A 19th century water fountain built by a movement against alcohol has been returned to its former glory as part of a heritage project.
The Castle Chare fountain in Bishop Auckland, erected in 1873 by the Temperance Society, has been lovingly restored through the town’s Heritage Action Zone (HAZ), which is funded by Durham County Council and Historic England.
The work has seen a new interpretation board put in close to the fountain and follows long-term efforts by the council in partnership with Bishop Auckland and Coundon in Bloom Group and local residents to enhance the area.
The interpretation board tells how the temperance movement was very active in the 1870s. In Bishop Auckland the Temperance Hall was built along with three temperance hotels while ‘Cocoa Palaces’ were set up in shopping areas to provide alternatives to alcoholic establishments. The board explains that the fountain, which is no longer operational, was aimed at animals as well as people, as was its sister structure which was located in an area where there were many public houses.