**A County Durham museum will not open to the public for the start of the summer season as planned. Durham County Council has taken the decision not to open Killhope at the beginning of next month, after an inspection revealed issues with the condition of some of the structures on the site therefore would not be fair to welcome visitors when they are not able to access the whole of the site.**
The café offers a wonderful menu with a choice of home-made soups, sandwiches, scones, cakes and lots more. Ingredients are organic or locally sourced where possible.
There are highchairs available and baby changing facilities in the accessible toilet.
We now have a stunning awning over our picnic area to enable you to dine in the great outdoors.
Our shop has an array of gifts, souvenirs, jewellery and books.
Many gifts have been made by local crafts people, local suppliers, using local resources or using recycled materials or are in some way environmentally friendly.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good6
- DaddysBabyBelleDalmeny, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery disappointed.. out of date cake??Sunday, 28th July 2019So we came here in hope of tea and cake. The vegan tart we bought was 3 days.. and a month out of date. The chocolate cake was okay but tasted store bought and burnt, the tea was great since it was... Read full review
- 321KSGBarnard Castle, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelLovelyWednesday, 4th September 2019Chunky bacon sarnie and freshly baked cakes served by friendly staff. Great for a run up the dales. Good price too Read full review
- Eddie730Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesHmmm, what's going on?Saturday, 14th September 2019Love visiting the museum attached to the café. Haven't been for a while and are looking forward to seeing Pip and eating her very good food. Extremely surprised to find the café opening 30 mins... Read full review
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age)
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Shop (1 Apr 2019 - 3 Nov 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Cafe (1 Apr 2019 - 3 Nov 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Free admission to shop and café.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A69. Take the A689 road, Killhope is situated between Alston and Stanhope.
Public Transport Directions
For Public travel information - please call Traveline 0871 200 22 33. Weardale Travel (01388 528 235) service 101 Runs up to Killhope at request on Sundays and in summer holidays.