“Outstanding Volunteer Run Museum” – but don’t take our word for it, this is the verdict of Renaissance North East and the Arts Council for England who have also awarded the museum full accreditation.
This small folk museum is packed with fascinating stories from the past including a lead-miner’s kitchen and The Weardale Tapestry, a beautiful 16 foot free-style embroidery depicting Weardale’s history.
New for this year are the finds from the excavations at St Botolph's Chapel, Frosterley including fragments of a medieval stone cross and the 'Frosterley Madonna'
To commemorate those who served in World War 1 the Museum has assembled a special display to remember every soldier from Weardale who died with stories, images and artefacts illustrating the lives of many individuals.
The Museum has a large collection of resources on Weardale family history including a database of 70,000 individuals
High House Chapel is currently closed while it is converted into a new Heritage Centre
|£4.50 per ticket type
Adult Admission £4.50 or £5.00 with 10% Gift Aid
Under 18's free
Cash or Card Payment methods accepted
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good4
- 734jacquijPreston, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelMemoriesFriday, 20th August 2021I became aware of the musuem and chapel from Facebook and took the opportunity to visit whilst in Durham visiting family. It was a beautiful drive to get there. I was last there in the 1980s on a... Read full review
- LunarscottLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFantastic little museum which packs a lot inWednesday, 26th October 2022Great for learning about the varied history of both the chapel and the area. Activities for children. Access to historical records for tracing local family. Very vivid and illustrative displays... Read full review
- Andy270967United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSmall but packing a big punch.Thursday, 27th October 2022What a lovely little museum with more items than you can imagine. This is what a real museum should look like. There is something for everyone with item you can hold and touch to beautiful cased... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Guide Dogs Permitted
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Offsite
- On site parking - Free parking behind the Museum and Chapel.
- Village Location
|2024 (1 Apr 2024 - 31 Oct 2024)
* Our opening times may change depending on the situation and availability of Stewards, please check our Facebook page or our website for details.
Please note that High House Chapel is currently closed for building and restoration work.