The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Wolsingham and Frosterley before continuing to Stanhope.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£8.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£36.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£7.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £12; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £16, Child £10, Senior £14, Family £40
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good98
- Sylvia CHolmrook, United KingdomHeritage WeekendWednesday, 2nd May 2018The weekend we picked for our visit turned out to be a Heritage Event. Unfortunately the steam train was in for refurbishment, but the vintage diesel train kept us happy. We travelled down the line... Read full review
- BethanySandersonTrip Type:Solo travelAmazing timeMonday, 30th April 2018Last december we had booked up to see The Polar Express, and it was fantastic! We even went in our PJ's for the full experience 😊. The cast were incredible actors/actresses and the dancing was... Read full review
- RSPBjoshBlackpool, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelLovely day outSunday, 29th April 2018I came here just purely on the spur of the moment. Lovely little cafe was the first stop with excellent bacon butties and pots of tea- always a good way to start any day out! Tickets are £14 pound... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
- Out of Hours Visits
|2018 (25 Mar 2018 - 31 Oct 2018)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays. Extra trains Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun from 20 Jul to 31 Aug please contact station for further information during this period. Cafe open Thu-Sun, 10:30-16:30.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.