Hamsterley Common Circular
Tel: +44 03000 265 309
AboutRoute CDW13 – 24 miles. On- and off-road sections with some challenging ups and downs over mixed terrain including single and double tracks. Superb views over Weardale but not advised in bad weather.
1. Start at Hamsterley Forest Visitor Centre and leave the Forest Drive at The Grove.
2. Take a right and then the first left turn onto an off-road forest track which takes you past a picnic area and then out onto the fells.
3. Follow the trail out to the fell road at Hill Top and turn right along the road.
4. Follow the road back across into Weardale and take the sharp right signposted Frosterley.
5. At Bollihope at the bottom of the valley leave the road before it begins to climb and follow the track along the left bank of the burn.
6. Follow the trail around to the track above White Kirkley and turn right following the track along the edge of fell land above Weardale.
7. At the road, turn right and follow the track past St John’s Hall downhill and back into Hamsterley Forest.
Route taken from Durham County Council West Cycle Map.
- Hamsterley Common Circuit
- 90 Kb
Reproduced from the Ordnance Survey mapping with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office © Crown copyright. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown copyright and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings. Durham County Council (LA 100049055) 2010.
- Designated parking provided for guests with disabilities
- Distance: Over 20 Miles
- Grade: Hard
- Route Surface: Off Road
- Route Surface: On Road
- Theme: Breathtaking Views
- Theme: Forest / Woodland Trail
- Theme: Nature
- Grade (Strenuous)
- In countryside
- Route Surface (Grassy Track/Tarmac Road)
- Route Surface (On Road) - From Hill Top to Bollihope Common the route is on road.
- Suitable for (Mountain Bike Only)
- Time (Half Day)
Map & Directions
Turn right in Hamsterley village following the brown tourist signs, turn left in hamlet of Bedburn to enter the forest and access the forest drive and car parks.
Public Transport Directions
Public transport to Hamsterley Forest is limited. Call Travelline on 0871 200 22 33 for the most up-to-date information.