Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northern Saints Trails Passport 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good43
- annieS2021Newport, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyInteresting to have a look even if you are not a big museum personMonday, 20th June 2022Plenty to see and read if you are inclined although only small exhibitions. The World Heritage section and the visitor centre and museum are all in one building now so you can dip into a bit of each... Read full review
- traceyg855Halesowen, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFantastic helpful and knowledgeable staffWednesday, 31st August 2022A great place to start your trip to historic Durham Staff fantastic. Full of useful suggestions and advice Definitely visit to library. Amazing Highly recommend Read full review
- CJA6161Cornwall, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExcellent and informative experience, with free entrySaturday, 22nd July 2023Houses a 17th century library which is very special, and an excellent archaeological museum including local roman and medieval finds by metal detectorists and a great film using Lego figures telling... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)
|Monday - Sunday
* From April to October we are open until 7pm on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month.
During December we are closed from 23rd until 26th, open from 27th until 30th, 11am-4pm, and then closed again December 31st and January 1st.