodlands. The property is warm and comfortable throughout the year, with traditional open log fires in all downstairs rooms.
The four bedrooms are large and comfortable with super king double beds, traditional furniture and modern en-suite bathrooms. Breakfast is served in the dining room around a large circular table seating 8 people or can be enjoyed in your bedroom.
The top floor of the Hall offers a self catering apartment.
This is somewhere to stay when you want to escape to the country but not be too far from the town.
We are located 6.5 miles west of Durham City,a World Heritage Site and Newcastle & Gateshead are 16 miles north.They offer excellent restaurants,The Sage & Theatre Royal.Hadrian's Wall is an easy distance and there are a number of local golf courses in the surrounding area.
On the Estate, we can stable your horses, kennel your dogs and provide shooting days. A number of good hunting packs are within driving distance and on our doorstep. We can arrange walking with birds of prey.
We offer something rather different and want you to enjoy your stay.
- Arrival Date:
- Fri , 7th Aug 2020
- Departure Date:
- Sat , 8th Aug 2020
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double en suite||£85.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Eviivo Hidden Gem North East 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2020
- Very Good6
- salsakarlRingwood, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWarm, comfortable and calmThursday, 19th March 2020We stayed for a couple of nights, and despite being an old house, the rooms were warm ( no draughts), clean and comfortable. Christine was very hospitable, enduring that we had a great stay. The... Read full review
- Trevor COakhamTrip Type:CouplesTranquilityTuesday, 14th July 2020Stayed for one night, will definitely be returning as this is a very friendly and peaceful place to relax and enjoy some down time. The room was very spacious and fitted out to a very high standard... Read full review
- Rick KWalmersley, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAbsolutely fantasticThursday, 23rd July 2020I spent a night here with my son due to the proximity of the Lanchester Way cycle path that we wanted to cycle the following day. I can't speak highly enough of the accommodation or the owners... Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists
|2020 (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|