The Plotters’ Forest is an immersive outdoor playground located in a magical Christmas Tree Plantation at Raby Castle.
The perfect place to reap the benefits of outdoor play for children using a range of interactive games.
Enter through the towering gateway and disappear into the dense woodland. Explore ground-level forest trails, then climb to high walkways and towers. Become part of a world of magic and mischief: create a cacophony on outdoor musical instruments and match pairs on our giant memory game, or strike a Plotters’ Portrait pose and cause chaos with our spinning signposts.
Visitors young and old will love getting lost amongst exhilarating views, sky-high turrets and treetop tunnels, before spreading out on stargazing decks and slipping down slides. Send your fellow plotters coded messages through the Talking Tubes, and spot enemies in the Mischief Mirrors. And for the very smallest rebels, there’s a dedicated toddler area: think mini turrets, climbing equipment, slides and a chalkboard for drawing secret squiggles.
For centuries, Raby Castle has been home to men and women who stood up for their beliefs and changed the course of history; plus those who weren’t so lucky and ended up in big trouble. Which will you prove to be: a Plucky Plotter or a Rotten Rebel? Find out in The Plotters’ Forest.
The Plotters’ Forest playground is a setting where little ones – and their imaginations – can run wild.
The Plotters' Forest and Deer Park
Adult - £9.00
Concession - £8.00
Child (ages 4 - 15yrs) - £8.50
Family (2 Adults, 3 Children) - £30.00
Under 4s - Free
Upgrade your ticket to include Raby Castle
Child (4 - 15yrs) +£2.00
Under 4s - Free
Family (2 adults, 3 children) +£16.50
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good263
- damsonviewWare, United KingdomA castle not to be missed!Monday, 18th September 2023Raby Castle is well worth a visit. The guides placed around the castle provided interesting details, and were more than happy to answer any questions. The soup in the cafe, made in the castle... Read full review
- LooneyLuna10Ruined a lot of people's day, thoughtless and greedyMonday, 18th September 2023VERY DISAPPOINTED can't believe that when we got there the castle was closed, without any advanced warning not even anything on the website or in the carpark. Wasn't until we got to the ticket kiosk... Read full review
- Michael WTrip Type:Solo travelBeautiful place and people!Monday, 18th September 2023I first visited Raby Castle when I was in my teens, many years later in August of this year I visited again and enjoyed myself so much I joined as a full year membership. The Castle and grounds are... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- Duration - 2 Hours
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite
- On site parking
- Event Venue
- Outdoor Attraction
- School Trips
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
|Open daily from 10am (please pre-book your time slot) (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.