The Auckland Project is a visitor destination located in the market town of Bishop Auckland. Comprising Auckland Castle, the historical home of the Prince Bishops of Durham, a walled garden, deer park, Auckland Tower an information centre with 15m high outdoor viewing platform, museum and galleries.
Auckland Castle is the former private palace for the Prince Bishops of Durham, dating back 900 years. It houses Jacob and his Twelve Sons a rare cycle of paintings by Spanish master painter Francisco de Zurbarán. The Castle is undergoing major restoration work to restore it to its former Georgian Gothic opulence, it will reopen to visitors in spring 2019.
Housed in a purpose-built extension to the Castle’s Scotland Wing, The Faith Museum will open in 2019 and will be the first museum to explore how faith and belief have influenced and shaped Britain.
Moving from the Castle grounds into the Market Place you will find the Mining Art Gallery featuring work of acclaimed local artists and from 2019 the Spanish Gallery showcasing Spanish and Latin-American art.
Our beautifully re-planted Walled Garden opens to visitors in 2020 and will supply produce for our restaurants.
Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2018.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good103
- Lee67N yorksTrip Type:FamilyDeer parkSaturday, 29th December 2018Lovely visit, surprised how much land the park covers. Lovely for a dog walk, right in the town centre, so handy for pubs and cafes. Will be back when the castle reopens. Read full review
- 764graemehDurham, England, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelShare the Dream of One Man...You Can!Sunday, 13th January 2019One Man, Jonathan Ruffer, had a Dream that ALL Can Share; Transformation of a Valley Town, to attract Three Hundred Thousand Every Year! A Castle, the Private Palace of 'Prince Bishops', established... Read full review
- N15SouthernRailwayTrip Type:Solo travelRestoration work going on, but nice walk round Deere park.Wednesday, 6th March 2019I found the castle by accident wondering around Bishop Auckland, whist you couldn’t see much of the castle due to restoration works, wondering around the park was pleasant enough. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2018
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.