Come and see over a thousand years of history, art, culture and faith, within the beautiful surroundings of The Auckland Project. By becoming one of our first visitors, you are a pioneer, supporting our mission to breathe new life and opportunities into the local community. So why not come and help us revitalise our history and build a bright new future for Bishop Auckland?
On arrival we recommend you start your visit at Auckland Tower, where you’ll receive a warm welcome and can buy tickets.
You can then climb our 15-metre-high viewing tower and take a bird’s eye view across the Deer Park, Castle and town. On the way down, drop into the first floor and discover a special exhibition looking at the origins of Auckland Castle and its historical residents, the mighty Prince Bishops.
The Mining Art Gallery is home to the Gemini Collection , which contains more than 420 pieces of mining art. The gallery displays work by a wealth of artists, many of whom worked in the Great Northern Coalfield, including Tom McGuinness, Tom Lamb and Bob Olley.
The jewel in Bishop Auckland’s Town, Auckland Castle is reopening on Saturday 2 November 2019, following three years of conservation.
The State Rooms and Bishop’s private apartments will return to their Gothic splendour following research into the colour of the walls, the furniture and textiles that filled the rooms and how each space would have originally been used.
It will also include the Bishop’s Kitchen café, a shop and the Bishop Trevor Gallery. Housed in the North Apartments of Auckland Castle, the gallery presents treasured pieces of art from private and esteemed collections.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good113
- Sean002Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomBreathtaking!Saturday, 7th December 2019I made two visits to Auckland castle as there is an enormous amount to see.The region is VERY fortunate to have had this valuable historic castle saved by the enthusiasm and wealth of Johnathan... Read full review
- 885iansBishop Auckland, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelCaptivating CastleTuesday, 10th December 2019Wonderful refurbishment to the highest Historical facts about the Bishops of Durham. Hours can be spent in this Palace/Castle passing through a timescape of the lives of past and present... Read full review
- FellowTraveler797326Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyExcellentWednesday, 11th December 2019We visited on 7th December and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. An annual ticket which also includes the mining Art gallery (we didn't have time to visit it on this occasion)and tower is a bargain... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Open daily (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||07:00||- 17:00|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2018
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.