Come and see over a thousand years of history, art, culture and faith, within the beautiful surroundings of The Auckland Project. By becoming one of our first visitors, you are a pioneer, supporting our mission to breathe new life and opportunities into the local community. So why not come and help us revitalise our history and build a bright new future for Bishop Auckland?
On arrival we recommend you start your visit at Auckland Tower, where you’ll receive a warm welcome and can buy tickets.
You can then climb our 15-metre-high viewing tower and take a bird’s eye view across the Deer Park, Castle and town. On the way down, drop into the first floor and discover a special exhibition looking at the origins of Auckland Castle and its historical residents, the mighty Prince Bishops.
The Mining Art Gallery is home to the Gemini Collection , which contains more than 420 pieces of mining art. The gallery displays work by a wealth of artists, many of whom worked in the Great Northern Coalfield, including Tom McGuinness, Tom Lamb and Bob Olley.
The jewel in Bishop Auckland’s Town, Auckland Castle is reopening on Saturday 2 November 2019, following three years of conservation.
The State Rooms and Bishop’s private apartments will return to their Gothic splendour following research into the colour of the walls, the furniture and textiles that filled the rooms and how each space would have originally been used.
It will also include the Bishop’s Kitchen café, a shop and the Bishop Trevor Gallery. Housed in the North Apartments of Auckland Castle, the gallery presents treasured pieces of art from private and esteemed collections.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good117
- alexadams62Middlesbrough, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayGood walks around the grounds and historySaturday, 25th January 2020Visited here while my friends and I were in Bishop Auckland today. The Castle was closed due to getting work done to it so we had walk around the deer park which is near the castle and learned a lot... Read full review
- 199claretBishop Auckland, United KingdomBishop Auckland’s special treasureSunday, 26th January 2020I would advise a visit to the recently re-opened Auckland Castle in February this year. It is such a celebration of the heritage of the town and of its massive importance in the story of the North... Read full review
- SuratrichardSurat Thani, ThailandInteresting and imaginativeTuesday, 28th January 2020Firstly, when entering, buy the Auckland Pass which is valid for a year and covers the Castle, miners gallery and the tower. Concessions are available. The pass means you can visit again at any time... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Open daily (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||07:00||- 17:00|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2018
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.