The Auckland Project is a visitor destination located in the market town of Bishop Auckland. Comprising Auckland Castle, the historical home of the Prince Bishops of Durham, a walled garden, deer park, Auckland Tower an information centre with 15m high outdoor viewing platform, museum and galleries.
Auckland Castle is the former private palace for the Prince Bishops of Durham, dating back 900 years. It houses Jacob and his Twelve Sons a rare cycle of paintings by Spanish master painter Francisco de Zurbarán. The Castle is undergoing major restoration work to restore it to its former Georgian Gothic opulence, it will reopen to visitors in spring 2018.
Housed in a purpose-built extension to the Castle’s Scotland Wing, The Faith Museum will open in 2019 and will be the first museum to explore how faith and belief have influenced and shaped Britain.
Moving from the Castle grounds into the Market Place you will find the Mining Art Gallery featuring work of acclaimed local artists and from 2019 the Spanish Gallery showcasing Spanish and Latin-American art.
Our beautifully re-planted Walled Garden opens to visitors in 2020 and will supply produce for our restaurants.
Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good90
- MrsPepperpot_12Edinburgh, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAn exciting projectMonday, 30th October 2017My third visit to Bishop Auckland this year. The Bishop's Palace is closed until next year but tbere is the recently opened Mining Art Gallery. A walk around the park is very interesting. Read full review
- Elizabeth BWhitstable, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyMiners Art Gallery in Market Place. Presented by Auckland Castle.Thursday, 26th October 2017The Castle is undergoing renovations at the moment and not open to the public. "However" the new opening of The Miners Art Gallery/Museum in the Market Place is an ABSOLUTE must see. It is... Read full review
- Donna LStockton-on-Tees, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesPark absolutely gorgeousMonday, 23rd October 2017Castle closed for refurbishment (Project Auckland -all sounds very exciting), but still able to get into surrounding park and see castle from the outside. The park was vast and wonderfully well... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.