The Auckland Project is a visitor destination located in the market town of Bishop Auckland. Comprising Auckland Castle, the historical home of the Prince Bishops of Durham, a walled garden, deer park, Auckland Tower an information centre with 15m high outdoor viewing platform, museum and galleries.
Auckland Castle is the former private palace for the Prince Bishops of Durham, dating back 900 years. It houses Jacob and his Twelve Sons a rare cycle of paintings by Spanish master painter Francisco de Zurbarán. The Castle is undergoing major restoration work to restore it to its former Georgian Gothic opulence, it will reopen to visitors in spring 2019.
Housed in a purpose-built extension to the Castle’s Scotland Wing, The Faith Museum will open in 2019 and will be the first museum to explore how faith and belief have influenced and shaped Britain.
Moving from the Castle grounds into the Market Place you will find the Mining Art Gallery featuring work of acclaimed local artists and from 2019 the Spanish Gallery showcasing Spanish and Latin-American art.
Our beautifully re-planted Walled Garden opens to visitors in 2020 and will supply produce for our restaurants.
Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2018.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good102
- 2010mustangCheshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLovely and in a delightful settingTuesday, 6th November 2018Unfortunately we could only visit the grounds as there is still lots of building work going on, However, the building itself is worth seeing with the lovely gardens and park nearby, Read full review
- Angela RTrip Type:CouplesA wonderful visitThursday, 22nd November 2018Attended the opening day for Auckland tower with a young lady visiting from Brazil. Staff and volunteers couldn’t have been more helpful and friendly. We did the guided tour of the castle ( still... Read full review
- Nicky HTrip Type:Friends getawayVisit to CastleWednesday, 12th December 2018Interesting building with wonderful ceilings and decoration - undergoing renovation - it was good to see the whole area being upgraded. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2018
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.