The farmhouse has recently undergone extensive refurbishment bringing it back to its former glory, together with 20thC comforts, but still retains the natural stone floors, beamed pine ceilings and doors, and open log fires in winter.
A wonderful conservatory, spanning the front of the house where breakfast and dinner are served, gives a feeling of being outside but comfortable and warm inside, even on the dampest day.
The panoramic view across the dale must be one of the best in Weardale. An excellent home-cooked English breakfast with locally produced food is served.
Dinner is served in a candlelit dining-room with antique furniture. Good menus (Jan is an excellent cook) with fresh salmon, lamb and home reared Hereford beef a speciality. Vegetarian food and other diets are available (organic food and game when available). Guests are welcome to bring their own wine for dinner.
Large, warm and cosy bedrooms with colour TV and radio. All rooms are exceptionally well fitted with pine and antique furniture. Double/twin rooms can be let as singles.
Green Tourism Award Winner 1994, Tourism and Environment Award 1998, AA pie award for evening meals for 10 years, AA breakfast award for good local food and silver award in World Marmalade Championships 2017.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double en suite (shower)||£75.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Family en suite (with shower)||£85.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Twin Private Bathroom with Shower||£75.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Also available as:|
|Single Private Bathroom with Shower||£52.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good1
- Gail MGreat Yarmouth, United KingdomNellys CottageWednesday, 8th August 2018We spent a lovely week in Nellys cottage. Extremely well presented with everything you could want in a self catering cottage.The scones and jam were lovely, thanks to Jan for those. Wonderful views... Read full review
- Glo and Chris J... JTrip Type:FamilyThe Magic of Nelly & Alice's CottagesTuesday, 13th November 2018As a family, we rented both Nelly and Alice's Cottages for a recent family reunion. We were so warmly welcomed by both Harry and especially Janet who showed us around the cottages and made sure we... Read full review
- RebeccahShilohAshford, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNelly's Cottage - a peaceful havenSaturday, 31st August 2019We rented the cottage for a 2 week family holiday. The cottage is beautiful - very well-equipped, and excellent for less able members of the family. Plenty of space. The accessible bathrooms are very... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 4
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Safe parking for 10 cars.
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - Green Tourism Award winner. Home produced vegetables and herbs. Own lamb, pheasants, salmon, locally produced organic policy.Green Tourism Buisness Scheme (Silver Award) 2007.
- Walkers Welcome
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
Map & Directions
From M6 jct 40. On the A689, Alston is 10 miles (north west), Stanhope is 10 miles (south east). Penrith A686 to Alston, A689 to Durham. Ten miles from Alston on the left-hand side of the road.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Bus to Crook, Stanhope, Cowshill. One mile walk to Cornriggs on the A689 going west.