The Auckland Project is a visitor destination located in the market town of Bishop Auckland. Comprising Auckland Castle, the historical home of the Prince Bishops of Durham, a walled garden, deer park, Auckland Tower an information centre with 15m high outdoor viewing platform, museum and galleries.
Auckland Castle is the former private palace for the Prince Bishops of Durham, dating back 900 years. It houses Jacob and his Twelve Sons a rare cycle of paintings by Spanish master painter Francisco de Zurbarán. The Castle is undergoing major restoration work to restore it to its former Georgian Gothic opulence, it will reopen to visitors in spring 2018.
Housed in a purpose-built extension to the Castle’s Scotland Wing, The Faith Museum will open in 2019 and will be the first museum to explore how faith and belief have influenced and shaped Britain.
Moving from the Castle grounds into the Market Place you will find the Mining Art Gallery featuring work of acclaimed local artists and from 2019 the Spanish Gallery showcasing Spanish and Latin-American art.
Our beautifully re-planted Walled Garden opens to visitors in 2020 and will supply produce for our restaurants.
Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good93
- Beccib21Newton Aycliffe, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWinter SunSaturday, 20th January 2018Excellent local walk in all weathers. Particularly special on crispy snow in winter sun. Selection of nearby coffee shops too. Read full review
- Annette JUnited KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelSplendidly Scenic Walking...Thursday, 28th December 2017The beautifully kept grounds are full of undulating paths and gentle banks to roam, and are spacious enough that you may immerse yourself in the surroundings and feel you're the only person... Read full review
- mark aTrip Type:CouplesClosed ... renovationsSunday, 24th December 2017Wear your wellies! I suspect the Deer Park wander we embarked on would have been lovely had we worn sane footwear. Lots of building work going on ...super looking miners art gallery nearby ... closed... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.