Something for everyone in Barnard Castle
A registered charity and company limited by guarantee, The Witham is a community venue for theatre, music, art and social events, reliant on your support. Governed by a board of trustees, our facilities range from the architecturally award-winning café bar to a fully-renovated Victorian music hall. There’s also a gallery and a box office. Our gift shop doubles as a Visitor Information Point for the area. Free wifi is available throughout. Parking is plentiful.
For private hire, there’s a variety of rooms suitable for business meetings and classes, and from time to time, some charming studios for micro businesses to rent.
The fully-accessible rear of the building is enhanced by a hay meadow, a shepherdess caravan for children’s play and an outside seating area – perfect for enjoying food and drink before a show.
Become a Friend of The Witham
The support of Friends is fundamental to The Witham’s long-term success. The rewards of being a Friend include:
- advanced booking for selected events
- access to at least one exclusive pre- or post-show gathering with the opportunity to meet performers or gain insights behind-the-scenes
- seasonal updates on The Witham’s successes and challenges
- automatic enrolment in The Witham Film Club
- special exclusive Friends’ events.
Annual membership runs from the start of the month in which you join, and the cost is £25 for one and £40 for two people living at the same address and registering at the same time. Join online here.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good24
- ChrisBurrSunderland, United KingdomInviting and interestingFriday, 8th November 2019I'd never been here before, and was visiting a photographic exhibition (North Pennines AONB) which was superb. A bright, clean space in an ideal location in this Co. Durham market town. I plan to... Read full review
- Shirley Jcoffee stopMonday, 25th November 2019Great place for coffee and scones/cake, or light lunches. Good choice of basic food, well presented, friendly staff. Read full review
- 836patriciaNorth Yorkshire, United KingdomYorkshire ShepherdessSaturday, 30th November 2019Visited the Witham to see Amanda Owen with a friend who is currently in a wheelchair. Pre-booked a wheelchair space with the box-office. What a lovely reception we got when we arrived - the staff... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- On-Site café/restaurant
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Tuesday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Open Tue-Sat, 1000-1600.