The Weardale Railway is an 18 mile heritage line running from a connection with the main rail network at Bishop Auckland to Eastgate in Weardale, County Durham, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Currently a 16 mile section of line between Bishop Auckland and Stanhope has been restored for passenger and freight use.
Initially in 2022 we will operate the 6 miles between Stanhope and Wolsingham whilst track maintenance work continues towards Bishop Auckland.
There are intermediate stations at Frosterley, Wolsingham and Witton-le-Wear. Services will also stop at a new halt serving Kingfisher Leisure Park in 2022. This was designed and constructed by volunteers of the Trust in partnership with Weardale Railway Limited, part of The Auckland Project, who own the line.
The diesel unit heritage service will resume on Saturday 28th May. Due to continuing track maintenance work on the section between Wolsingham and Bishop Auckland, we will initially be running between Stanhope and Wolsingham on Saturdays only. Please look out for further announcements on the Weardale Railway website.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult single||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child single||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Children 4 and under||Free|
|Family (2+3) return||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior single||£4.00 per ticket type|
Return Tickets: Adults £9, Child £5, Senior £7; Full Line Day Rover Tickets: Adults £14, Child £8, Senior £11, Family £34
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good113
- wilky002Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAmazing and well organisedTuesday, 21st January 2020Went on the train to Christmas town for the 3rd year running and it was amazing again. We love this train as it’s a great couple of hours out. You don’t get off the train which is personally great... Read full review
- Mrs ETrip Type:Friends getawayA cheerful outing with Good foodThursday, 23rd January 2020My friends and I visited 22 January We have been a few times before. We go back for the lovely vegan food, although we are not Vegan. I like my toast and tea cakes well toasted which they do. The... Read full review
- Ashish GTrip Type:BusinessTrain is good for holiday purposeWednesday, 12th February 2020Well the experienced is great. My business purpose point of view is good for travelling in local place. Train is very neat n also the environment is also very good.Staff were excellent. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free parking at all 3 stations, but limited parking at Frosterley.
- Dogs Accepted - dogs accepted on trains
|2022 (28 May 2022 - 2 July 2022)|
* Saturdays only.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Leave the A68 at Harperley roundabout, jct with the A689 Crook-Wolsingham road, by travelling west along the A689 and park at Wolsingham Station (4 miles) or Stanhope Station (10 miles) to catch a train.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest main line station is Darlington Bank Top Station, with connections via Darlington North Road Station, along the Bishop Auckland branch line to Bishop Auckland Station, the eventual eastern terminus of the Weardale Railway. Weardale Motors service 101 from Bishop Auckland bus station to Wolsingham or Stanhope.