“Outstanding Volunteer Run Museum” – but don’t take our word for it, this is the verdict of Renaissance North East and the Arts Council for England who have also awarded the museum full accreditation.
This small folk museum is packed with fascinating stories from the past including a hands on lead-miner’s kitchen and The Weardale Tapestry, a beautiful 16 foot free-style embroidery depicting Weardale’s history.
To commemorate those who served in World War 1 the Museum has assembled a special display to remember ever soldier from Weardale who died with stories, images and artefacts illustrating the lives of many individuals.
Visit also the historic and beautiful High House Chapel, the oldest Methodist Chapel to have held continuous weekly services since it was built in 1760, and one of John Wesley’s favourite chapels.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£3.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good2
- benedict409Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat little museum.Sunday, 5th August 2018A great little gem of a museum. Bargain at £3 per adult. The place is tiny but stuffed with so many interesting items I could have spent all day there looking through the photo albums. There is... Read full review
- MadalynH7Huddersfield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGood museum stopWednesday, 22nd August 2018An interesting local museum with a good range of interesting material regarding life in the area during the early mining and industrial period. Chapel is vast and very interesting. Much more... Read full review
- Jill GNew Mexico now (lived in Jamaica and Trinidad)Trip Type:CouplesA goldmine of family history!Tuesday, 18th September 2018I am an American who has researched my genealogy, trying to learn more about my English ancestors for many years. I've discovered many far-flung relatives in the US, also descending from John... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking behind the Museum and Chapel.
|2018 (1 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||13:30||- 16:30|
|Bank Holiday||13:30||- 16:30|
* Open Easter and Bank Holidays, May, June, July, Sept, and October (Wednesday to Sunday inclusive), Every afternoon in August
At any time, by appointment only, for organised groups.