RSPB Saltholme is the perfect place if you’re new to birdwatching or want to get out in nature. Our family-friendly wetlands have a helpful visitor's centre and hides which let you get up close to water rail, avocet and terns, plus a cafe, play area and accessible trails and also offer a range of activities allowing people to explore the wonderful wildlife, with everything from family pond dipping sessions to out-of-hours birdwatching tours.
We’re home to a breeding colony of Common Terns, Avocet and Lapwing over the summer, have murmurations of 10,000 – 20,000 Starlings in the winter, and flocks of wildfowl and waders over winter here too. There’s also a resident Harbour Seal colony at Greatham Creek, 1.5 miles from our main site.
The café will offers lunches, snacks and drinks between 9.30 and 3.15 daily. Our shop is open from 10.00am to 4.00pm selling our range of birdfood, bird care, binoculars and gifts.
View our Accessibility Guide here.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Child (5-17)||£2.50 per ticket type|
|Student||£3.50 per ticket type|
Free entrance to RSPB members
Free entrance for Carers
Free entrance for first child; children under 5 enter free
- Visit England VAQAS 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous VisitEngland Gold Accolade 2023
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good119
- KkatiebrakelTrip Type:FamilyLovely playgroundFriday, 11th August 2023Wow! Lovely day out here with children. The playground was fabulous. Lovely walk around the lake, took about an hour, much longer ones if required. Very helpful man on Reception and the cafe... Read full review
- juddermannCounty Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFantastic Day Out!Sunday, 3rd September 2023Visited with young children. Our eldest loved the pond dipping and spotting dragonflies and other wildlife. The jewel in the crown, from his perspective, was the playground. Large, jam packed with... Read full review
- Lynn_BenyonManchester, United KingdomGreat views, great cafeFriday, 22nd September 2023Called in just to use the cafe. What a treat. Lovely food, good value, good choice. The views of the marshes from the cafe are great. Take your binoculars. Viewing from ground floor also good. So... Read full review
- Access Statement - Read our Access Statement here: https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/saltholme/accessibility/
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
- Coach Parking Onsite
- On site parking
- WiFi Available
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
|Autumn/Winter (1 Nov 2023 - 31 Mar 2024)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 16:00|
|Spring/Summer (1 Apr 2024 - 31 Oct 2024)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
New Year’s Eve 9.30am-3pm and New Year's Day 10.30am-4pm