Bishop Auckland to Weardale Cycle Route
Route: (undulating with sharp climbs) - 65 miles
1. Beginning in the Market Place, Bishop Auckland, head out over the viaduct on the A689 towards Howden then on to Fir Tree, turning right at T-junction onto A68 to Harperley roundabout;
2. Turn left towards Wolsingham on the A689 and follow through Wolsingham, Frosterley and Stanhope to Eastgate.
3. In Eastgate turn right to Rookhope (gardens) and follow through village on towards Allenheads;
4. Descend the hill (taking care on hairpins) and turn left to Cowshill;
5. Follow A689 back towards Daddry Shield (passing Weardale Museum on left) and turn right just before bridge onto minor road (signed Brotherlee) and follow to Stanhope.
6. Continue down the Dale on A689 to Wolsingham turning right in village onto the Causeway and up Wears Bank;
7. Past top of climb fork left onto minor road then left after climb to Hamsterley.
8. At T-junction turn left through village then bear right (signed Toft Hill) and follow to T-junction at top of hill;
9. Turn left (signed West Auckland) then left again at next T-junction, follow for ¼ mile then bear right and immediately left (signed West Auckland) and follow to T junction with A68;
10. Descend bank to West Auckland, keep left and follow road through village and back to Bishop Auckland.
This route passes near to the following Taste Durham establishment: Bradley Burn Farm Shop and Cafe, The Durham Dales Centre
- Distance: Over 20 Miles
- Grade: Hard
- Theme: Breathtaking Views
- Theme: Heritage
- Theme: Nature
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge)
- Grade (Strenuous)
- In countryside
- Route Surface (On Road)
- Suitable For (Mountain Bike/Tourer)
- Time (Full Day)