This Walk is a medium grade 4 1/2 miles (7 1/4 km) through peaceful countryside and woodland, including Auckland Castle and Binchester Roman Fort. This should take 2 – 2 1/2 hours.
1. From the Market Place, head down along Wear Chare (beside the Sportsman Inn) then turn right along the riverside road.
2. As the road (and river) bends to the left, take the path to the right up through woodland to the top of a small ridge. Head on across fields alongside the field boundary on your right, over a stile and continue on following the fence round to the left then cross a stile to the right beside a gate. Head down the hillside to a stile and bridge at the bottom of the valley.
3. Cross the footbridge, then turn right after a short distance into Bellburn Wood. Follow the clear path through the wood to reach an old railway bridge.
4. Turn right at this bridge up onto the railway walk. Follow the old track-bed for 1 mile.
5. Turn right immediately after the golf course.
6. Cross the golf club road and continue straight on down to reach the main road (take care).
7. Turn right along the road then right again back into the Market Place.
- Distance: 1-5 Miles
- Route Surface: Off Road
- On-Site café/restaurant - There are various shops, pubs, restaurants, cafés and fast food restaurants in Bishop Auckland, particularly around the Market Place.
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - There are several large car parks throughout the Town Centre, or there is also parking at The Batts beside the River Wear, charges may apply.
- Toilets - There are Public Conveniences at the Bus Station.
- Grade (Moderate)
- In countryside
- In town/city centre
- Outdoor Attraction
- Time (2-3 hours)