The Weardale Railway follows the path of the River Wear and passes through the spectacular scenery of Weardale. With historic connections to the Stockton & Darlington Railway, it was once a vital link to the industrial heart of Teesside. Steeped in a rich industrial heritage, the area is also renowned for magnificent and unspoilt views of the countryside.
The railway is a partnership between the majority stakeholder British American Railway Services, Durham County Council and the Weardale Railway Trust, with a united goal of delivering a reliable service and an enjoyable experience.
A fun day out for all, young or old, our uniformed staff wait to welcome you aboard authentic carriages hauled by our heritage locomotives.
Relax in the cafe with home made traditional food baked on the premises.
The heritage service offers departures from Stanhope to Bishop Auckland via stations at Frosterley, Wolsingham and Witton-le-Wear.
The railway is available for hire, details on application. Special events catered for.
Timetable enquiries - 01388 526203, www.weardale-railway.org.uk
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£41.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£8.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £16, Child £9, Senior £14; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £24, Child £14, Senior £20, Family £48
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good106
- Kathleen STrip Type:Friends getawayDisappointed.Wednesday, 17th July 2019First of all train had awful smell,good have done with a good clean especially the windows ,you couldn't see out they were that dirty. A hosing down would have done it.the person picking up... Read full review
- holidaymanWashingtonNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRelaxation in a Bubble!Wednesday, 17th July 2019We fancied a jaunt and as it is six years since we went on the railway, we thought it was high time we went back. We parked at the station in Stanhope, which was quite busy and only had two disabled... Read full review
- MarOConnSunderland, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayAfternoon Tea TrainFriday, 19th July 2019Along with several other groups we went on the afternoon tea train on Sunday and after seeing other reviews I just had to say how different I found the experience. Firstly the catering was lovely... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2019 (1 Mar 2019 - 31 Oct 2019)|
* Please check website for dates and times before travelling. Special Christmas services available. Additional services during school holidays. Extra trains Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun from 20 Jul to 31 Aug please contact station for further information during this period. Cafe open Thu-Sun, 10:30-16:30.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.