AboutThis Route is a relatively easy 5 mile (8 1/4 km) walk that should take 2 1/2 hours taking in Escomb Saxon Church and The River Wear.
1. Follow the lane from the north east corner of the ‘oval’ surrounding the Saxon Church down (it soon becomes a track) to reach the River Wear.
2. Turn left along the riverbank, passing between a small lake on your left and the river on your right.
3. Turn left away from the river immediately after this small lake. Follow the grassy path up (with the lake on your left) to join a clear track which you follow to the left back into Escomb.
4. As you reach the houses at Escomb, turn right and follow the footpath climbing gently up then, after a short distance, turn right along a track away from the village on to reach a bridlegate (plantation on your left).
5. Continue straight on then where the path divides, follow the left hand path up a gentle incline (plantation on your left), then round to the right on to join a lane.
6. Turn right along the track and follow it bending to the left up over the railway line.
7. After the Railway Bridge, turn right then follow the path to the left up across fields to reach the road.
8. Turn left along the roadside path on to reach a T-junction.
9. Take the path opposite to the right, and follow this clear enclosed path across fields then alongside housing on your right down to reach a road.
10. Turn left along the track and follow it down (it soon becomes a footpath) to reach the railway line again.
11. After the railway line (and stile) bear right down through woodland then where the river comes into view (by a bench) turn left down through woodland to reach a footbridge across the ‘red beck’ beside the River Wear.
12. Cross the footbridge and follow the riverside path back towards Escomb.
13. As you approach Escomb (houses up to your left), follow the left-hand path up into the village.
- Distance: 1-5 Miles
- Grade: Easy
- Route Surface: Off Road
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Free roadside parking beside the Saxon Church in the village.
- Grade (Easy)
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- Time (2-3 hours)
- Village Location