The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Stanhope to Bishop Auckland via stations at Frosterley, Wolsingham and Witton-le-Wear.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£41.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£8.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £16, Child £9, Senior £14; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £24, Child £14, Senior £20, Family £48
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good113
- wilky002Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAmazing and well organisedTuesday, 21st January 2020Went on the train to Christmas town for the 3rd year running and it was amazing again. We love this train as it’s a great couple of hours out. You don’t get off the train which is personally great... Read full review
- Mrs ETrip Type:Friends getawayA cheerful outing with Good foodThursday, 23rd January 2020My friends and I visited 22 January We have been a few times before. We go back for the lovely vegan food, although we are not Vegan. I like my toast and tea cakes well toasted which they do. The... Read full review
- Ashish GTrip Type:BusinessTrain is good for holiday purposeWednesday, 12th February 2020Well the experienced is great. My business purpose point of view is good for travelling in local place. Train is very neat n also the environment is also very good.Staff were excellent. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.