Burnhopeside Hall is a GradeII* listed building of Historical interest, having been the home of William Hedley, Engineer. A working model of his "Puffing Billy" railway engine is at Beamish Museum (5miles North). The original can be seen in the Science Museum in London.
The Country House provides a beautiful setting for a peaceful & relaxing stay for business or holiday travellers.It is surrounded by 18 acres of gardens and woodland, which merge with the Estate's farmland and woodland, providing 475 acres of private areas for walking and cycling and 3/4 mile of river.
The Farm rears outdoor free range pigs, chickens, ducks and geese. A Walled Garden built in 1893 provides produce for the house, so that most of what is provided in the house is home grown or reared. The property is heated by biomass boilers using wood chip, which within 12 months will be supplied from our own woodlands. The property is warm and comfortable throughout the year, with traditional open log fires in all downstairs rooms.
The four bedrooms are large and comfortable with super king double beds, traditional furniture and modern en-suite bathrooms. Breakfast is served in the dining room around a large circular table seating 8 people or can be enjoyed in your bedroom.
The top floor of the Hall offers a self catering apartment.
This is somewhere to stay when you want to escape to the country but not be too far from the town.
We are located 6.5 miles west of Durham City,a World Heritage Site and Newcastle & Gateshead are 16 miles north.They offer excellent restaurants,The Sage & Theatre Royal.Hadrian's Wall is an easy distance and there are a number of local golf courses in the surrounding area.
On the Estate, we can stable your horses, kennel your dogs and provide shooting days. A number of good hunting packs are within driving distance and on our doorstep. We can arrange walking with birds of prey.
We offer something rather different and want you to enjoy your stay.
- Arrival Date:
- Wed , 27th Mar 2019
- Departure Date:
- Thur , 28th Mar 2019
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double en suite||£85.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Eviivo Hidden Gem North East 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good6
- VeeDee44Mevagissey, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWonderful place to stayMonday, 25th February 2019We had a glorious time at the farmhouse where we booked all five rooms for a sixtieth birthday weekend. Christine, Philip, Sharon and Toby couldn’t have been more hospitable and kinder. Delicious... Read full review
- CathyBrown1London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFULSunday, 3rd March 2019I was brought up in Lanchester, and never knew this beautiful gem was here. It is set back off the road in absolute stunning grounds and is so peaceful. The rooms are a great size and it is very... Read full review
- Discover632010Trip Type:FamilyA great place for a party!Sunday, 3rd March 2019We booked the Farmhouse (and most of the Hall) for my 60th birthday party. Christine and her staff were so welcoming and helpful! The Farmhouse was a great place for it. We were able to seat 34... Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|