Take a ride on the Weardale Railway heritage passenger service to enjoy stunning views of Weardale, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and explore the historic market towns of Wolsingham and Stanhope.
The Weardale Railway is an 18 mile heritage line running from a connection with the main rail network at Bishop Auckland to Eastgate in Weardale, County Durham. The railway is part of the Stockton to Darlington line, (famous for having the first passenger rail service in the world) which will celebrate its 200th anniversary in 2025.
In May 2022 we reopened the the 6 mile stretch between Stanhope and Wolsingham whilst track maintenance work continues towards Bishop Auckland. The seasonal passenger services are operated by the Weardale Railway Trust using heritage 1960s diesel multiple units.
They currently offer three Saturday services leaving Stanhope Station at 11am, 1pm and 3pm, with the return trips leaving Wolsingham Station at 11.30am, 1.30pm and 3.30pm. There are also stops at Frosterley and Kingfisher along the route.
Tickets are available on the day from Stanhope Station and on the train.
Visit the Weardale Railway Trust website for the full timetable and fares.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£4.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £9, Child £5, Senior £7; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £11, Family £34
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good113
- wilky002Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAmazing and well organisedTuesday, 21st January 2020Went on the train to Christmas town for the 3rd year running and it was amazing again. We love this train as it’s a great couple of hours out. You don’t get off the train which is personally great... Read full review
- Mrs ETrip Type:Friends getawayA cheerful outing with Good foodThursday, 23rd January 2020My friends and I visited 22 January We have been a few times before. We go back for the lovely vegan food, although we are not Vegan. I like my toast and tea cakes well toasted which they do. The... Read full review
- Ashish GTrip Type:BusinessTrain is good for holiday purposeWednesday, 12th February 2020Well the experienced is great. My business purpose point of view is good for travelling in local place. Train is very neat n also the environment is also very good.Staff were excellent. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2023 (28 May 2023 - 2 July 2023)|
* Saturdays only.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.