“Outstanding Volunteer Run Museum” – but don’t take our word for it, this is the verdict of Renaissance North East and the Arts Council for England who have also awarded the museum full accreditation.
This small folk museum is packed with fascinating stories from the past including a lead-miner’s kitchen and The Weardale Tapestry, a beautiful 16 foot free-style embroidery depicting Weardale’s history.
New for this year are the finds from the excavations at St Botolph's Chapel, Frosterley including fragments of a medieval stone cross and the 'Frosterley Madonna'
To commemorate those who served in World War 1 the Museum has assembled a special display to remember every soldier from Weardale who died with stories, images and artefacts illustrating the lives of many individuals.
The Museum has a large collection of resources on Weardale family history including a database of 70,000 individuals
High House Chapel is currently closed while it is converted into a new Heritage Centre
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£3.00 per ticket type|
To help with keeping our staff and visitors safe, please call to pre-book tickets - daily slots at 13:00, 14:10 and 15:20
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good3
- Barbara BBishop Auckland, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayA little hidden gemWednesday, 26th June 2019We spent a couple of hours here it was so interesting to be able to see and touch some of the things that were commonplace in homes in the area not too many years in the past, some I could remember... Read full review
- CjlintonBishop Auckland, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessWonderfulTuesday, 25th February 2020Visited as part of a team building day with work. Excellent presentation from the staff followed by a visit to the exceptional little museum in the attached manse. Certainly know more about... Read full review
- Expl0rer007Meltham, United KingdomHIGH HOUSE CHAPEL IS A MUSTSunday, 13th September 2020With covid affecting all sorts of places these days. we were unable to visit the Weardale Museum itself as so many of the volunteers are elderly and, therefore, at risk. But, we were able... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks available for visitors
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Offsite
- On site parking - Free parking behind the Museum and Chapel.
- Open by appointment only
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Village Location
|Summer School Holidays (19 July 2021 - 5 Sept 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||13:00||- 16:30|
* To help with keeping our staff and visitors safe, please call to pre-book tickets - daily slots at 13:00, 14:10 and 15:20
Our opening times may change depending on the situation and availability of Stewards, please check our Facebook page or our website for details.
Please note that High House Chapel is currently closed for building and restoration work.