Jill and Rupert Richardson (and our dog, cat and bees) look forward to welcoming you to this lovely, comfortable Victorian house with its delightful gardens. As a small, high-quality bed and breakfast establishment, we aim to provide a comfortable, welcoming, peaceful home for you to enjoy; and we do GREAT breakfasts! - full of local produce.
As a recent, regular, guest put it: “Jill and Rupert at Dowfold House are a class act. They offer bed and breakfasting in grand style, but somehow make it friendly and intimate.” It's a brilliant encapsulation of all that we try to do.
We're proud of our green credentials, but aware we need to do more. "Green, but without the hair shirt" is our motto.
And, from Dowfold House Bed & Breakfast, there's plenty to do. From railway rides to walks and cycle rides; from gardens to more strenuous pursuits. There's something for everyone.
- Arrival Date:
- Tues , 27th Aug 2019
- Departure Date:
- Wed , 28th Aug 2019
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double en suite||£40.00 per person (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite||£45.00 per person (breakfast included)|
|Twin en suite||£40.00 per person (breakfast included)|
*Single occupancy of any room from £60 per night.
The Twin en suite may be configured with a third bed and/or SuperKing bed, at £10/night extra cost
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Green Leader Platinum Award 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- GreenLeader Platinum
- Very Good4
- hagahaga123Friendly, helpful and welcomingWednesday, 14th August 2019House is beautifully decorated, rooms large and comfortable, with tasteful decor. Felt welcome, and kindly recommended a great Italian called Viva in Crook for dinner. Breakfast was delicious, the... Read full review
- Amilcar64Extremely comfortable, with personable and helpful hostsTuesday, 20th August 2019This is an excellent property to stay at if you are visiting Durham and environs. A large, traditional house, with plenty of room in the public areas. Jill and Rupert could not be better-informed... Read full review
- drs-swindonswindonWelcoming, thoughtful and helpfulFriday, 23rd August 2019We felt very welcomed by Jill and Rupert who provided us with a very thoughtful and helpful stay. Dowfold House is peaceful and in a quiet location and it is within easy reach of Durham City and... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Bookable Product Facilities
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Non smoking rooms available
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Serve breakfast - Our delicious breakfast is FREE to guests; many of our guests bring in family or friends to join them for breakfast, at £10/head
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- French spoken - On parle francais assez bien
- German spoken - Etwas Deutsch gesprochen
- Italian spoken - Un poco
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - FREE to guests; feel free to leave your car here if you wish during the day.
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Central heating throughout
- Garden/patio for guests use
- Ironing facilities
- Pets accepted - We love dogs - they bring such nice owners! 2 dogs per room (£2.50 per dog per night). Stabling for horses can be arranged - please ring.
- Real log/coal fires
- Separate guests' lounge
- Staff Fluent in Languages - Other - Francais, Deutsch, italiano
- In countryside
- Non smoking establishment
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Historic building linked to the County Durham coal mines and the Pease family. See more on our web-site
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - We have a Gold Award from the Green Tourism Business Scheme, and seek to help our guests enjoy local produce and to visit other Green-rated attractions in the area. We recycle like mad and hope our guests will want to as well.
- Marketed to any other specialist market - We are particularly popular with parents of students at Durham University. We also offer a very warm welcome to those wishing to visit friends and family in the area; lots of people come here for this and find it very convenient. House hunters find us conveniently central for County Durham
- Special provisions for cyclists - In an area attractive to cyclists. Can offer secure inside location for cycles overnight.
- Special provisions for walkers - In an area attractive to walkers, walking maps available. A drying room is here for those damper moments!
- Walkers Welcome
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
Bookable Product Facilities: Double en suite
- Size in square meters - 16
|2019 (2 Jan 2019 - 21 Dec 2019)|
* Open all year (except Christmas/New Year), but, having only three rooms, we fill up fast! Book early to avoid disappointment.
Map & Directions
From Crook town centre, head along the A690, direction Durham. You will go up a long hill (Wheatbottom). At the crossroads at the top, turn left into Low Jobs Hill (signposted 'Tow Law 5'). We're about 700 yards along on the left - the last house. If you reach Church Hill you've missed it! (shows on sat-navs as Hillcrest).
Public Transport Directions
From Durham - 8 miles. Bus from Durham City to Crook market place. Walk from market place up Church Hill to Low Job's Hill, or call us and we'll pick you up.