The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Wolsingham and Frosterley before continuing to Stanhope.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£8.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£36.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£7.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £12; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £16, Child £10, Senior £14, Family £40
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good101
- Lynda WGuisborough, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyVery disappointing trip Christmas 2017 - 'Train to Christmas Town'.Thursday, 6th September 2018I really believed this event wouldn't take place again this year as it was an awful experience and not worth the money. As it is now being advertised I felt I had to do this belated review from a... Read full review
- Ibis_userUKGood value, lovely scenery, and friendly volunteer staffTuesday, 28th August 2018Travelled from Bishop Auckland West (not to be confused with Bishop Auckland national rail station) to Stanhope and return in a 1958 heritage single diesel railcar. Wonderful views through the large... Read full review
- Paul CBillingham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat journey.Wednesday, 8th August 2018We have been on many preserved railways and this has to be one of the best. The countryside is beautiful and the ticket prices very reasonable. Good luck to them. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2018 (25 Mar 2018 - 31 Oct 2018)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays. Extra trains Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun from 20 Jul to 31 Aug please contact station for further information during this period. Cafe open Thu-Sun, 10:30-16:30.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.