The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Wolsingham and Frosterley before continuing to Stanhope.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£8.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£36.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£7.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £12; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £16, Child £10, Senior £14, Family £40
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good99
- John LGateshead, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelWeardale Railway is extended to Bishop AucklandThursday, 12th July 2018The Weardale Railway is a Heritage Railway running from the Town of Bishop Auckland to Stanhope, County Durham. It passes through several scenic towns and villages. Services have recently resumed the... Read full review
- Mrs R LTrip Type:CouplesRailtripThursday, 12th July 2018Great trip the wear dale line from Stanhope to bishop Auckland and return lovely friendly staff and helpful couldn't do enough for us Read full review
- Jude GShipley, United KingdomTrain to Christmas TownSunday, 24th June 2018Had a great time on the train to christmas town, well organised, great staff and great fun. Loved being n PJ’s and the kids loved it, even the husband had a smile n his face! Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2018 (25 Mar 2018 - 31 Oct 2018)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays. Extra trains Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun from 20 Jul to 31 Aug please contact station for further information during this period. Cafe open Thu-Sun, 10:30-16:30.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.