The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Wolsingham and Frosterley before continuing to Stanhope.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£8.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£36.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£7.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £12; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £16, Child £10, Senior £14, Family £40
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good101
- sarahlN2540EOTrip Type:FamilyAbsolutely disappointing experienceTuesday, 18th December 2018We visited here my sister and friend and our 5 children, the story wasn’t loud enough for us to hear, the elf with the book was at the other end of the carriage so we had no idea what was going on... Read full review
- Amy MTrip Type:Familytrain to christmas townSaturday, 22nd December 2018Total waste of money. paid £80 for me and my 6 year old. the elves danced too 2 songs then passed out hot chocolate and a cookie. arrived at christmas town which was a wooden cut out. eleves played 2... Read full review
- GAnnis2016Trip Type:FamilyABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC FOR ALL AGESSunday, 23rd December 2018we were a party of 10 and a baby (10 months old). ages ranged from 60 to 10months. and this was fantastic on all levels to suit every age. especially the children. we were nervous about being sat... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2019 (1 Mar 2019 - 31 Oct 2019)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays. Extra trains Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun from 20 Jul to 31 Aug please contact station for further information during this period. Cafe open Thu-Sun, 10:30-16:30.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.