The Auckland Project is a visitor destination located in the market town of Bishop Auckland. Comprising Auckland Castle, the historical home of the Prince Bishops of Durham, a walled garden, deer park, Auckland Tower an information centre with 15m high outdoor viewing platform, museum and galleries.
Auckland Castle is the former private palace for the Prince Bishops of Durham, dating back 900 years. It houses Jacob and his Twelve Sons a rare cycle of paintings by Spanish master painter Francisco de Zurbarán. The Castle is undergoing major restoration work to restore it to its former Georgian Gothic opulence, it will reopen to visitors in spring 2018.
Housed in a purpose-built extension to the Castle’s Scotland Wing, The Faith Museum will open in 2019 and will be the first museum to explore how faith and belief have influenced and shaped Britain.
Moving from the Castle grounds into the Market Place you will find the Mining Art Gallery featuring work of acclaimed local artists and from 2019 the Spanish Gallery showcasing Spanish and Latin-American art.
Our beautifully re-planted Walled Garden opens to visitors in 2020 and will supply produce for our restaurants.
Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good94
- Ian STrip Type:Solo travelUnder renovationSunday, 29th April 2018The Castle(Palace) at Bishop Auckland is being renovated outside and inside to bring it back to how it wad in the distant past. Work continues daily on this Gem in the Land of the Prince Bishops... Read full review
- whatyaseeiswhatyagetBishop Auckland, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful local gemSunday, 15th April 2018Well worth a visit although currently under major construction. We visit often in all weathers as the grounds are extensive and the Castle, history & items inside very interesting Read full review
- 938fjgUlverston, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCastle was shut,Deer House impressiveFriday, 6th April 2018We were in the area and popped in last August. the castle was shut for extensive renovation and as far as the security was concerned there were no tours of any kind. Walked through the park down to... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2018
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.