The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Stanhope to Bishop Auckland via stations at Frosterley, Wolsingham and Witton-le-Wear.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£41.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£8.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £16, Child £9, Senior £14; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £24, Child £14, Senior £20, Family £48
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good108
- CraigveryhappyNewton Aycliffe, United KingdomAfternoon TeaSunday, 25th August 2019the afternoon tea was great but could have been so much better I would like to point a few things out we travelled with my 84 year old mother in law as she used to travel the line back in the day... Read full review
- K4aclrNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyCream Tea Train not to be missed!!!Monday, 26th August 2019We visited again yesterday at Stanhope station to join the Cream Tea Train, this was a birthday gift for my mother and grandmother, I took my 9 year old son again too as he loves it. The staff are so... Read full review
- Lynne GGateshead, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCream tea on the trainMonday, 26th August 2019Running slightly late we arrived to find a lovely gentleman holding our tickets so we could jump straight on to the train. Coffee and cream tea served as we traveled from Stanhope to Bishop Auckland... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2019 (1 Mar 2019 - 31 Oct 2019)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays. Extra trains Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun from 20 Jul to 31 Aug please contact station for further information during this period. Cafe open Thu-Sun, 10:30-16:30.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.