AboutBuilt in the 1720s, Derwentcote is the earliest and most complete steel-making furnace in Britain. It produced high grade steel for springs and cutting tools.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good4
- Allen HNewcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdomon a walkWednesday, 28th August 2019A very old furnace with an insight into how we lived and made iron back when I was young. Very interesting place Read full review
- john eGateshead, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelNot much has changedTuesday, 24th August 2021I passd by while on a short walk in the area, and took time to renew my impressions of the site. With a bit of imagination you can understand why it was built there, and why it fell into disuse... Read full review
- SeabhagArgyll and Bute, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInformative and enjoyable guided tourTuesday, 31st August 2021The guide, John, was welcoming and informative. The walk was informal but educational, John answered lots of questions and our small group had a lovely hour. The information boards were good, but... Read full review
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs allowed on leads.
- In countryside
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* Any reasonable time during daylight hours (Grounds only - no access to Furnace). Closed 24-26 December and 1 January.