The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Stanhope to Bishop Auckland via stations at Frosterley, Wolsingham and Witton-le-Wear.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£41.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£8.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £16, Child £9, Senior £14; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £24, Child £14, Senior £20, Family £48
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good110
- TONY WGreat Torrington, United KingdomBeautifully Restored RailcarSaturday, 5th October 2019Travelled in the single diesel railcar. Its in very good condition inside and outside with very comfortable seating. Very good views if looking from behind the driver on the journey to Bishop... Read full review
- Shop356DissapointingWednesday, 9th October 2019vey dissapointed as no veiw from train we seemed to be sitting on the side that just brished by trees and shrubs and i was expecting to see far more of the amazing scenery of weardale service good... Read full review
- Simon KTrip Type:FamilyTrain to Christmas townTuesday, 5th November 2019What a experience for adults and children very well organised and all staff really get involved not to expensive either and anyone not been before should go this year as I have heard it’s back and on... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2018 (25 Mar 2018 - 31 Oct 2018)|
|2019 (1 Mar 2019 - 31 Oct 2019)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays. Extra trains Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun from 20 Jul to 31 Aug please contact station for further information during this period. Cafe open Thu-Sun, 10:30-16:30.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.